Please call their Bluff, best opportunity in years.

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Buck Dancer, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Please call their Bluff, best opportunity in years.
    Buck Dancer

Buck Dancer Points Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Please please please let the NCAA banish CA schools!

Bring it on! Do you think for one second all of these student athletes would not be begging to get accepted to a CA school where they can earn cash for their 1 to 3 seasons of NCAA play? CA can simply form their own league, with 300 of the top 500 recruits, their own TV network, and have a semipro conference. The mythical National title has always been a bit of a joke as well. It is 2019 and we still have a FOUR team playoff LMAO. The SEC simply games the system, has for years, and now has a competitive advantage etc.

Bring it on! Sooner rather than later please. Real change needs to happen and these guys might just be dumb enough to do it themselves.

Where do I get the 300 out of 500 from? My a$$, however I think the majority of kids with NFL/NBA potential would rather get a college education while earning a paycheck or simply earn a paycheck while waiting out their NBA/NFL age requirements...call me crazy.

2. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I don’t believe that this would be as easy as it may sound. To sustain a league, they’d have to fill stadiums and get TV ratings, something that leagues like the USFL and others with star college and former/future NFL stars on teams with huge financial backing were unable to do.

Now we are talking about forming a professional football league by bringing in high school players that are all but unknown except among those interested enough in football to follow high school recruiting. Would that draw enough public interest to keep the league afloat where the USFL, the XFL, and the World Football League could not?

Regardless of how it turned out, it would mean the end of USC Football as we know it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  3. oc trojan

oc trojan Junior Member

Jun 25, 2019
    You mean an end to 5-7 teams and shitty coaches as we know it??

ConquerorSC likes this.
  4. DaFireMedic

Jun 25, 2019
    It would indeed end those, along with the rich football tradition shared by only a handful of schools, the USC vs ND game, and everything else that we love about USC football and come to forums like this to discuss. In the mean time, the NCAA would go on with the 100+ remaining FBS schools.

I want to stick it to the NCAA as much as anyone else here, but in this case it’s cutting off your nose to spite your face. Do you really want to see USC football placed into a league that will try to compete with the NFL and fold within a few seasons? Just because we had a poor season and you don’t like the coaches?

It doesn’t matter, because it won’t happen anyway. California is not going to disband it’s college football programs and form a semi-pro league, nor will they try to form a professional league out its colleges.

5. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Guessing SC, Cal, and Stanford would drop football.

6. DaFireMedic

Jun 25, 2019
    This is the most likely outcome if it went that far.

7. Ngdoug

Ngdoug Points Member

Jun 26, 2019
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Liberals ruin everything they touch.

8. SoAmericanTrojan

SoAmericanTrojan Junior Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Correct me if i am wrong ...isnt the law cover just pay when use likeness?.....no all player will make the same money....

9. TrojanRider4Life

TrojanRider4Life Junior Member

Jun 26, 2019
    I agree.. call their bluff ! That would mean no Rose Bowl, and maybe every team that plays at a California school , their players would be entitled to compensation if I'm correct?

10. DaFireMedic

Jun 26, 2019
    Not exactly. It means that players at California schools would be eligible (not entitled) to receive compensation for the use of their names/images. I believe that most players will receive little or nothing.

Does anyone outside of ardent USC fans and a certain Washington State fan know who Liam Jimmons is?

TrojanRider4Life likes this.
  11. Buck Dancer

Jun 26, 2019
    You are telling me if your league received 80 of the top 100 players from High School it would fail? You cannot compare second rate scrub players from the XFL to a league with Reggie Bush, Cam Newton, Mike Williams, Kyler Murray, etc.

12. Buck Dancer

Jun 26, 2019
    You guys are looking at this all wrong. We would be giving the middle finger to the NCAA and forming our own collegiate league. The rest of the country would have zero choice but to follow as all the top athletes would choose to get paid and an education.

13. Buck Dancer

Jun 26, 2019
    Why no Rose Bowl? We would simply take back the Rose Bowl. Please attempt to look at this from the eyes of a talented 17 year old with ambitions for the NFL. Get paid, play, and get an education. SJSU, SDSU, Fresno State, etc would suddenly be hot secondary destinations...the PAC schools would be the number #1 choice of many.

14. DaFireMedic

Jun 26, 2019
    Be honest, without looking them up, can you name even 10 (much less 80) of the top 100 high school players in the country right now?

Do you think that 80 players that are virtually unknown to 99% of football fans, much less the general public, are going to generate enough public interest to sustain a football league?

Semi-pro football leagues play at local high school football fields for a reason. There’s very little interest in them outside of ardent football fans.

The USFL drew star players like Herschel Walker, Steve Young, Jim Kelly, and Reggie White. There were billionaire team owners and massive marketing campaigns. Yet the league still couldn’t draw enough public interest and folded in 3 seasons.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  15. DaFireMedic

Jun 26, 2019
    Right or wrong, the NFL and the NCAA have a mutually beneficial arrangement where the NCAA is essentially the farm leagues for the NFL. I have a feeling this will be more difficult to get around than you might think. A nationwide league might be able to do it, but a California league? I’m have my doubts.

Most top HS recruits have the goal of an NFL career. Looking at this from the eyes of a talented 17 year old, with the goal of playing in the NFL and with offers from major NCAA schools as well as the hypothetical California league schools, I’d be asking myself which choice would most help me achieve my goal of playing in the NFL.

Would the California schools even be eligible for the draft? I don’t know. And what if the league folds while I’m still in school and have already forfeited my amateur status (and NCAA eligibility) by accepting compensation?

And how much would I be paid by choosing the California school? The schools themselves can’t pay me, I’d have to secure endorsement deals outside of the school itself. Is it worth the risk?

Also, who would the California schools play? Would there be public interest in seeing USC play Cal or Fresno St. three times each season? Would there be public interest in seeing USC play for a California league title?

There are so many potential unintended consequences here that aren’t being considered.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Hockey10 likes this.
  16. oc trojan

oc trojan Junior Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Sarcasm

17. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Agree that it would not be easy, but I also think it is possible. Banishing CA teams would mean 4 schools in Pac-12 with the highest viewership locales would no longer be in the conference. It also means SDSU & Fresno St. would be banished. So what would be the steps the 6 schools may take if this happened and they were keen on keeping the gravy train rolling?

1) Reach out to the rest of the Pac-12 schools whose only other practical choice would be to join one of the other Power 4 conferences, which for many does not make geographical sense. The appeal of attracting recruits that may be able to profit off of their likeness (highest rated recruits) may make them consider.
    2) Reach out to MWC teams, who may also like the idea of attracting 4-5 star recruits.
    3) Reach out to some of the other G5 teams or conferences to expand the appeal beyond west coast.

Still far-fetched that these 3 groups would jump but IF the numbers that do reach a critical mass, such league may be compelling for the more high-profile recruits who can see the $$. I think this scenario is different than USFL etc. because USC, Stanford aren’t Toronto Alouettes. It’s more like the Rams, Raiders, Broncos, and Seahawks deciding to leave the NFL. And if they can pull off bringing 49ers & Bears along with them, along with better benefits for the players (say, lifetime free medical care), it just may be a different story.

There will be plenty of recruits driven by the financial benefit of the league that this might actually work. Again, if they can gather a critical mass of schools (maybe around 3 dozen?) to jump the NCAA ship.

18. DaFireMedic

Jun 26, 2019
    I know... ;)

19. DaFireMedic

Jun 26, 2019
    It could if it were to happen nationwide, but I don’t think California can sustain a league by itself, at least not at the level that it does within the NCAA. I just don’t see the public interest being there for a California league title game between Cal and Fresno St. I don’t even think the California schools would even attempt such a league.

And you can’t just throw a league like this together, it would take several years. And call me pessimistic, but I have a feeling that the first league commissioner would be none other than Larry Scott.

Regardless, I honestly don’t think that any of this will play out this way. I think the NCAA will push through nationwide rule changes to allow players to be compensated for the use of their names/images. But that opens up a whole other can of worms with unofficial bidding wars for recruits, etc.

Again, there’s a lot more going on here than meets the eye....

20. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Jun 26, 2019
    A lot of ifs. It would be great "if" all happened but so would winning the lottery. "If" I could pick the right numbers.