Reports: USC to hire Clay McGuire as OL coach

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Jan 20, 2021
    I'm pretty sure this is a good hire given the inevitability of the AR offense at USC (it is really hard to say the latter). If you were hoping a big time OL coach was coming to USC I would have to question your logic.

2. Ride Fly

Ride Fly Junior Member

Jan 20, 2021
    Funniest POTD!!
    Winner!

3. Troyview

Troyview Points Member

Jan 20, 2021
    If this is true, I do believe there will be ramifications in our ability to recruit top offensive lineman, now and going forward. The top recruits coming out of high school for the most part have NFL aspirations. I don't know of an NFL program that runs the "Air Raid" offense. I think we all know, the successful teams run balanced offenses and those that don't aspire to. With that in mind, if I'm a top recruit, and I personally am not, I want to go to a program where I can develop my skills, showcase them on Saturday and be prepared for the next level of competition. I don't see the attraction to the Air Raid offense if you have NFL aspirations outside of the wideouts and possibly the QB. Other than that, I don't see the system as a developer for the next level. Maybe a reason we have seen alot of lineman drafted in the early rounds or even drafted like we used to see.

If Bohn truly is pondering Clay's exit, why would you now go all in on the Air Raid. Once the dance is over it will take a couple of years to convince recruits to return, if in fact SC can offer them a system that will develop them for the next level. Otherwise we are morphing into Western Kentucky and very quickly and should ponder a move to the Mountain West.

Hockey10 likes this.
  4. Eeks2284

Eeks2284 Junior Member

Jan 20, 2021
    His experience as both an OL and RB coach hopefully translates into him caring enough about the optics of bad run game production to get in Harrell's ear about it with his play-calling. NFL players Joe Dahl and former 1st rounder Andre Dillard suited up for McGuire at Wazzu, though neither is really lighting it up in the pros. Step up in USC talent will give McGuire an opportunity to improve his "I know how to coach pros" resume like USC did for Drevno.

I'd like to see more creativity with the short yardage play calling and obviously better results.

5. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 20, 2021
    Does this mean Clay safe for at least 2 seasons? Weak schedule next season will give Folt the excuse to extend Clay. Count me out donating

6. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Jan 20, 2021
    Your first point: I do believe there will be ramifications in our ability to recruit top offensive lineman, now and going forward
    • That ship has sailed
    Your second point: If Bohn truly is pondering Clay's exit, why would you now go all in on the Air Raid
    • Why wouldn't you? It's Helton's program. Give him the rope. If he hangs himself, Bohn's job to let him go is a lot easier

7. oajr01

oajr01 Junior Member

Jan 20, 2021
    Why in the fk would any legit OL recruit choose USC?

I honestly don't get it. Any of it.

8. BeachFAN

BeachFAN Junior Member

Jan 20, 2021
    Amazingly awful, yet typical, low budget, chicken sh$t USC hire. The old "buy low/sell high" strategy. Once again USC is betting that a LOSER will all of a sudden come to Jesus and become a savant winner. We all know how this will turn out...

TrojanMafia likes this.
  9. Ride Fly

Ride Fly Junior Member

Jan 21, 2021
    To both of you guys, a warning! Be vewy vewy cayuful! The sunshine pumper-Claydough-luvr-wabbits like Beeto, and Kandiboy will cry snowflake teardrops and start calling you names. LOL

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  10. Scalum76

Scalum76 Junior Member

Jan 21, 2021
    Can he recruit?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  11. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Jan 21, 2021
    You can have the greatest OL coach that every existed (who ever that is), but if they're not on the same page with their OC then you have a mess. Harrell is running an Air Raid lite offense and needs an OL coach that understands its concepts. Drevno was a good OL coach but had never worked with the types of schemes Harrell was planning.

For years folks on this board have screamed that USC needs to stop hiring coaches that haven't done the specific job before and that learning on the job was not a good idea for a coach in the USC football program. Bohn has shown he understands this and is hiring coaches that fit the job he's hiring them for... a S&C coach that has done this for a D1 football team and an OL coach that has coached OLs running the Air Raid.

All good signs that when Bohn moves on from Helton, the new USC HC will not be a newbie HC or some first time HC in college.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  12. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jan 21, 2021
    Ha! Your post would fit so perfect on a 1960 USC message board after John McKay was hired. A guy from a terrible Oregon program with not only zero HC experience, but even no Coordinator experience! How cheap do you think they got this newbie?

13. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Jan 21, 2021
    Any idea what is the holdup in the announcement? Personally I wish they went after Hand and let Harrell go on his merry way. Do you think there’s any chance Bohn elects for bigger changes towards the Hand opportunity?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  14. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jan 21, 2021
    No....

15. August West

August West Points Member

Jan 23, 2021
    This is a really good hire.
    Played for Leach at Tech.
    Worked under Leach for 10 seasons, 6 as OL coach.
    Worked with Graham for 2 seasons at WSU.
    This hire came from Graham’s rolodex, Gomer had no clue who he was.
    The run game did well under his watch.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  16. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Jan 23, 2021
    Pure speculation but it probably has something to do with his family not wanting to move from Texas. I read a report that the reason he took the Texas State just in the first place was to stay in Texas - he's a native. He has two daughters, no idea of their ages, but short of them being toddlers they probably are not wild about moving.

I'd have to assume that his wife Jeri is doing her "due diligence" look into the USC program. Reading in the media and fan websites like this about Helton's super hot seat status can't be reassuring her that the family won't be moving again in less than a year if Bohn fires Helton at the end of the 2021 season.

Also checking a Cost of Living calculator for San Marcos Texas to Orange County (home of most USC coaches)... its 54.4% higher... and cost of housing is 150.5% higher. So that bigger check USC has put in front of him and his family won't seem as big once they do so comparative house hunting in the southern California area - buying or just renting.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  17. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jan 23, 2021
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    August West
    Today at 6:59 AM
    This is a really good hire.
    Played for Leach at Tech.
    Worked under Leach for 10 seasons, 6 as OL coach.
    Worked with Graham for 2 seasons at WSU.
    This hire came from Graham’s rolodex, Gomer had no clue who he was.
    The run game did well under his watch.

Absolutely agree! the much needed holes through which to run are coming now, along with better protection for Slovis. Improvements on Offense along with an even stronger Defense,,,
    Can't wait for spring ball.

Time to jump on the positive train Clay detractors, these additions just might lead to Clay staying in your lives for many more years.

18. JC SOXX

JC SOXX Junior Member

Jan 23, 2021
    I'm happy with this hire. Everything is looking so much better at SC now. The SC Air Raid offense will be hard to stop. The personnel will have to change to suit this offense, like our new O- line coach Clay Mcguire and WRs like KD Nixon. Look for Bru McCoy and Kenan Christon to really take over next year.

19. Bilbo

Bilbo Points Member

Jan 23, 2021
    I have not seen a report from Erik confirming this hire ..

20. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Jan 23, 2021
    And I thought you were going to say “son of a -itch”