Rams trade Goff

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Feb 1, 2021
    Only problem is, he turns 33 and he has no more experience at winning than Goff his. Whatever Stafford's strengths, they weren't enough to make Detroit (admittedly a bad team) win. I think this trade is beyond headscratching.

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Feb 1, 2021
    At Rams trying to get better, gambling on Matt’s back. Goff was soft as toilet paper

3. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Feb 1, 2021
    In the No Fun League, you are Gold one year and a dumpster fire the next. Goff got them to the Super Bowl in 2019 and they thought he was their future franchise QB. Carson Wentz actually won a Super Bowl for the Eagles. Both were given ridiculous contracts. Both also struggled last year. Yes, the Rams gave away too much, but at least they got rid of Goff’s salary. The funny thing is that Goff has no more guaranteed money, and the Lions can cut him after 2021 and owe him nothing.
    Fight On!
    https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2021/01/30/detroit-lions-jared-goff-contract-matthew-stafford-trade/4329399001/

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  4. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Feb 1, 2021
    That was Nick Foles that won the SB for the Eagles....wentz got hurt during the season, IIRC...he was having a good year, I grant you that....

5. Trojanfan562

Trojanfan562 Points Member

Feb 1, 2021
    The Rams have done really well finding guys in the 2nd and 3rd round of the draft, so I don't think they care much if they lose out on picks in the 20s. The Patriots are pretty well known for doing that.

What's gonna be interesting to me is how McVay utilizes Stafford compared to Goff. In his first 3 years, he had Watkins and Cooks to take the top off defenses to shore up room in the middle for Woods and Kupp. The Rams were one of the lowest ranking teams on downfield throws. Idk if that's because of Goff's inability or not having that downfield threat in the receiving core. Maybe with a live arm like Stafford, we'll see the offense open up more. I thought the drafting of Van Jefferson was curious because he's very similar to Woods and Kupp. Maybe they take a look at a guy like Will Fuller be that guy on the offense. They're also very similar to USC in how ineffective they are at getting TDs in the red zone. That would be an area where they should utilize Higbee or Everett more.

As for Goff, he's still really young and can develop into a reliable starting QB. He has playoff experience and has shown he can get to the super bowl. At the same time in his career, Drew Brees was given up on by the Chargers.