Possible Dilemma For Mike Bohn

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by conquest4ever81, Nov 9, 2019.

1. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Nov 13, 2019
    Or here

images (62)-1.jpg
    SHAZAM!

2. CCTrojans

CCTrojans Junior Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I think outsiders understand perfectly well that USC fans can be unreasonable. We had fans on the message boards calling for Pete Carroll to be fired after we didn't make it back to the title game for a few years (even though we had teams that were good enough, such as the '08 team).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that Helton should be retained. But it's not reasonable to expect USC to compete for national titles consistently anymore. We don't put enough into the coaching budget, we don't have conference leadership that supports us (it seems the opposite, actually), our conference has no other great teams to foster competition, and football out west is just not the cultural phenomenon that it is in the south or Midwest. I think it's healthier to look at the early 2000s as an outlier period than to expect that we can consistently be a program of that caliber.

I'd settle for competitive, consistent teams that are in the playoff discussion regularly and don't get hammered when they play other top teams. I'm not going to be "extremely disappointed" if we don't win national championships. That's a high bar and, for a variety of reasons, I don't think we're committed enough to consistently reach it.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  3. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I have decided you are actually Paul Hacket and are delighting in the fact you will no longer be considered the worst coach in recent USC history.

Trojan12 and sctrojan2006 like this.
  4. conquest4ever81

Nov 14, 2019
    Helton worse than Paul Hackett? Seriously? Did Hackett win a Rose Bowl or conference title? Did he have any 10 win seasons? Thanks for playing.

5. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I disagree to an extent. This what has fans up in arms, that USC has not put enough into the football program including the coaching budget, and they haven’t been committed enough to consistently contend for NC’s.

Fans can indeed be unreasonable, especially toward an HC. That said, we all realize that no team will win the NC every year, but this team should be at least in the discussion and in contention for NC’s most years, and if it’s not, action needs to be taken to get us back to that point. I’m not talking about one down year, but 10 years now out of contention has fans justifiably a bit upset.

USC is one of only 8 “Blueblood” football schools in the country with a history and tradition that only handful of schools can match. We should not be out of the NC picture for this long.

6. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Nov 14, 2019
    So you’re saying there’s a chance!!!!!!

You and theUSCway are truly Dumb and Dumber.

Trojan12 and ScMafia like this.
  7. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Nov 14, 2019
    If Hacket had been the coach, we would have won those games too...shit, if we had no coach.
    We won despite Helton.

Trojan12 likes this.
  8. conquest4ever81

Nov 14, 2019
    There could be an issue where Bohn may find himself in a situation where he can't fire CCH. If Clay asked what expectation he would need to meet to keep his job and Mike said win the CCG and get us to the Rose Bowl and Helton does it, this would put him in a position where he would have no choice but to retain him or risk legal consequences for him and the university.

9. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Nov 15, 2019
    If Helton has that in writing, you might be right.

10. DaFireMedic

Nov 15, 2019
    It’s not likely that he does. I don’t see an incoming AD making that kind of commitment.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  11. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Nov 15, 2019
    Well I am glad for more ardent USC fans than I am.
    I would settle for a place in the CFP.
    But USC is no longer a blueblood in football.
    But to be 11th place in the PAC 12 in recruiting and 77th in the nation is no blueblood.
    Can't win the PAC12 south let alone the PAC12.
    Even the CFP is a pipe dream that at least Washington has gotten into.
    Oregon, Utah, and Wash are the bloodbloods now.
    We have a long road back.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  12. DaFireMedic

Nov 15, 2019
    You seem to be misinterpreting what a “Blue Blood” is. It isn’t the necessarily the best teams in any given year, it’s over the history of college football. One year, or even 10 years of mediocrity doesn’t take away our blue blood status.

We are in a down period right now, but USC still has a history and tradition matched by only a handful of schools. OU, Utah, and UW are nowhere near the blue bloods, they are just the top teams in the PAC-12 at the moment. Even Clemson, with all of their recent success under Swinney, is not considered a blue blood, as they just don’t have the history.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17336754/alabama-crimson-tide-notre-dame-fighting-irish-ohio-state-buckeyes-oklahoma-sooners-usc-trojans-lead-list-college-football-blue-bloods

I do agree that a blue blood should play like one, so we need to get this program back on course, and quickly.

13. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Nov 15, 2019
    I rather have a blue blood that is not 10 or 20 years in the past
    Where have you been?

ConquerorSC likes this.
  14. 1stNGoalSC

1stNGoalSC Points Member

Nov 15, 2019
    ^^^This!

15. DaFireMedic

Nov 15, 2019
    Read the article that I linked. It explains why USC and 7 other schools are considered the blue bloods, and why USC and other blue blood schools in a down period still hold that status.

16. conquest4ever81

Nov 15, 2019
    You must've been in a coma during the Hackett nightmare to make such an idiotic comment. Hackett had plenty of talent and couldn't win with Carson Palmer.

17. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Nov 15, 2019
    Troy4 Me:
    What a stupid azz post.

18. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

LaissezFaire28thStUSC Junior Member

Nov 15, 2019
    The claims that USC fans are unreasonable and have expectations that are too high are nonsense. The sad thing is that USC's problems are self inflicted. And the fans are not to blame.

WEARESC is the name of this site. It's a chant at the games too for a reason. It is a reflection that USC is special. The University of Successful Children.

USC should win or compete for national championships 4 out of 5 years. No excuses. Just results. The 60s and 70s were good. 2002-2008 is how is should be. Alabama wins or competes every year now. Compare where that campus is located to Southern California.

Not enough resources? Fire everyone in the administration responsible. Donors are willing to put up the money. So money is no object. Are you aware of the net worth of USCs largest donors? If the administration is too foolish to allocate the resources, the donors will.

Fire everyone who can't succeed. Max got fired. Wanda was terrible and should have been fired. Dean Ellis should NOT have been fired. That blunder cost USC tens of millions of dollars. If Folt stands in the way of success, fire her too. If Bohn doesn't deliver elite football results, fire him too.

Bring back the good old days in sports and in the Greek system at USC.

Expecting elite results is unreasonable at UCLA, Washington State, New Mexico State and a lot of other places. Not here.

DaFireMedic and Trojan12 like this.
  19. 023lenlen

023lenlen Senior Member

Nov 16, 2019
    I'm glad you said Alabama NOW. Btwn Bryant leaving and Saban's second year, they had the same abyss.