Recruiting News and Notes . . .

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by HelixTrojan, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Recruiting News and Notes . . .
    HelixTrojan

HelixTrojan Junior Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Just some recent news from around Pac 12 in recruiting:

* TE recruit Ethan Rae (Orange Lutheran HS) will announce his verbal commitment tonight at 7pm

* Elite DL recruit Kayvon Thibodeaux (Oaks Christian HS) has announced he expects to announce his verbal commitment between week of October 26 - 31st.

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/07/11/oaks-christians-kayvon-thibodeaux-set-to-make-college-decision-in-october/

* Carlsbad Safety/LB Asa Turner (Carlsbad HS) verballed to Washington this week.

* San Diego CB/Safety Don Chapman (Lincoln HS) verballed to Colorado this week after an official visit. Chapman had an SC offer.

* Greg Biggins is reporting that elite CB and current Oregon commit Mychael Wright (Valencia HS) is transferring to city power Narbonne HS . . . at least it's not Mater Dei or St. John Bosco, right?

LDIABootney likes this.

2. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jul 12, 2018
    In this age of frenetic social media, I can't understand why a recruit would wait as long as Thibodeaux is to decide. It would drive me nuts keeping up with all the noise. He must (a) enjoy the attention, or (b) be authentically undecided about where to sign. Not a knock at all--just a thought. If it's (b), I certainly respect his process and thoughtful deliberation.

3. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I can't imagine having the options! I suppose he has had these options for some time, so you would expect that it would get old, and that you'd like to just wrap it up before Sr year starts. But who knows. Consider the other kids that wait until LOI day. Milking it all the way , just undecided or evaluating things (jr's going pro, coaches staying or not). It's not like they can't change their mind even if verbal.

4. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Jul 13, 2018
    October is early for a recruit to commit, he’s graduating early and enrolling in January.

Maybe he knows where he’s going and waiting to announce later to help his teammates get noticed?

5. HelixTrojan

HelixTrojan Junior Member

Jul 13, 2018
    It just depends upon how a recruit wants to handle things.

They can be active on social media and with the regular media, take their official and unofficial visits in the Spring and Summer . . . and announce a decision.

OR

. . . they can be like elite OL recruit Sean Rhyan, and keep things quiet, take their visits to schools throughout the Fall/and Winter and commit near the end of the year.

Most recruits will not decide until the Fall and Winter . . . and that's normal.

In addition, there will be a recruiting "reset" in November and December, just before the early signing period.

At that time, there will be a lot of first time commitments AND decommitments as the recruits figure out which school really wants them, and the schools figure out which priority recruits they have a real opportunity to sign.

It happens every year.

6. Jcanderson69

Jcanderson69 Junior Member

Jul 16, 2018
    Many think Wright’s transfer strengthens SC’s chances of flipping him. I’m not so sure that his commitment was rock solid in the first place. I’ve heard he has always really liked SC. We just haven’t recruited him as a priority as Oregon did. One coach said they thought his commitment was to gain SC’s attention......that was the coaches opinion.

7. bestlakersfan

bestlakersfan Junior Member

Jul 16, 2018
    Spot on on all sides. He is a kid that I hope we pick-up recruitment with. Really like his game. For me, him, Rutherford and Max Williams would be a great CB haul. I think Steele ends up in a role similar to CHawk.

big boy paints and USC92 like this.
  8. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Jul 16, 2018
    He reminds me of Olijah Griffin with his aggressiveness, would love to land him.

LDIABootney, USC92 and Pudly76 like this.
  9. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Jul 16, 2018
    Interesting take....we had heard a lot about him not liking USC....

Good news if the "take" is true

10. bestlakersfan

Jul 16, 2018
    He loves USC. I know on first hand knowledge.

The kid is a stud.

11. mrbug708

mrbug708 Junior Member

Jul 16, 2018
    He was wearing SC gear to school every day near the of the school year

mvpreed2 likes this.
  12. Jcanderson69

Jul 16, 2018
    I know Max Williams likes SC and SC is still in contact, but a lot like Bookie last year, SC has concerns of his size. SC likes the bigger CB’s. This is one of those instances where i hope they look at production over projection cause i think Williams is a stud.

13. bestlakersfan

Jul 16, 2018
    I agree with you for sure. I know Bookie's dad and he loved USC. He will be at least a 2-year starter for OU. The kid is a baller.

I love Max as well.

14. Jcanderson69

Jul 16, 2018
    I never bought the whole out of state things was his main choice. I think it ended up that way once SC didn’t show the interest.

I think Bookie starts this year from what my buddy who used to work in the OU football office says.

Pudly76 likes this.
  15. USC92

USC92 Points Member

Jul 16, 2018
    I thought he was starting by the end of spring practice at OU

16. USC92

USC92 Points Member

Jul 16, 2018
    Is this similar to the OG recruitment last year in that he loves SC but SC isn’t making him feel wanted enough?

17. bestlakersfan

Jul 16, 2018
    No, I just think he doesn't for the profile of what Clancy wants at CB. It's unfortunate because Adoree wasn't either, and he won the Thorpe and has been the best CB at USC in the last decade. Of course AJ was and is a freak of an athlete so that helped, but just shows you it's not really all about size.

Jcanderson69 likes this.
  18. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Jul 16, 2018
    I seem to remember we had very similar rumblings about our recruitment of OG as well when he committed to UCLA initially - he wasn’t the profile Clancy was looking for, we’re not giving him enough attention, he felt slighted - and then he decommits and everything magically works out...

I don’t think he’s similar to Adoree at all - more physical, not a burner, different elusiveness - but is more of a ball hawk, which we could use in the secondary... in any case I hope we make the same late run on him as we did with OG & ITS.

19. bestlakersfan

Jul 16, 2018
    They are a lot more similar than different.