QB Mo Hasan announces transfer to USC

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Feb 14, 2020.

2. billsb1970

billsb1970 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    This makes sense. We need a QB, RB and offensive lineman from the transfer portal this season.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  3. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Wow. This is perfect. If I didn't know better I'd say the Trojans are on a roll. After the feeble recruiting "haul" just a week ago, the Trojans landed defensive coaches who are at the very least more determined recruiters than Clancy and his staff. And they got one of the best special teams coaches in the country to replace the dreadful Baxter. Hopefully these hires will lessen Helton's impact at all levels of the program.

I thought it was unrealistic for the Trojans to think they could land Shapen or the Boise guy, and I'm glad they didn't come. With Garcia coming next year and two excellent returning QBs this year, the Trojans don't need a QB with starting aspirations, they need somebody like Hasan who if disaster strikes both Slovis and Daniels can come off the bench and at least keep the Trojans in the game.

What this means for Fink I don't know. But depending on what his aspirations are I hope he stays. If he wants to start and stay local, I think Azusa Pacific is an option for him. APU's stadium is on the campus of Citrus College in Glendora, which is Matt's hometown.

4. Rodgarnay51

Feb 14, 2020
    A LT would be ideal, but it has to be someone capable of starting.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020

Hasan isn't going to displace Fink.....Fink's got system and team camaraderie over Hasan.

Hasan hardly played at Vandy, he's in no position to oust anyone....he's emergency stuff. His role in the ranked win over Mizzou was not even as good as Fink's vs. Utah.

Merlin4SC, Troy70, jjg4sc and 2 others like this.
  6. VM805

VM805 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I just want to know how the heck does a full-time college student find the time to study for his classes, workout, study the playbook, and run a nonprofit? I can barely find time to work, clean my house, and spend time with my wife & kids. I don't even watch my favorite television shows anymore.

Merlin4SC, zitorocks, travyav and 5 others like this.
  7. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Has anyone actually gone on youtube to take a look at Hasan? Below is a link to highlights of that game.

In my rough analysis of just these highlights, he's a 2-trick pony for throwing fade routes and designed-runs (dropback and go).
    The only timing-throw I saw was a pick.

The game was a sissy-fight, and his recruiting video looked like he has meh arm strength.

As far as being a mature, accomplished young man, no doubt about that. He's a welcome addition for the intangibles. His tangibles don't look very elite. I'd think Fink could beat him out.

(Vandy is the black team)

Troy70 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  8. Prometheus1354

Prometheus1354 Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Look first off Hasan isn't gonna nor do I think he really has any aspirations of unseating anyone on the depth chart. I could be wrong. Most likely he wanted very much to come too SC for his Grad Schooling. Being willing to walk on is a plus for him & us. He's a needed body with 'some' SEC game experience.

He's a fine young man by all accounts from his bio. One thing for sure, he isn't afraid of hard work.

Didn't mean too be late for the party, the pups urge too purge exceeded my need to tap the keyboard... lol

9. Rodgarnay51

Feb 14, 2020
    Man I hear ya. I've gone into music nearly full-time. As a bandleader and all that entails, I can't even find the time to practice. The guy must have a lot more mental capacity than I do.

VM805 and gubo&palanka like this.
  10. Rodgarnay51

Feb 14, 2020
    If I implied that Hasan could beat out Fink, that was NEVER my intention. Fink IMO is closer to Slovis and JT in ability than he is Hasan. I'm just curious about Fink staying if he is clearly third-string. Hasan really has nothing to do with it; I'm just glad SC found a half-way decent emergency QB. Fink is better than that, but I don't think he can realistically compete with Slovis or Daniels in a passing offense. Just my opinion.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  11. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    earlandnic, Troy70 and gubo&palanka like this.
  12. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Good thing Slovis didn’t have this attitude.

zitorocks likes this.
  13. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 15, 2020
    Strikes me as a perfect replacement for Holden Thomas. Won't he fill that roll?

14. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Feb 15, 2020
    Much different circumstances.....

— Slovis was only a year behind Daniels
    — Slovis started out at #2 QB, with untested QBs behind him
    — Slovis got a 100% green light to play because Daniels got a season-ending injury
    — Slovis came from a passing QB system
    — Hasan came from a non-player at Syracuse, to a JC, to a non-player at Vandy
    — Hasan is 4 years behind Fink in team camaraderie
    — Hasan has no background in a full-on passing attack
    — Hasan comes in behind a firm #1, a firm #2, and a decent #3 QB
    — Hasan comes in at #4 QB

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  15. Bored of Clowns

Bored of Clowns Points Member

Feb 15, 2020
    YAWN!! Sounds like this dude might be this year's answer to that 30 year-old punter they got last year. Slow news period, obviously.

16. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Feb 15, 2020
    No, he won’t come in on a scholarship. USC needed a guy who could really just give them some quality practice reps. It certainly helps that Hasan has some game experience at this level, so you maybe know what you’re getting if you have to go that far down the depth chart.

Ultimately, I think this actually plays out better for USC than if they’d signed Shapen or Fennegan. They still have a scholarship to use and obviously the expectation would be that 2021 QB Jake Garcia (or a second 2021 signed) would beat out either of those 2020 signees and take over for Slovis/Daniels after the 2021 or 2022 season.

17. Canyon

Canyon Junior Member

Feb 16, 2020
    Thanks Erik for the explanation. OK, so with all, any grad transfers they do not use up any scholarship? Glad, this transfer did not use up the last and remaining valuable ride. Yes, this transfer gives the team a nice cushion at QB.

Now for next year 2021 QB class. I really hope Jake Garcia sticks. JG is worthy of his 5 stars rankings; he reminds of Mark Sanchez. The other QB that I wish USC land is Miller Moss of Bishop Alemany HS in San Fernando Valley. Seen Moss play twice on TV: he is a fine, very good QB. Moss has a strong arm, throws a tight spiral and very accurate. Plus, he moves well and able to run when necessary (collapsing pocket).

It shows USC offered him a while back and that he was very much interested in USC. Erik, at this time, is Miller Moss still interest in USC?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  18. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Feb 16, 2020
    Hasan will walk on, so that’s why he won’t use a scholarship. Any other addition (regular transfer or grad transfer) who comes in on scholarship will count against both the total scholarship number (85) and the initial scholarship number (25 per year). USC has a ton of room with those initial counters since it signed such a small class, but is right up against that 85 number.

Clay Helton has said they held back two scholarships to use later, but by my count, if Daniel Imatorbhebhe and Tayler Katoa are added to the roster, USC will be up to 85 scholarships. So if that’s the case, there would need to be some additional movement (likely in the form of a transfer or medical retirement) on the roster to allow for a scholarship grad transfer to come in.

19. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 17, 2020
    Erik, when I checked the rosters of USC and Clemson for 2019 I noted far more than 85 players on each roster. Clemson reports 120 players on their 2019 roster and I think USC had 110. How can that be if there can only be 85?