Rats...

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by TroyBill, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Rats...
    TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    I do not know if you have ever had rats on your property. We had in our garden and in our basement. You know they have been there by their droppings. I put some accent lighting up in our garden. We were sitting in our garden one night and there had to by a half dozen of them climbing around on trees. I freaked. I am a pussy when it comes to rats. Snakes and spiders do not bother me. I, on the other hand, have a morbid fear of rats from some bad experiences with them in Vietnam. Needless to say, Mrs. Troybill takes care of the rats. LOL..She called our reliable exterminator and the rats were history.

So my daughter has had rats in her house for several weeks and attempt after attempt was made to get rid of them. They got in the house. The exterminator had to be called several times. The one rat went to the second floor of their house and was burrowing underneath the door of the master bedroom. They would see the rat in the house but it always seemed to get away. It freaked out my grand kids. They got the mother rat. They caught her in a trap and she chewed off her leg and got away. Finally, they caught and killed the rats. She actually had 4 babies. I would have moved out until I knew the rats were gone. They can surely do a lot of damage and are very elusive.

2. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jun 30, 2020
    Reminding us that rat torture is a common form of punishment in 1984.

Here's more on that --

Winston learns the meaning of Room 101 when O'Brien tortures him with rats. Room 101 represents a person's worst fear and Winston's worst fear is rats. So on one level rats represent fear. On another level, however, rats represent depravity. Throughout history, humans have associated rats with squalor and pestilence. Rats carry disease and thrive on human garbage. Rats rank among the world's most "beastlike" (as opposed to "humanlike") creatures. Winston's universe is filled with humans who act like and are treated like beasts. Outer Party members and Proles all eventually become drones-meaningless, inhuman cogs in the Party's machine. In essence, Winston and his fellow citizens become rats, trapped in Big Brother's cage. If people allow forces such as those represented by Big Brother to rule, then they will become no better than mindless, multiplying rats.
    I hate rats too.

3. reTiredEngr

reTiredEngr Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    I thought this thread was about politicians!

As a kid, I lived for several years in an area where the rats were HUGE and there were no exterminators to call. Every so often, the kids were assigned to guard doors and windows while the adults hunted down the rats in the building. It got really frantic at times with everyone running all over the place. Of course, you never get them all since they can squeeze into the smallest holes so the cycle was repeated again and again.

4. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Had rats at another house. Finally got rid of all of them with this Victor trap...killed probably 30 total over 3-4 days. Once Mom and Dad were gone, it was over. Nastiest shit I have ever had to deal with.

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Electronic-Rat-Trap-Reusable/dp/B000LNX06C

We moved in to a new construction home 8 months ago. We are dealing with gophers in the front yard. Last weekend, my kids were running on the grass in the sprinklers when a 3 foot rattlesnake rolled up on them. Fun.

Still better than rats.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  5. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jun 30, 2020
    Not honey badger, but rattlesnake don't care either...

CP619 and SCBIGTIME like this.
  6. uscernie

uscernie Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    That is correct, glue and snap traps work very well. "IF" you decide to utilize snap traps however, be certain you tie them down with wire to something solid. I have lost a few traps where the animal was able to either staggered off, or was pounced upon by a coyote, who carried both rat and trap away!! The Havaheart live trap (pictured) works very well. Once they are inside no other animal can get to them, and they stuck until to return to the trap.

Many are called. Few are Trojan!!!

Attached Files:

7. dblwall

dblwall Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    One our last hikes before it got too hot ran across this one. Luckily he was going the other way.

[​IMG]

901 Club likes this.
  8. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    There are companies out there that will find and close up all the various access points for rats to get into your house. That’s the first step. Snap and glue traps work maybe once...rats are smart. Mice are dumb.
    If there are any trees next to your house those are rat ladders. They’ll get into your house thru the roof. Then every month or so have babies.
    Everybody in SoCal has rats inside or outside Or both.

9. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Yikes! Almost stepped on a snake on Sunday...thankfully it was just a 6’ long gopher snake. Saw a king snake here on Fri. No rattlers though.

10. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    I had a rat get in my garage and ate through all my beer lines. On Christmas Eve to boot.

I was totally pissed. I was trying to figure why I had a puddle of beer behind the bar. I checked all connections, even pulled the kegs off line. Then I looked at the hoses. Bastard ate right through them. Then I found the hole in the garage wall.

Put in all new lines and reinforced it with electrical conduit. Didn't enjoy pulling everything out of my garage, dismantling the vinyl flooring and douching out the garage on Christmas afternoon.

11. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jun 30, 2020
    You need what was once known as a Library Cat.

"....Monastic records from the Middle Ages indicate cats were kept in medieval monasteries in order to control rats that might otherwise eat valuable manuscripts."
    I would hope that Library Cats were not like ordinary cats, with their litany of problems, but as a special breed of cat would just deal with rodents and not have all the issues of a cat.

Now, adapting a Library Cat into a Beer Cat -- or a Booze Cat, for that matter -- should be easy enough. At least for the people who can supply a Library Cat.

12. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    I would buy a beer cat lol

13. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    The rats in Vietnam were huge too. They were the size of house cats. During monsoons and mortar and rocket attacks these things would head into our bunkers. At night you could hear them and see their little beady eyes. They were tucked way back in the roof support of our bunker at our base camp. We have had to shoot a couple that got a little feisty....LOL

14. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    I have an apex predator cat. He loves to leave dead animals at the side or back door to show off his hunting skills.

TroyBill likes this.