Report: USC intends to cancel its game with UC Davis

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Feb 19, 2020.

2. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Indeed, but a worthwhile one. The Former Athletic Department regime was beyond incompetent and scheduling an FCS opponent is not what USC represents. I applaud Bohn for making this decision. It is time to to re-establish what USC is all about.

3. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Actually if we can find an opponent (IF!!!) that will do a 1 & 1 or someone we won’t have to pay - or pay as much, I guess it’s not that big of a deal.

4. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Was this a Lynn & Lopes brain storm?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Feb 19, 2020
    San Jose State just opened up on that date. The Spartans were originally scheduled against Georgia for that day, but Georgia bought the game out in order to play Clemson. Georgia has to pay San Jose State $1.8 million to cancel the game.

2021 is a schedule where USC has four Pac-12 road trips instead of five, so it wouldn’t be terrible if USC had to make this a road game for a home-and-home with a big name. But getting a seventh home game against San Jose State makes sense.

6. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Who made the stupid decision to schedule them? Was it the interim AD?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    I applaud this move. We have so little these days that seem still uniquely USC tradition that I feel it's important to hold on to whatever tradition we have. While claiming we have never played a non-FBS team might not seem like much in the way of bragging rights, I think it means a lot to long-time fans. Thank you, Bohn.

8. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    I’m a little less worried about names being put on the uniforms now as well. Tradition is a beautiful thing.

9. Globe

Globe Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Playing San Jose St instead of UC Davis - that’ll return us right back to powerhouse status!

SoCalN8tiv likes this.
  10. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Feb 19, 2020
    This aspect of it was definitely part of the conversation when the game was scheduled. If Oregon beats North Dakota State early next season, that win will probably be seen as better than a few others they’ll pick up next year. USC’s hypothetical win against UC Davis in 2021 would probably be better than beating some programs at the bottom of some Group of Five conferences.

But it’s a talking point and I do ultimately fall on the side of not wanting to play an FCS school. However, I’m more than willing to point out that Clemson, Alabama and LSU are sleeping just fine having played them.

11. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Now the Aggies will claim that SC is scared of them!

SoCalN8tiv likes this.
  12. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    And padding their records, stat sheets, etc. Recruits don't care about who they are playing as much as they do about padding their stats for a run at awards, records, and the NFL. Also, Bama, LSU, Clemson, et al. get to empty their benches for the second half of those games giving them much needed gametime experience. Clemson had one of the biggest cake schedules in recent memory and it seemed to be just fine for them making the playoff. Having a 7, 8, or even 9 home game season is a huge advantage. It's always a necessary consideration. How much does saying "we have never played an FCS opponent" going to help us when we are making an argument to be in the CFP? I'm pretty sure it won't even be uttered by anyone on the CFP committee. They don't care. They care about stats, records, and ratings. It's our unfortunate reality.

13. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    While I always liked the mystique of USC never having played a D I-AA or FCS opponent, I was okay with us picking up the Davis game.

As mentioned, many other schools do it, and it never seems to hurt them, especially as it is typically a Top 25 team smoking some vastly inferior opponent to the tune of 63-10 or something. The starting squads get to knock the rust off and try out the new plays and players in an actual game, and the freshmen and second-string get some valuable playing time.

Playing a schedule of heavyweights from Week 1 onward is a recipe for an unexpected loss or three.

Yup All Right likes this.
  14. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    And you're not even rewarded for doing so. I'm as traditional as the next Trojan guy, but it's unnecessary risk to play 6 road games every other season. We had one non-conference home game last season. While the Bamas, Clemsons, LSUs usually play 3-4 non-conference games at home each year...and if they have one on the road, often it's at a neutral site. This affects recruiting when kids want their family and friends to come to a game to watch them play. If you have only 6-7 home games, while other schools have 8-9 home games, where would you lean with all else being equal? Granted if USC were winning like they were in the early 2000s, that point would be moot.

15. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 20, 2020
    Agree. Another pricey mistake. Damn, the stupidity around that place.

I applaud Bohn for seeing the game for what it would have been -- a colossal mistake -- and then fixing it.

16. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 20, 2020
    There are plenty of low level FBS schools to play, if people like Lopes and Swann who do or oversee the scheduling were doing their jobs.

UNLV, New Mexico, San Jose State, Fresno State, San Diego State, Idaho, Hawaii, Western Michigan, etc. Unless we have a huge opener, we could have a 5 or 7 year rotation with some core group.