Report: Graham Harrell interviewing with the Eagles

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 17, 2020.

1. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Was hoping for Strength & Conditioning...have you seen the dude? #Adonis!

2. Tommy4732

Tommy4732 Active Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Well, if he leaves we have no oc, or dc to buy out of their contract. It creates a legitimate opportunity for USC to can Helton and bring in another head coach who can bring in his own staff. Our recruiting class isn't going to get better anyway, so why not take the opportunity.

KiwiSCfan, SC93er, AZTrojan38 and 5 others like this.
  3. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    And the beat goes on

4. Trojanmack909

Trojanmack909 Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    But you’re directing your anger at GH like he shouldn’t take the opportunity of a lifetime. I’m saying why are you mad at him?

It’s cool to be upset at potentially having another coaching vacancy. But said “fuck him” like he did or is doing something wrong. He’s doing exactly what each and every one of us would do and that’s take advantage of an opportunity to put himself in a better position.

5. twenty twenty

twenty twenty Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Not cool. Your word has to mean something. He just signed a three year extension and he should honor his contract for at least a year.
    It's not a head coaching job.

6. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Hard to argue with your post.

CP619 likes this.
  7. Damien

Damien Points Member

Jan 17, 2020
    ZERO loyalty anymore when it comes to jobs, been that way for about 20 years.
    Sounds like the contract did not exclude lateral moves to the NFL, bad move on the SC AD IMHO.

8. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    There are different ways to argue this. I remember how totally pissed off I was when KK walked out on the Trojans a year ago. I was saying the exact same things that CP619 is saying.

The other way of looking at this is that GH's success is the only thing keeping Clay employed at USC. His offense next year should be good enough to go at least 8-4 in the weak, weak Pac 12 South. He is in essence giving Bohn and Folt the justification they need to keep Helton in place...the fanbase be damned.

As someone who fully believes that USC will never sniff a national championship under Helton, the thought that Graham could walk and take his $3.75M contract off the books, and by doing so drive the final nail in Clay's coffin....has its positive aspects.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    in2nation and Troy70 like this.
  9. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    When someone signs a contract they should at least do 1 year of that contract before looking for another job. f*ck these disloyal Mike Leach disciples.

But I doubt Eagles make him an offer. He did good as a QB coach, but the jury is still out as an OC (give the damn ball to Stepp!!!). Yeah he was an improvement over Helton/Tee, but even I could probably do a better OC job than those clowns.

10. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I can. Let's say the job conditions are miserable. Your boss is an incompetent glad-hander. People are getting fired or quitting left and right, including in other divisions. Your boss's boss is new on the job and the 2 before that screwed everything up and created a toxic environment to work in that still lingers. You find out you have almost zero control over staffing, recruiting, vision, direction. The entire company seems interested only in making money for them. Players can enter a portal, at will, and ask to leave with no problem. Players don't want to come play for your team. Programs that are far worse than you are getting better players. Your entire organization stinks to high Heaven.

And somehow GH is a selfish disloyal asshole?

11. 28thstreet

28thstreet Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I love the irony of the "you need to honor your contract" and we should fire Clay in the middle of his...did we not make a committment as well? The truth is, in the sports world, you strike when the irons hot because its gonna be cold sooner of later. I wouldn't tie my worst enemies ship to CH's fate, and don't blame GH for not doing so either. He was offered a lucrative deal with SC, he signed it and if he gets a better offer, take it. CH is a dead man walking, everyone in the world knows that.

Troy70 likes this.
  12. twenty twenty

Jan 17, 2020
    CH was a dead an walking last month when Harrell signed it. He is more than aware of the current situation. He does need to honor his deal for next season. Helton is another story. We didn't finish strongly. Iowa was a complete disaster. Recruiting not good, about those silents. No DC, played by Barry. Now Harrell. Helton can most certainly be removed.
    Get married today, see another tomorrow, the another the next day. Make a decision a stick with it. What a group. "Fight on to victory"

Esthersar likes this.
  13. reTiredEngr

reTiredEngr Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Why are we so worked up about GH interviewing for the Eagles OC position? A coaching job is just like any job and the days when a person stayed with one company for life are long gone. USC can fire GH anytime if it chose to - would the school be bothered about "loyalty" then? GH should do what is right for himself and for his family. Sure he has responsibility for the players but they will be gone in four years max; his family will be with him much longer.

14. 1stNGoalSC

1stNGoalSC Points Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I'm sorry, then don't sign the extension. Those conditions existed at the time of his signing.

AZUSCfan likes this.
  15. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    exactly

AZUSCfan likes this.
  16. 1stNGoalSC

1stNGoalSC Points Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Yes, USC could fire GH anytime if it chose to -- but absent extenuating circumstances (i.e. scandal), this NEVER happens immediately after a contract is signed. If he leaves after a year, different story. Otherwise, dirtbag.

17. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Right. Don't sign the extension and make things better for you and your family. Perhaps at the time this job with the eagles wasn't an option and he thought the only thing in front of him was to be employed or not.

Dude was here for a very short time. It's pretty clear that his vision doesn't align with everyone else's. I see no reason why he should have some undying loyalty. I think most people would take a miserable paying job over unemployment.

18. twenty twenty

Jan 17, 2020
    You build a program with loyalty.
    Character counts and it's what you're teaching those around you, students and staff.

19. 1stNGoalSC

1stNGoalSC Points Member

Jan 17, 2020
    If he's unhappy, then don't sign a long term extension. Sign a 1 year deal and keep looking. You make a commitment, stick to it. It's not as if he wasn't already looking before he signed his deal. He had options and chose to stay here. But to keep throwing his name in the hat after signing...well, that's bullxxxx.