Report: Harrell interviewed with UNLV

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    this is right on. I thought it was obvious that he was learning on the job, and his offense did not produce any where near his potential. He came in preaching “only three plays” which dumbfounded every one and really illustrated his immaturity. I think you have to question whether he improved over the year As well just for the facts you posted. With all the clamor of how USC should attract the best coaches he wasn’t an example of that. If anything I thought he was an example of just how strung USC is for their football program budget.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  2. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/12/4/20996101/graham-harrell-interview-texas-longhorns-usc-clay-helton

According to this: He was also in Houston yesterday to Interview with Texas for the OC job. I did see a twitter photo confirming he was in fact in Texas.
    [​IMG]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/former-san-antonio-commanders-coach-mike-riley-interested-in-utsa-opening/ar-BBXMb5M

Apparently he also interviewed for the UTSA (San Antonio) Head Coaching Job Monday

"A report from Horns247 said USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell interviewed for the UTSA opening Monday".

2 HC job interviews
    1 OC interview

Our guy has been busy looking around. lol

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    PickSicx, Rodgarnay51 and Troy70 like this.
  3. TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Shoot can't blame him.

Dude has gone from being an OC at North Texas (even bad for a G5 program). To the OC at USC and now being interviewed for head coaching positions.

I think UNLV will be the best option for him though.

CP619 and Cardinal&Gold like this.
  4. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    First of all, the offense was much improved, specifically in scoring and yardage. Harrell did what he was brought here to do. The only complaint from me is the running game. However, even with that, we had our top 3 RBs out for multiple games... before that we avg like 132 yds per game, including a whopping 13 yds against Utah. That game hurt avg, no doubt, but then all the RBs go down and the freshman just was not as effective and Harrell somewhat abandoned the run game at that point. This is one of those "Shit Happens" moments. Harrell did a little grumbling about the weak practices and it is quite possible he sees Clay as weak and sinking the ship. His work in developing this offense and in particular Slovis, I think, turned out to be pretty good for the most part. Offense was certainly not the issue on this team, more so the defense.

The part about "USC attracting the best coaches"... well, as long as Helton remains here that is going to be an issue as it was last year. Helton came in on the National Hot Seat list and will remain there during the off season and next year. At this point, SC is not going to attract top coaching talent. It is "up and comer" status for us as long as Hot Seat Helton is here. We have talent on this team right now, but if it cannot be developed to be better, then it is a waste.

5. Wolfpack4SC

Dec 5, 2019
    Could it be that these moves are a play for a pay bump? He seems terribly unqualified for a HC job at this point, but then again that is his aspiration. Would you consider him a potential HC candidate for USC?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  6. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    If Harrell leaves, Jinks is likely to step in as OC... not Hot Seat Helton. Jinks worked at TT, was a HC at Bowling Green and is very familiar with this offense. UNLESS Jinks goes with Harrell.

7. Wolfpack4SC

Dec 5, 2019
    did you even read the post I linked which disputed most of your post?
    I think there was evidence of huge player development across the board this past year. Yes there are still issues with Helton and his hot seat, but this thread is about Harrell. I think there are a lot of better coordinators out there who could have done better, and I don’t think obtaining those coaching commitments was all about Helton especially when you look at the latest news.

8. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I would wager someone inside HH was actually messing with him.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  9. Who's High Pitch?

Who's High Pitch? Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Hey, don't Jinks it!

AMLTrojan likes this.
  10. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Texas should hire Applewhite as their OC. He is a former texas player, has been OC before with Herman, and is being wasted as an analyst in Bama.

If texas hires Harrell then maybe Helton goes after Applewhite.

11. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Recall at BYU tv showing Graham with his head set off after play calling changed. Think Clay took over after ints. He didn’t talk with media post game. He is gone .

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  12. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    UNLV would be a great landing spot for him. The conference is winable

He would reunite with Randal Grimes who had a pretty good year ✌

13. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Well, that's a good point. I think Tee Martin (with Helton's help) set the bar so low that it was easy for Harrell to jump over easily. I think that's one of the reasons why we forget that Harrell was not Don Coryell. It also didn't hurt him that he received borderline miraculous QB play from a true freshman. IMO Harrell was good, but not great.

Cyrus likes this.
  14. Rodgarnay51

Dec 5, 2019
    We should follow suit.

15. Rodgarnay51

Dec 5, 2019
    You keep saying that.

16. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    The one that regularly put up 600 yards of offense a game, scoring 45, 41, 41, 52 . . . points at various times this season?

Gimmick like Switzer's wishbone? Dabbo's read option? The hurry up? The run and shoot? Yeah, heaven forbid out offense be on the cutting edge of innovation.

If that's a "gimmick", then please, more gimmicks.

I hope, for your sake, that once Harrell is gone and Helton goes back to his 3 yards and a cloud of dust "commitment to the running game", you enjoy the offensive (or complete lack there of) product that our offensive minded head coach puts on the field.

Cyrus likes this.
  17. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    not without an offensive line.....
    and a t formation

18. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    If Harrell is going to leave, I think he'd be better off going to Texas and working as Herman's OC for a few years, than becoming the next HC to watch his career die at UNLV. Harrell still has some things to learn. Texas will probably pay him as much or nearly as much to be the OC as UNLV would to be the HC. He could work at a school that really cares about football, continue learning, burnish his resume and then jump to a much better program than UNLV. IMHO.

Troy70 likes this.
  19. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Texas supposedly offered him almost 3 mil a year.
    That would make him the highest paid OC and maybe the highest paid assistant.

I don't think we will offer that type of money