Poll: Final Four best USC games of all time

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Mar 26, 2020.

2. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Mar 26, 2020
    Billy Hayhoe blocking 3 field goals in one game....I will never forget it. Wonder if anybody else ever did that?

901 Club and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  3. Fourthseed

Fourthseed Junior Member

Mar 26, 2020
    I vote for 1974! The best part of the 2005 Orange Bowl was Coach O berating the defense for allowing the last touchdown. An early peek into his intensity as a coach.

901 Club and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  4. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Mar 26, 2020
    2005, the Orange Bowl.

After 20+ years of relative mediocrity, we left no doubt that we were the best team in college football.

Cyrus likes this.
  5. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Mar 26, 2020
    I think the 74 ND is the greatest game ever, but I still voted for 05 orange bowl. As I said in the other thread that was the finest moment of our football program ever. We dominated on the biggest stage and were on top of the world.

6. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

Mar 26, 2020
    The funny thing is the most distressed you have been as a Trojan fan can be equal to the happiest in magnitude.
    The reason I originally chose the 63 game is that holding off the Gophers from snatching victory from defeat was almost as good as snatching it from notre dame

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  7. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Mar 27, 2020
    Well, we're getting to the finish, and it's time for my look at the Game of the Century.

Much of the story is told above. But it didn't do justice to the build-up to the game. Thus,

The Season Prior

UCLA and its fans once cared about football, believe it or not.

They used to hope and think they would make to the Rose Bowl game.

Which is why we look first at 1966.

In 1966, going into the game, due to uneven scheduling that left out new conference members Oregon and Oregon State, UCLA was 3-1 in conference games. (The Bruins lost at Washington 16-3.)

USC was 5-0, but lost out of conference to Miami (Florida).

It was widely assumed that the winner of the 1966 UCLA-USC game would go to the 1967 Rose Bowl.

UCLA star QB Gary Beban was out with a broken ankle, but backup Norman Dow, making his first and only start at QB, led UCLA to a 14-7 win.

A vote the next Monday among the conference athletic directors put USC in the Rose Bowl.

The UCLA fans did not take this too well --

[​IMG]

Shown: UCLA students halting traffic on the 405 Freeway after learning USC got Rose Bowl bid, Los Angeles, Calif., 1966,

Published caption: STUDENTS BLOCK FREEWAY-- View looking south on the San Diego Freeway after all four lanes of northbound traffic were brought to a halt by rampaging UCLA students. Scene in near Wilshire Blvd.

Publication: Los Angeles Times - Publication date: November 22, 1966

(All of this not needed for the post on the 1967 game, but too good to pass up.)

The 1967 Season

USC and UCLA began the season ranked seventh and eighth respectively.

As the season developed, USC had been ranked #1 for six weeks since beating #5 Texas and later Michigan State. USC notched a 24-7 victory over #5 Notre Dame on October 14, 1967.

The Bruins did quite well themselves. UCLA reached #2 before tying Oregon State 16-16 on November 4th.

A week later in a downpour in Corvallis, Oregon, Oregon State would beat top-ranked USC 3-0, as O.J. Simpson could not get going on the muddy field. USC dropped to #2 in the UPI and #4 in the AP, while UCLA ascended to the top ranking after their 48-0 win over Washington.

It was the first time since since the 1955 season that UCLA was ranked #1, and only the fourth AP weekly poll in the history of the school.

UCLA's tie and USC's loss were both inflicted by the Oregon State Beavers and their famed Giant Killers team. This same Oregon State team had defeated #2 ranked Purdue. But a 13-6 loss to Washington earlier in the season combined with the UCLA tie relegated the Beavers to second place.

The Game’s Stakes

This game was for the conference championship, clearly, and the conference’s berth in the Rose Bowl. There was also the likelihood that the winner of the game would be the AP Poll National Champion, as the final poll was published at the end of the regular season. (It was the next year, the final poll would be published after the bowl games.) The Heisman Trophy too.

The Game

As some of you may recall and most of you know, at the time both teams played in the Coliseum. The 1967 game was USC’s home, which at the time only meant that USC fans sat on the North side of the Coliseum, while the UCLA fans sat on the South (press box) side of the Coliseum. Both teams also wore their home uniforms when meeting at the Coliseum, UCLA in its sick blue and USC in Cardinal.

ABC began showing College football on television in color the previous season. By the NCAA rules, only 8 national and 5 regional telecasts were allowed during the season. This game would be the ABC-TV game of the week and would be presented live in color and feature the ABC sports "Slo Mo replay". ABC's number one broadcast team of Chris Schenkel and Bud Wilkinson called the action.

Details above.

Aftermath

John McKay stated, "I believe it was the most exciting college run I've ever seen."

Keith Jackson, who was in his first year in ABC football broadcasting narrating the taped highlights of the game, declared it many years later to be the greatest game he has ever seen.

Both Beban and Simpson were featured on the cover of the November 20 issue of Sports Illustrated magazine.

This game gets my vote.

8. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Mar 28, 2020
    '05, but it seems soooooo distant now. I remember asking my buds when would we ever lose a game again and why. Now the question is; will we ever find it again?

9. Trojsteve5

Trojsteve5 Junior Member

Mar 28, 2020
    Do you mean the 1963 Rose Bowl vs. WISCONSIN ?

10. GLA4USC

GLA4USC Junior Member

Mar 31, 2020
    901, thanks for posting that picture again. Seeing the Bruins' hissy-fit at the end of the '66 season always brightens my day! It wasn't the best of times for USC football, with the consecutive losses to UCLA, ND, and (coming up) Purdue, but that crazy day took off some of the edge. Eggs were flying at us. I wonder how many of the rioting Bruins ever learned that the snub they got was a direct consequence of UCLA's helping to screw the Trojans out of a Rose Bowl bid at the end of the '64 season.