Reasons for optimism

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by john saur, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Reasons for optimism
    john saur

john saur Member

Nov 26, 2019
    I feel sorrow for the misery addicted jokers who find it impossible to enjoy a sound thumping of the Bruins, because it may increase the chances that Helton retains his job.

I wonder how many of that group have heard Mike Pittman III's assessment of Helton that has aired several times on ESPNU radio. Pittman says, with very evident and very emotional sincerity, that Helton should be the Trojans head coach as long as he wants to be. He goes on to call Helton the strongest man he has ever known, who is able to block out all the negative bs, and focus enormous positive energy on his team. He calls Helton a great father figure, and says Helton is the model for his own future.

We return most of both lines next season, and our two young five star linebackers should be healthy. The very young secondary will inevitably improve, especially if Clancy has moved on and a brilliant young defensive coordinator is in place.

We lose Pittman, but the rest of our outstanding receivers return, and the addition of McCoy/Ford will keep the quality at least equal to this year's group.

Malapai is gone, but Stepp, Carr, and Christon form a formidable crew of rbs. Out two young TEs will enhance that position.

Our recruiting is undeniably down, but if we go 10-2 or 11-1 next season the 2021 class will no doubt return to our usual lofty standards, so we can tolerate one mediocre class.

I believe that my vision of the team and its future is at least as plausible as that of the doom seekers, and it has the very real advantage of making me happy. As opposed to the vision of those pathetic Helton haters, who continue to ooze despair from every pore.

2. trojan raul

trojan raul Junior Member

Nov 26, 2019
    Sounds optimistic but you know that 11-1 with Helton will NEVER be possible. He has proved he is incapable of such a thing. Look at his trajectory as a coach, objectively.

The man should not be coaching at SC. Period.

3. einibobo

einibobo Junior Member

Nov 26, 2019
    I am not a fan if helton but I think we can have a 11-1 season because our offense can score! I know D wins games but if we can be as proficient as we were against ucla, we should beat all our PAC 12 opponents. Winning the Natty? Now that is a different story.

4. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Nov 26, 2019
    Has VM opted for entering the draft?
    He's a RS Jr.

5. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Nov 26, 2019
    Poor game time decisions
    Incomplete game preparation
    Discipline on the field never installed after an off season of stating it was his priority
    Poor Clock/Time out management

we can go on and on...
    Clay has lost his lease on the USC HC position

6. Ladera Trojan

Ladera Trojan Junior Member

Nov 26, 2019
    Soft practices do not produce 11-1 seasons. Yes, we can beat most teams with superior talent. But when we play the big boys(ie. Bama, Ohio St. etc) we get curb stomped.

Clay did a great job of being an adult and leading the program after the two clowns finished their runs. But we are past that now. We are looking for an elite coach. And elite coaches do not run soft practices.

Thank you for your service Clay, but we are moving in another direction now. Let the Urban Meyer era begin.

7. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Nov 26, 2019
    i don’t see that one either. The biggest concern with bringing in a new coach is losing players who stand solidly in support of Helton. This is where Bohn needs to focus his next move - finding a way of bringing back the strong numbers of core players while making changes In coaching where they are needed. It will also be important to bring Helton along in some capacity which I believe is much of what Bohn’s public support of Helton is all about.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  8. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Nov 26, 2019
    It’s great that Helton’s a nice guy and a father figure, but can he coach? Evidentially not, based on 4 years of resume. Barely beating teams we should wipe out, getting wiped out by teams we should be neck-and-neck with. If we wanted a nice guy I think even Charlie Strong is a better hire. And he’s far from a good hire. We need a great coach, not a good one, and Clay falls far below good.

TrojanFireHorse12 and ScMafia like this.
  9. jerald grossman

jerald grossman Points Member

Nov 26, 2019
    Helton must go now. Doesn't matter what the kids say. If you really think that USC football will go 10-2 or 11-1 your crazy. Helton can or won't change anything to get better. Helton does not know anyone in the coaching world that would come to USC while he is the hot seat every year.

10. Tusc2000

Tusc2000 Junior Member

Nov 26, 2019
    I'm feeling something too, but it isn't sorrow. Please note Mike Pittman III has yet to be born, so his appearance on ESPNU radio (????) is a bit premature. Thanks for dropping by.

11. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Nov 26, 2019
    [​IMG]

He should have pitched this to his brother. His assessment of Clueless Clay didn't convince him did it? Mycah Pittman picked Mario Cristobal and a different path. If you can't keep two brothers in the same program you have issues.

His dad tweeted this after Clay tried to pull his favoritism BS.

Published Oct 24,2017 @ USCFOOTBALL.com

"Michael Pittman Sr., the father of sophomore WR Michael Pittman Jr., sent out a series of tweets Monday and Tuesday criticizing the Trojans staff for the lack of playing time for his son"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When Clay Tried to use injury as a reason for not playing him.

[​IMG]

When the excuse he didn't know the playbook was used by the Staff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is why dozens of players have left the program. Crap like this. I'm also hearing there will be more transfers if Clay Helton is retained. Players are fed up with his BS. Don't believe the Fake News. Not every player or parent has a strong bond with Clay Helton or believe in him. Stay tuned.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  12. TrojanDrive

TrojanDrive Junior Member

Nov 26, 2019
    we weren’t close to proficient against the good teams for the most part. We were 1-3 against the good teams plus lost to BYU.

I always enjoy victories over UCLA but beating a bad UCLA team isn’t some type of cornerstone to build towards success.

Helton is not consistently good enough to coach USC. End of story.

TheRealAirbns likes this.
  13. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Nov 26, 2019
    keeping most of our line, USCWay?

Richmond gone.
    Jackson and Vera Tucker looking at draft.

14. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Nov 26, 2019
    Losing those 3 guys will be the excuse next season. I hope Bohn doesn't fall for this narritive.

15. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Nov 26, 2019
    I don't see him leaving early. But if he does, we've got Stepp

16. Tusc2000

Tusc2000 Junior Member

Nov 26, 2019
    He's not leaving. OP stirring the pot.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.