Report: Graham Harrell interviewing with the Eagles

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 17, 2020.

1. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Right. When there is a portal that allows students to step in-and-out of their commitment?

It isn't a lack of character to pursue upward mobility in your career or provide greater financial security for your family.
    Did he throw his hat in the ring or did the eagles contact him? He has an agent. His agent's job is to advocate for his client. He likely agreed to the extension before he knew of the option with the eagles.

I really don't understand all the drama around his potential departure. I don't know too many people who bought into his system in the 1st place.

And as the point was made, I suppose you both are in favor of honoring clay helton's extension until it's complete?

2. reTiredEngr

reTiredEngr Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    People forget that "loyalty" is a two-way street. :-/

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  3. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    This is where you are wrong. You can certainly speak for yourself of course.

4. reaLchaZZZy

reaLchaZZZy Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Harrell's smart move if an NFL OC position is offered is to take it.
    Business and employment is all about relationships and your rolodex and his with Helton is at a dead end.

Don't blame Harrell for this.
    Hold Folt and Bohn accountable.

5. twenty twenty

twenty twenty Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Helton has had 5 years, a 64% winning percentage. His contract has been honored and should never have been extended.
    Football team is counting on Harrell, all his talk upon signing the extension was crap. He just signed a very lucrative contract.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  6. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Holy shit, could it be any more simple? You’re a car guy, would you drop a new engine and state of art tires on body that’s rusted out? No you buy a new fucking car. What this administration will do just to make Helton appear viable is total lunacy. It’s almost like they are so dug in on Clay that they can’t get out. Would any business in America or even any school go to these lengths to protect a sub standard member of the organization?

7. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Spell check error - Keen obviously meant MacGruber.

8. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    SC doesn’t deserve loyalty after shafting me out of my old seats. Looks like only Graham on staff has NFL interested. I still think Clay took over play calling at BYU in 2nd half. Why would any hot coach tie himself to Clay.

9. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    This. When USC starts to act with integrity, and only then, should we be talking about treating USC with integrity.

Look no further than how USC treated Dean Ellis...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Troy70, reaLchaZZZy, Trojan12 and 2 others like this.
  10. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Good for GH. I think the ones pissed off at GH are just venting because... if he bounces, SC sinks even lower. The offense was really the only bright spot/improvement from last year and kept us from a 6-6 type season.

Not sure if GH will be offered the OC position in Philly, but good teams generally lose coordinators... look at Bama and such. They get poached here and their as many have desires to move up. Many are pissed because subconsciously they realize, Helton is not Saban or Meyers, therefore any replacement for GH will be weak and now is venting and bitching time.

3rd Slide likes this.
  11. 1stNGoalSC

1stNGoalSC Points Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I'm not bothered by his departure due to loss of his air raid system, I'm bothered by the bullxxxx leaving immediately after signing an extension. The same way Kingsbury is an a-hole and bolted immediately.

As to CH, there is a big difference here. He wasn't canned immediately after signing his extension. He should have been after he failed to perform (5-7). Like I said, if GH looked for and received a better opportunity one year into his extension, different story. But the dude just signed it and now he's exploring better opportunities? I'm sorry, but that "ain't right".

12. trjoosh

trjoosh Points Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Who cares. Good for Harrell. He had to do what he did at the moment and now a tremendous opportunity comes up that he can't pass up. Work for a great NFL team under good coach or be under clay helton and total dysfunction. You all are telling me you would rather stay at a sinking company with a dumb CEO way over their head not knowing anything vs working under a top 15 company with great learning opportunities.

P.S. Joe Brady agreed to a contract extension and bolted for the panthers. I don't blame Harrell at all.

13. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    The deal is the same everywhere for assistants: you're always free to make a move that furthers your career. There is nothing wrong with looking to move up. Yes, he has a three-year deal, but he could be fired before the end of the three years anyway. That contract just sets the amount of the buyouts that each side has to pay. That's it, and everybody knows that's it.

And who cares? The guy isn't a miracle worker. You can find someone else to run the same mediocre, pass-all-the-time offense that he runs. He happened to stumble into a situation where USC was absolutely loaded with talented wideouts, and he was being compared to the absolute clown show that was the Clay and Tee offense.

Besides, nothing matters until Clay is fired. The program is garbage until they get rid of him, and anybody with a lick of common sense knows it.

14. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I have absolutely no issue with Graham Harrell interviewing for another position especially with the NFL. since he signed his extension with USC, I would have a very large buyout the first season and have it descend after year 2 and again in year 3. I think that’s only fair to the university and the team....

15. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Compared to Helton, he is. Brian Kennedy is right, USC's football program is dog shit right now.

16. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    The best thing Graham Harrell did while at USC, was helping put Kedon Slovis on the map. There is no way Slovis would be even close to starting for USC, let alone in the discussion for a Heisman, without Harrell believing in him.

CP619, 3rd Slide and TXTrojan_itul1 like this.
  17. mrsocal

mrsocal Points Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I have no doubt that if Harrell wasn't at SC last season, Slovis would still be 4th on the depth chart behind Sears. Best guy doesn't always play with CCH.

sctrojan2006 and 3rd Slide like this.
  18. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Jan 17, 2020
    At this point, how does Mike Bohn not see/understand that recruits don't want to play for Clay Helton and coaches don't want to coach under him. While he's not in my top 5 of desired replacement coaches, how does Mike Bohn not make a call to Luke Fickell right now to come over from Cincinnati to right the ship and bring some new blood/stability to the program?