Recruiting: USC lands commitment from Texas transfer Malcolm Epps

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, May 3, 2021.

2. OxyTrojan

OxyTrojan Junior Member

May 3, 2021
    Poor guy, tight end transfer doesn't know Clay doesn't use tight ends.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

May 3, 2021
    You mean poor guy to all the Tight Ends who thought they might get to play this year. He is a WR in a TE's uniform. London has been moved outside to WR and he will take London's place as TE. His experience as WR and his height/size will fit right in with what Harrell calls a TE. He will not be used as a traditional TE. Count on it.

4. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

May 3, 2021
    He doesn't need to. He can catch and that's all Harrell cares about in his TE. He found his replacement for London.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  5. Ridge Rider

Ridge Rider Points Member

May 3, 2021
    Let's see, London, McCoy, and Epps in the pattern. Perhaps it will be reminiscent of Stanford's potent big receiver package from a few years ago.
    Interesting, Spring ball looked pretty darn good, new coaches are performing, really good Freshman coming in the fall, and the portal has been very good to USC. Yet, no matter what, the most simple straightforward threads still have someone pissing on Helton.

There is therapy for that.

6. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

May 3, 2021
    If you are referring to me all I'm doing is simply saying this is not OL help. We have had a lot of discussion of using more running plays this year and experimenting with the OL. The article reads he was used mostly as a WR at Texas and he is a tweener. Harrell hasn't used a traditional TE. since he's gotten here and he used London as a WR playing TE a lot last year and I sincerely believe he will be using Epps the same way. I believe Harrell will continue this philosophy.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  7. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

May 3, 2021
    There's also therapy for people who resort to hiding behind computer screens to make comments like this. Your opinion was expressed. You can either engage in back and forth opinions or just drop out of the conversation. I bet you don't make comments like this to strangers in person. You would be afraid of what they might do to you. Only cowards talk behind peoples back or in this case from behind computer screens.

KeenObserver likes this.
  8. Buck Dancer

Buck Dancer Points Member

May 3, 2021
    I can hear the crowd chanting now, Malcom Epps! Malcom Epps!

9. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

May 3, 2021
    This is more likely a chicken and egg situation with the TE usage. In reality, our TEs have consistently had hands of stone when they do get open. If I'm Slovis, after a few key drops by each of those TEs (especially Falo), I'm not looking for them anymore. Maybe bringing in Epps is a potential solution to that. I love the idea of having London catching everything on the outside, McCoy demanding the ball when London is triple-teamed, Bryant and Dixon in the slot, and moving Epps out with no more than man to man with either a LB or DL. No way that is covered. Kind of like having Pittman and London, plus Juju and ARSB all in the lineup at the same time.

10. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

May 3, 2021
    Yes, winning in a dominant fashion would work wonders.

11. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    May 3, 2021
    He was part of the 2018 class and is a redshirt sophomore. I believe he'll have three seasons to play if he wants to take advantage of the extra year of eligibility.

I don't believe he's really been asked to block. He was shifted to an outside receiver when he got to Texas and only moved back to tight end last year, when he was not the starter. Not saying he can't block at all, but he's definitely more of a pass catcher.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  12. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    May 3, 2021
    Because this isn't his first year coaching the program. He's had ample time to develop his philosophy and culture. He hasn't.

13. USCSAE

USCSAE Points Member

May 3, 2021
    [email protected]&k Helton!

That said, what is this therapy you speak of, because I need it. I thought the only options were him eventually getting fired, or God forbid me finally giving up on the program. Please help!

AMLTrojan, gubo&palanka and Hockey10 like this.
  14. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

May 3, 2021
    Hard to get excited about another TE in an offense that doesn’t use TEs. But he does look good.

AMLTrojan and gubo&palanka like this.
  15. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

May 3, 2021
    Subtraction by addition lose Munir to the portal and pick up another WR. Why can’t we have that luck with the OLine position?
    Fight On!

AMLTrojan and gubo&palanka like this.
  16. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

May 3, 2021
    The point I was trying to make. He's not a traditional TE. He's a WR. He's not going to block. He's not here to improve our running attack and he's not here to protect our QB. He's here to take over London's inside receiver duties. He may make our passing game very dangerous with an additional very tall Receiver but he's not here to make our OL more physical and dominate.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    zitorocks and gubo&palanka like this.
  17. Ridge Rider

Ridge Rider Points Member

May 3, 2021
    Here's how it works;
    You start by recognizing that Clay is a human being, and secondly realize what he DOES is coach football.

Then you respect the man, and criticize his performance as you see it. Problem is, he had a good spring and so for the moment we should be able to discuss a player without the vulgarities aimed at the coach based upon previous observations that have been beat to death and are now incredibly boring.

I have suggested in the past that an "I Hate Helton" thread might be a good idea, thereby allowing the rest of us to discuss players, etc. without having the threads hijacked.

And Hockey10, I am not one who has ever hidden by my computer. Back in the day, I was quite regular at the Meet and Greets, practices, tailgates, and threw an annual BBQ where many of the old guard including Garry attended.

I will say that you instantly went personal on me, so I guess that is in your DNA.

18. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

May 3, 2021
    Your choices are still binary, probably shaded toward giving up on the program. Before he can get fired, you have to find someone to do it.