Recruiting Update . . . the announcement dates continue

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by HelixTrojan, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Recruiting Update . . . the announcement dates continue
    HelixTrojan

HelixTrojan Junior Member

Jul 26, 2018
    The dominoes are beginning to fall into place as we approach Fall.

Still a long way to go, but train is picking up steam:

* LB Tristan Sinclair (San Ramon Valley HS) will announce his commitment on August 1st, with SC, Notre Dame, and Stanford leading they way.

* OL Jonah Tuannu'u (Narbonne HS) will announce his Top 5 (updated) on August 10th . . . his birthday, of course.

* OL Logan Sagapolu (Utah) and Enokk Vimahi (Hawaii) have announced they will commit on January 19th at the Polynesian Bowl. Vimahi has SC in his top 8, while Sagapolu does not yet have an offer.

* OL Sean Rhyan (San Juan Hills HS) has been the quiet man all year, but finally spoke this week on his feeling for SC after visiting with his mom just before the Quiet Period:

“USC is recruiting me the hardest right now,” Rhyan said. “I talk with them more than any other school and I’m developing a good relationship with the OL coach, (Neil) coach Callaway. I visited there recently and had a good time and learned a lot about the school."

* St. John Bosco HS just opened its new $7.2 million football stadium this week:

https://www.presstelegram.com/2018/07/24/braves-new-world-bellflowers-st-john-bosco-high-backs-in-the-glow-of-new-7-2-million-stadium/

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018

2. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Helix, what’s the thinking that
    Sagapolu doesn’t have an offer, think he’s a pretty good guard prospect

3. USC92

USC92 Points Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Good to hear about Rhyan. Is Jonah still an SC lean or has Oklahoma caught up?

4. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Jul 26, 2018
    OL are must gets.

BlueBlood likes this.
  5. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Jul 26, 2018
    Things are looking very good for Jonah right now

6. HelixTrojan

HelixTrojan Junior Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Sagapolu is not only a really good Guard prospect, he is a really good Center prospect, as well.

He burst onto the scene at The Opening regional back in March with reps at Guard and Center against many of the best NTs/DTs in the region, and has only solidified himself at every camp since.

But the major camps are essentially over now. So I gotta think there are other factors NOT based upon on-field performance, that have determined Sagapolu's current offer list . . . and it should be noted that SC is not the only major school that has not offered a scholie.

A prospect is usually evaluated among these primary factors - measurables, athleticism, scheme-fit, mutual interest, academic progress, and coachability/character. And I always hate to speculate on the off-field factors, because you rarely get the full picture until after the fact.

But I had always wondered if Sagapolu was LDS-Mormon, and therefore the Trojans would pass on him due to the prospect of him going on a mission.

I did not have confirmation of that until I saw this report in the Salt Lake Tribune - July 23, 2018:

The biggest prize to date is four-star quarterback Jacob Conover of Chandler, Ariz. Conover, who plans to go on an LDS Church mission before enrolling at BYU, committed on Mother’s Day and has become a recruiter himself since then. He has reportedly contacted several other high-profile prospects that BYU is recruiting, including three-star offensive linemen Logan Sagapolu of Lehi’s Skyridge High and Sataoa Laumea of Eisenhower Senior High in Rialto, Calif. Both prospects are LDS.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougars/2018/07/23/byu-football-coaches-are/

So that could be the reason, among other things.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018