Record with a healthy JT Daniels

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by xuscx, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Record with a healthy JT Daniels
    xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    Interesting to consider. Clearly we have had some red zone interceptions that set us back. Offense seems in damage control mode with Fink

gubo&palanka likes this.

2. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    The same, most likely. Other than Slovis's performance against Stanford -- which was better than anything we've seen from JT Daniels as a starter -- what we saw from Slovis and Fink is essentially what we saw from Daniels all last year.

3. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    probably the same. I could see him helping beat BYU, but I believe we don’t beat the Utes with him in there. It was Fink’s ability to escape pressure (and Pittman’s heroics) that won the game.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  4. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    "You are what your record says you are." - Bill Parcells

“I'll be honest with you, I've never had four quarterbacks that could start on a lot of football teams across the country." - Clay Helton

Reigning two-time Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year Braxton Miller was set to be Ohio State's starting quarterback for the year, but he sustained a season-ending shoulder injury in practice just a few weeks before the start of the season. Redshirt freshman J. T. Barrett started at quarterback for the majority of the season, until he, too, suffered a season-ending injury via a broken ankle during the regular season finale against Michigan. Redshirt sophomore Cardale Jones, who was the third-string quarterback at the start of the summer, led the Buckeyes to wins in the Big Ten Championship Game, Sugar Bowl, and CFP National Championship in his first three career starts at quarterback.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    SCBIGTIME, TrojanHorse, RPBSC and 3 others like this.
  5. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    Did any of that have to do with development? Not just QB's but at all positions. OL to protect the QB, RB to take pressure off of the QB, WR's to bailout the QB, and an OC who called plays to the ability of his QB? Not to mention a defense to defend a lead. Anotherwards coaching.

6. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Oct 9, 2019
    didn’t JT throw one against Fresno State?

7. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    To be honest Daniels was running what looked to be the Air Raid we were promised all summer against FSU. High tempo and lots of passing. We came out scoring. Who knows what would have happened if he continued playing. Perhaps the Offense would have gotten better each week and we would have been scoring 50 points a week as promised or teams would have figured us out quickly and ended it. JT did and does use his check down options which may have resulted in less interceptions but the long ball is where Slovis and Fink has scored most of their points. Could Daniels be as successful at the long ball? Who knows. All the short passes may have opened it up for him or he could have thrown interceptions and stalled the Offense.

oajr01 likes this.
  8. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    Though I saw issues with JT last year, I think he has come a long way in both leadership and decision making. He showed some of that in the Fresno State game before he was injured. I would speculate that we would have had a better offense with a more experienced QB; JT showed that he could run this type of offense against ND last year. I think BYU would have been a win and UW may have been closer or a possible win. The question would be seeing consistency from JT, but remember he was #1 because he was the most consisent QB through practices.

9. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    In 2018 they were 5-7 take away the one Jack Sears start where they lost. JT as a starter was 5-6. He won his first game in 2019 but threw 1 Td and 1 pick (on pace from last season).

So the team is 6-6 in games JT Daniels starts. When I hear the "If we had JT Daniels talk. I laugh". There is zero evidence to suggest anything different would happen. Last years team was 3-2 at this point this years team is 3-2 at this point. The offense statistically is only slightly better. Most of Jt's picks came against better teams. (Google it).

In the 12 JT Daniels starts these are the facts:

JT Daniels has 15 Td's 11 Int. (This will never get it done Not today, Not Tomorrow, Not ever)

Slovis has 5 Td's 4 Int's

Matt Fink 4 Td's 4 Int's

Nothing is going to happen unless these guys all 3 of them. I don't care what their name is. Stops throwing interceptions !!! Period!!!

FYI: You ask why some people were asking for Jack Sears? Because he's the only QB who has started for USC in 1 1/2 season who has never thrown an Interception in a game. He may not be your choice but he doesn't shoot himself in the foot.

I don't blame the QB's. I blame the coaching.

1. You don't let a young QB throw over the middle in the red zone and risk taking points off the board.
    2. You make it clear in the red zone never force it. If its not there throw it away and take the 3 pts. ( If he can't understand that, he could learn it on the bench)
    3. You have to get more creative on offense to keep the DB's from dropping 8. More passes to the RB, Reverse plays, Screens, pulling runs. Play action pass. Power running.
    4. You have to make the defense adjust to you. You're attacking. The take what the defense gives you is weak. It's a defeated attitude. You're incharge act like it. I would feed them my number Five special. 5 wide. McClain, ARS, Pittman, Vaughns, London 10 times in a row and say chew on this. Then I would 2 back set them with Stepp and Via. Then give them a double TE smack down. Then come back and hit them with passes to Carr Marshall Faulk style. You see how Ive tried to use all these guys strengths. Not trying to fit them into a scheme. Use every tool in the tool box. Anything. Just attack don't retreat.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  10. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    No better

11. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    He has played in 1 game and thrown 28 passes..... don't get ahead of yourself.

12. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    3-2

JT Daniels has had 11.5 games to put together a game... any game where he has looked as good as Slovis did vs Stanford. And I am not just talking numerically. I am talking about firing up a team and playing with confidence and swagger and the entire team following suit.

I just don't think JT has that "it" factor.

August West and gubo&palanka like this.
  13. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Oct 9, 2019
    What I don't get is the mediocre O line. Everyone says Austin Jackson is a future pro. Drew Richmond is a 5th year senior and has starting experience. The center is an upgrade over last year -- at least snapping the ball. We have guards big enough to be maulers.

The coach is experienced, reputable and has had enough time with them to coach them up.

Why isn't this one of the better units in the lousy Pac-12?

I know this is slightly off topic, but it does have some bearing on the QB play. And contributed to almost decimating the QB group.

racea911, Troy70, Rodgarnay51 and 2 others like this.
  14. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    Not off topic at all. JT would still be the starter with a better O-Line...and even if he did get hurt, Slovis would still be the starter.
    With a better O-Line, we don't even have any data points on Seers from 2018.
    With a better O-Line we are 5-0 this year and the QB would be looking great.

gubo&palanka, Troy70 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  15. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    I think C&G is a relative or close friend of Sears. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  16. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    The OL and the Gumbo play calling were major factors in last year's Offense in addition to no running game. Anyone who wants to ignore this can't be taking serious. If Slovis had snaps flying all over the place with the predictable Gumbo Offense that left a few seconds on the clock before it was sent in leading to teams blitzing and rushing in at zero on the clock. An OL that took more penalties yards then the Offense made. WR'S running short of 1st down markers. I can guarantee you he would have struggled too. I'm not saying JT is great or will be but last year he was set up for failure and it was no wonder his confidence declined and he got desperate by throwing the ball up to his WR's. This year Pittman is going up and getting the ball in dbl coverage. Maybe if he was pulling down those same passes last year people wouldn't be as down on Daniels.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  17. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    USC's wide receivers did a fantastic job of saving Daniels ass last year. He threw 14 TD's and had 1o Int's. The reason he only had 10 interceptions is that his wide receivers miraculously snagged balls that should have been INT's and knocked away bad passes from being picked at an All-American defensive back type rate to save him. Am I just talking out of my backside or do you want to read PFF's August 2019 rankings for all projected starting QB's and their assessment of Daniels play last year that resulted in him being projected as the #67 starting QB in college football?

"Daniels was a lucky guy a year ago, uncorking 22 turnover-worthy passes compared to just 10 interceptions as he made more mistakes than big-play moments. He is the 120th-ranked returning quarterback by overall grade."

gubo&palanka likes this.
  18. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Oct 10, 2019
    Agree

19. CCTrojans

CCTrojans Junior Member

Oct 10, 2019
    That's silly. Even if you're someone who is not impressed by JT, USC lost to BYU because of Slovis' interceptions. It was his first game on the road. With JT we would have at least won that one game.

HEAVYHITTER and Wolfpack4SC like this.
  20. August West

August West Points Member

Oct 10, 2019
    You have absolutely no way of knowing that. None!

JT is less mobile than Slovis, how many more sacks do we give up with JT. NTM JTs habit of throwing pics, all could of yielded the same result.

That loss was on the staff for not adjusting what BYU was doing defensively.