Poll: Greatest USC game of all time - Final

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Mar 31, 2020.

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Apr 1, 2020
    2005 orange bowl should have won this competition, but between the 2 finalists it’s an easy choice: 74 ND

KeepCalm&FightOn and AMLTrojan like this.
  3. DrJohnDC

DrJohnDC Junior Member

Apr 1, 2020
    74 is the choice. Down 24 to 0 and then scored 49 points in 17 minutes, And put tears in Ara’s eyes in his last game.
    Stood the entire 2nd half. And in the Coli. Still get goose bumps whenever I think about it.
    Fight On.

4. AD1974

AD1974 Points Member

Apr 1, 2020
    This is personal for me. This was the game as a boy, that I truly became a Trojan fan. You see my Dad groomed my brothers and I to love SC football because he did. When he was young my Grandma and him would board the train on game day and travel from OC to his Grandfathers house in Pasadena; to listen to the game’s radio broadcast. It was the only radio the family had, so they did what they needed to do. He attempted to pass the passion on to us.

The ‘74 game had such an impact on me because of the hopeless feeling I had at halftime - you know the story. To make matters worse, my neighborhood friends had parents that were ND alumni. Guess who was heckling outside our front door during the break?? All 8 of them!! They were relentless and crushed the memory of the 6 we hung at the end of the 2nd qtr.

I sat on the floor to watch the second half start with no expectations... had a faint thought of “what if” as the ball sailed end over end towards the goal line. AD cradled the ball and cut left through the wall down the sideline while my heart and mouth began to explode with every galloping stride until he reached the end zone!! Did that really just happen? #28 might as well have been wearing a red cape!! The ensuing onslaught featured tenacious defense, offense and special teams that hit ND before my heckling friends even got back across the street... I remember the roar of the crowd, the admiration in Keith Jackson’s voice and the beautiful white horse that was racing around the track!! Oh that was fun to watch!

I’ve been to four games in all these years, saw Marcus carve up Wash St, was with my brothers & Dad when Carson decimated the Irish in 2002. Then came the doozy... I took my son to his first game on his 10th Birthday. He asked me as we strolled pregame outside the peristyle, “when did you become an SC fan?” I told him of 1974 and AD, just as we cleared some booths with tables I looked down and saw the SI cover of “what a comeback” featuring the galloping AD in living color and pointed to it and said “that’s AD and that’s the game!” He replied “no way!” Hard to believe I had the perfect prop right in front of me. Then as the surreal memories returned while I was gazing at the cover, a voice uttered “that was a special day” I glanced up to acknowledge the comment and if we hadn’t been blessed already... it was the Notre Dame killer himself!! AD then said to my son... “what’s your name kid” then proceeded to address the cover and sign it.

You betcha for this guy it’s ‘74, my son still might pick ‘05 or ‘17. Becoming a fan can be a lot like coming to faith, a little priming from those you love but it’s not yours until you truly embrace it for yourself.

5. dbergusc

dbergusc Junior Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Rivalry just means more. You can't a 'perfect day' without them.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  6. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Apr 2, 2020
    This is a great story, and very well written too. Thanks for sharing AD1974.

AD1974 and Trojan Man 30 like this.
  7. Rodgarnay51

Apr 2, 2020
    Those were the greatest 17 minutes this sports fanatic has ever seen. My most memorable play was Charles Phillips running down the sideline with the ball held aloft - the final nail in the coffin. What a great experience.

CrownoftheValley and AD1974 like this.
  8. Rodgarnay51

Apr 2, 2020
    I would. It was the most exciting Rose Bowl ever, and the ending was wild. But I think they all pale in comparison to 55-24.

9. jumpy369

jumpy369 Junior Member

Apr 3, 2020
    As great an ending as the Rose Bowl was it pales in comparison to the 74 ND game.If you weren't there you cannot really appreciate it as much.The mood swing of this game was off the charts.We never sat down in the 3rd quarter. Greatest USC game I witnessed in my 56 years of watching USCfootball.

10. Trojan Man 30

Trojan Man 30 Junior Member

Apr 5, 2020
    74! I was in 8th grade and can still picture AD running wild! That was an exciting time!

AD1974 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  11. AD1974

AD1974 Points Member

Apr 9, 2020
    My pleasure. I’ve been wanting to share it on the board for a long time. Couldn’t pass it up anymore. Thank you for the gracious compliment too.