Rams trade Goff

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Rams trade Goff
    Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 30, 2021
    He was 2nd in turnovers last two years. His play negated a good D. Anyone watch Stafford play last season? Recall he had recent back injuries.

2. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Jan 31, 2021
    For a time Goff was the most overrated QB in the NFL. McVay schemed up plays for him to throw to open receivers. The package the Rams offered for Stafford (who isn't a top 5 QB) shows you how little the Rams think of Goff and how much he was holding them back. Jimmy G and Goff are the two luckiest QBs playing in their systems with top 5 playcallers. Both have been exposed.

3. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jan 31, 2021
    2 seasons ago, Goff was on top of the world....

Wow....

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  4. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jan 31, 2021
    He had a top shelf RB in Todd Gurley, and a fantastic defense led by Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh. He also had a healthy(er) receiving corps, but most importantly had an O-line that didn't suffer any major injuries throughout the season during their Super Bowl year.

So basically, he could just be your stereotypical "game manager." Jist don't screw up, and the Rams would win most of the time.

Once he lost Gurley, once the O-line and receiving corps took hits from injury, he was exposed as the very average QB he is. Frankly I'm surprised the Rams were able to dump him, but I guess two 1st rounders were enough to sweeten the pot for the Lions.

Goff will make Lions fans pine for the good old days of Andre Ware and Scott Mitchell, lol.

5. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jan 31, 2021

Yeah, kinda surprised the Rams were able to offload the guy that fast, with his salary. Not my kind of QB...good riddance.

Stafford should be an upgrade, although it needs to be immediate....he’s likely on the downside of his football best.

It will be interesting watching what the Texans’ Watson commands, comparatively.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  6. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Jan 31, 2021
    The rams gave up 2 first round picks. Thats how badly they wanted to get rid of Goff

7. Peete2Affholter

Jan 31, 2021
    Considering what they gave up to be able to draft him #1 overall in the first place, I guess it's fitting.

Stafford may be a mild upgrade at best, but it's clear that the Rams want to win NOW, while Aaron Donald is still in the prime of his career and they have that terrific defense still mostly intact.

If Cam Akers continues to develop, and they can maybe land an upgrade to their receiving corps, they'll be in good shape, albeit they're in the toughest division in football.

Rodgarnay51 and Troy70 like this.
  8. Peete2Affholter

Jan 31, 2021
    We would have to give up half of the Athletic Department's revenue and tuition until 2025 to get any other university to take him as their coach.

9. SC87

SC87 Points Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Goff = nice guy but gutless with no desire to win. He was soft. Stafford = nice guy but a warrior. It's a win now trade for the Rams. They basically mortgaged their future for Stafford and Ramsey. Very similar to what the Lakers did bringing in AD. A hefty price in draft picks. I think the Rams also unload Goff's enormous salary which is a huge deal. A good trade for the Rams if Stafford stays healthy but that is a big IF for a veteran QB with some past injury problems. Goff had to go though. That was clearly not working.

Peete2Affholter likes this.
  10. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 31, 2021
    At least Ram management wants to win now.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  11. Peete2Affholter

Jan 31, 2021
    I like it, I think it shows the Rams are committed to winning, and are gambling that a 33-year old veteran who has been an okay, but not great QB, is going to get them over the hump. Goff has shown what he is, and what he is is not an All-Pro caliber QB. He's a distinct liability if all the pieces of the offense aren't there to support him.

But the Lakers getting AD (after already having LeBron aboard) would be akin to getting both Devante Adams and Aaron Rodgers in a package deal. Landing Stafford is more like getting Serge Ibaka. Nice player, but not fantastic.

Rodgarnay51 and Cardinal&Gold like this.
  12. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Bravo for ditching Goff what a choke artist. Hit him and he falls apart. He's soft.

This is not the answer>>>Stafford is average at best. He's not a Superbowl QB and his best days are behind him.

Rams have 2 WR.
    Kupp
    Robert Woods

2 TE's
    Everett
    Higbee

They need a 3rd and 4th WR to keep defenses honest.

When defenses take away Woods and Kupp they have nothing.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  13. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jan 31, 2021
    A running attack thats starting to show some consistency....the key is the OL...and Stafford is a tough mofo....

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  14. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Rumor is that LA inquired about Deshaun, but the price was too high, then inquired about Rodgers and GB said no. Stanford on the other hand said he would go any place except New England as he did not want to be with Patricia! And that is how Stanford ended up in LA!
    Fight On!

15. SC87

SC87 Points Member

Feb 1, 2021
    Stafford has put up great numbers for the worst NFL franchise this side of the NY Jets. I think Rams fans are going to pleased by him. His lack of success is more a function of the terrible team has been saddled with. In McVay's offense with those skill players at WR and TE, he could carry them to the Super Bowl. Football is a total team game. A lot of intangibles including injuries but likely a good deal for the Rams in the short term. And they rid themselves of Country Club Goff's bloated salary.

16. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Feb 1, 2021
    Certainly not two first round draft picks and a third worth of an upgrade.

I think this is the strangest trade since. . . the Rams traded all those draft picks to get Goff in the first place. I remember watching Goff against the Trojans and I never thought he was going to be a star. I was shocked they moved up 12 spots to get him.

The Rams now don't have a first-round pick until 2024. And what has Stafford ever done? The Rams have apparently mortgaged their future on Stafford. They must really think Goff stinks and always will. It's a little late for that, isn't it? I think it makes them look utterly clueless.

17. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Feb 1, 2021
    Cooks was a big loss.