Report: USC offers OL coach position to Brad Davis

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 10, 2021.

2. USCHusbandUCLAWife

USCHusbandUCLAWife Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    But can he recruit?

3. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 11, 2021
    I know everyone does it these days but I wonder if he'd like it if every off season Mrs. Graham Harrell goes out on interviews with other men to see what else is out there? Looking to better deal him.

He's starting to come off like a [email protected]$$ that needs attention to entertain every offer he's linked too. How can you trust someone like this? He's not even the front runner for most of these jobs. That's what an agent is fo. Have him feel out offers.

**This Davis guy moves around too. It use to be a flaw on a resume when a guy can't stay in one place. Nobody has gone out thier way to keep this guy that's gotta be a concern. Arkansas has been a complete joke the last few years there's that too. This could be another one of those Neil Callaway hook up my buddies hires.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    TrojanHorse, gubo&palanka and jjg4sc like this.
  4. billsb1970

billsb1970 Junior Member

Jan 11, 2021
    We just need him for one season then Helton will be gone along with the air raid.

Jose, Troy70, gubo&palanka and 2 others like this.
  5. TrojanMafia

TrojanMafia Points Member

Jan 11, 2021
    Heard he’s not a great run blocking coach...

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  6. Troyview

Troyview Points Member

Jan 11, 2021
    I would think, if accepted, this contract will be telling as to Bohn's commitment to Helton, Harrell and the Air Raid.

I would think the direction on this is coming from Harrell and not Bohn

7. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jan 11, 2021
    The thought from Arkansas people definitely seems to be that the pass blocking improved a lot more than the run blocking this past season. But there have been major issues with that Arkansas offensive line over the past few years.

8. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jan 11, 2021
    Spoke with someone who covered Davis at a previous stop. The feedback was that Davis is very much a players' coach and the players really gravitate to him and his teaching methods. He's not going to be compared to someone like Donte Williams as one of the nation's best recruiters, but he was better than most and likely has grown in that regard over the past few years. No complaints about any real visible issues with how he went about his business and the results he produced.

9. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Jan 11, 2021
    I think what we need at this point is a recruiter, nit a great OL coach.
    We need top talent at the OL position or our QB’s will keep getting killed.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jan 11, 2021
    Not so sure about that brother. Clemson, Bama, LSU, Georgia, Oregon seem to get the best out of 3 and 4-star offensive linemen. 5-star linemen are rare luxuries. I'd rather have a guy who can teach the fundamentals and just get our guys to do things properly. We are not hurting from a lack of talent at the position.

Puluke, Oregon Trojan and qqqqqqqman like this.
  11. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 11, 2021
    If that’s the case we should have went after Iowa state or Wisconsin’s Oline coaches as they can take 3 stars and coach them up, but we got an Oline coach that can support the Harrell’s Air Raid offense! This is Harrell’s guy so either it works or it doesn’t. That’s the risk when you bring in your own guy. You live and die by the sword!
    Fight On!

12. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 11, 2021
    It HAS to be a package deal for it to work. Harrell inherited Drevno and their philosophies couldn't have been more different. If this hire doesn't result in improvement, you now need to get rid of both of them. Now let's see if these OL are teachable.

TrojanHorse likes this.
  13. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Jan 11, 2021
    This actually seems to be the underlying plan to me. As @GoSC27! said, "now there are no excuses." If we don't see a significant improvement next year, it sort of clears the decks for a whole lot of changes.

Trojack likes this.
  14. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Jan 11, 2021
    “He’s unbelievable in how much he teaches you,” said Arkansas offensive lineman Dalton Wagner, according to HawgBeat.com. “Coach Davis, his expectations are way higher than anybody has ever had for us before…He demands perfection in everything he does. He coaches us as hard as he can because he wants us to be successful.”

Sounds on point

Wolfpack4SC likes this.
  15. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 11, 2021
    Just out of curiosity what is your take on Jinks. I thought he was also supposed to have some background with the Air Raid. Definitely not Deland! Out of sight out of mind!
    Fight On!

16. Ojaitrojan

Ojaitrojan Points Member

Jan 11, 2021
    Okay, he was offered, do we know if he's going to accept?

17. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jan 11, 2021
    Since he’s Harrell’s guy, I think the probability is high he’ll be accepting. As somebody mentioned in another thread, Helton will have no more excuses after this hire. The entire staffs on both sides of the ball have been replaced and if next season, there isn’t marked improvement, Helton will have no more excuses. I’m of the opinion that if Helton can’t win the conference next season, he should be replaced no matter what his record is....

Rodgarnay51 likes this.