Recruiting: Five-star defensive lineman Mykel Williams commits to USC

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jun 15, 2021.

2. ATR32

ATR32 Junior Member

Jun 15, 2021
    Holy crap! Opened the site was nearly knocked on my arse.

Huge coup for the staff.

Please stick, Mykel!!

3. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

Jun 15, 2021
    He's now booked his reservation, so let's wait and see if he stays at the Inn.

4. Kaptain Karl

Kaptain Karl Points Member

Jun 15, 2021
    I didn’t see that coming!!! Hell yeah!!!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. AtownSC

AtownSC Points Member

Jun 15, 2021
    Coach 'em up Vic!! I see 3 consecutive years of 1st rd DEs- Drake, Korey, Mykel

SC Jimbo, OC2SC, KiwiSCfan and 5 others like this.
  6. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Jun 15, 2021
    From my PERSPECTIVE, commitments mean very little to me anymore...does a PART of me still get excited...YES! But, the PORTAL has clouded everything moving forward...a player's COMMITMENT will mean something once he earns his DEGREE, runs out of the tunnel one last time before being DRAFTED or signed by the NFL (or the career of his choice)...until then, while I love the sound of KABOOMS! I also understand they can be GONE as suddenly as they came!

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

7. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jun 15, 2021
    Agree with a lot of this.

What this shows to me is that this staff can build a ton of recruiting momentum through phone calls and facetimes. And then it can follow through with a terrific official visit. To not just take the lead in a recruitment but seal the deal so well that the kids makes a decision to commit on the visit and then follow through with going public on it means something. The idea that this thing is actually over and the equipment guys can start taking measurements is premature, but I'd rather be in USC's shoes than anybody else's right now in terms of Williams.

It also gives USC the bump of being all over every recruiting site today and Williams is going to be at major events wearing USC gear and talking about USC. Whether or not he signs with USC, those things will have happened. I'm always reminded of that year where Cal got commitments from Ellis McCarthy, Shaq Thompson and Jordan Payton at the Army game. None of the three actually signed with Cal, but the next recruiting class, guys were still talking about that game and how Cal did so well in getting commitments from those guys. A splash like this has legs, whatever the end result.

8. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jun 15, 2021
    Certainly understand RB4SC's reticence from the good old days, but good perspective, Erik. If anything it puts USC in the national headlines.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 15, 2021
    Agreed. It's a very long wait until they can sign. Lots of pressure once kids like this get back home. Unless he shuts down any and all unofficial visits, it's not over. I also hesitate to get excited because for all the kids we've gotten from the southeast region, plenty never make it here or past 1 year. It's different to be out here for a year or more rather than just a weekend. The pressure will be there if it feels like a burden for his family to have to travel to see him play.

I did laugh a bit reading another article where he sited the fanbase as one of the reasons for picking USC. I don't know what they told this kid but the fanbases aren't anywhere near the same level. Alabama or Georgia can get in his ear with that truth although it may not matter.

I'm also amused that the fans here don't question whether USC has a bag man. Any time a west coast kid heads to the SEC, it's obviously cheating. But a 5* commits to USC over 2 SEC powers and people assume it's a clean deal? Hmmm.

Trojack and gubo&palanka like this.
  10. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Jun 15, 2021
    Fine, I'll admit it: it was me. It cost $27, my signed Mike Williams jersey, and every back issue of Musings -- printed and bound, with a laminated cover -- but it's worth every penny.

11. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Jun 15, 2021
    I'm currently at my son's training session and his Coach/Trainer is a former NFL DB and was coached by Donte Williams. He said he knew about this committment yesterday from his insiders and from the family's of some of the other athletes he trains. He told me he's bringing in his athletes to SC next week for their officials and what has stood out for these athletes so far has been Clay Helton and Donte really selling the L.A./Hollywood lifestyle both as undergrads and graduates and it has really been resonating with players and their families. I was told players and their families really like Clay Helton personally as a man and that Donte Williams is on a different level of awesome than anyone else at what he does. Sounds like everyone Donte recruits personally, we have a serious chance landing.

12. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 15, 2021
    The LA Hollywood lifestyle.....what a joke. I guess it's like Vegas for people who haven't ever been. The cynical me just isn't impressed. And graduates? Does a 5* really anticipate going past 3 years these days?

Sure, Helton is a "fine man". How many players of his go to the combine? End up in the first round? Show up to the NFL "ready"? The numbers are not in his favor. Other coaches will use that argument. I know I would. And then of course at some point, another program will come in with money for Donte, and USC won't match it.

13. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jun 15, 2021
    Did I miss the pictures of Helton in board shorts eating avocado toast and kale salad with a kombucha?

OC2SC, TheTrojanKnight, RPBSC and 2 others like this.
  14. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jun 15, 2021
    AD better be ready to pony up for Donte. Others will be coming for him. A kaboom in the pre transfer days but at least a 5* got SC in news