Players

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Rainman44, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Players
    Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I was thinking about the team make-up thus far; I personally like this group, though it might be premature to say much more than that. Long way to0 go, but I like USC chances.

To that end, I thought about what players stand out to me, those that I'm particularly interested in seeing perform, develop, lead, etc this season. I narrowed my list to 3 on offense and 3 on defense.

Offense:
    • Michael Pittman - I could have easily have gone with Tyler Vaughns, but I chose Pittman because he strikes me as one who is going to be a visible leader and force on the field and off. He hasn't had instant success at USC, but we've seen enough to know he can be an AA if everything lines up. But his biggest role might just be that of leader, which he seems to be ready for.
    • Vavae Malepeai - I could haver chosen any one of the RB's, but for some of the same reasons I choose Pittman, I'm going with Vavae. He's worked hard in his time at USC, always representing the team. It'd be great to see him have an All Pac 12 like season doing little bit of everything out of the backfield.
    • Jack Sears - Yup, I think it's Jack's turn. This is not a statement against JT (I think the Trojans can win with him under center too), I'm just saying that Sears is ready IMHO and would be a big emotional boost to the team if he is turned loose at QB 2019.

Defense:
    • Marlon Tuipulotu -I've been a big fan of this big man since he flipped from UW. Hurting his back in year #1 was tough. He made it back though, and this is the season he shines. I think the DL is set up for this guy to a huge contributor.
    • Palaie Gaoteote - I don't have to say much here. I'm just excited to see this kid play. I hope he hasn't been over hyped (by default he has being compared to Junior, but oh well). Bottom line, anxious to see if he can be molded into a force on D that intimidates the opponent.
    • Talanoa Hufanga - I've always been a huge fan of USC secondary starts like Ronnie Lott, Dennis Smith, Mark Carrier. It seems like we haven't had the big time players back there in a long time (Isaiah Palo Mao could have been named here just as easily). Hufanga has exhibited leadership tendencies as well, and that means a lot to a team trying to find its way.

Those are 3 good football players on each side of the ball, for any team to build around. Interested to hear what others think.

2. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I remember a comment by Petros Papadakis when he described how Matt Leinart's demeanor did a 180° change in confidence when he was named starter over Matt Cassell. Matt held his head higher and there was an extra giddy-up in his step. There's something to be said about being told that the coaches have confidence in a player to get the job done. Strangely, where was that with Daniels? I didn't see any significant change in him but maybe that's who he is. I agree, Jack Sears will elevate to another level should he be named the starter. There's a genuine and natural leadership quality in the young man waiting to be set loose and allow him to do what comes naturally under the Bright Lights on the Big Stage. The young man has the "IT" factor. There's no other way to put it. Good luck to Jack and JT, I'm sure both young men will give USC all they have ; )

Fight On!

I BELIEVE

3. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Jack Sear isn't gonna start

4. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Aug 12, 2019
    FIFY

5. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Awesome 4 of the 6 are Poly boys. Too bad we could not land Penei!
    Fight On!

6. ImanMarshallLOCK

ImanMarshallLOCK Banned

Aug 12, 2019
    The best player on the team in the average fans eyes (as in someone who never played football) is always the backup quarterback.

TrojanFireHorse12 and jjg4sc like this.
  7. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Aug 12, 2019
    We have an excellent 7on7 team. We are stacked at skilled positions but truly lack OL/DL which is the most important position when you play 11 on 11. If our lineman’s steps up this year we can survive the season with a bowl game.

8. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 12, 2019
    I want to see Stepp. In another life, we could have that offense that gives him 20-25 touches per game. Malepeai would flourish, too.

Too bad we will never get to see it and hear those duck defenders crying No Mas in the 4th quarter.

jjg4sc, DJ4SC and DaFireMedic like this.
  9. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I respectfully disagree on the D-Line. I think this is going to be a monster D-Line.

We’ll have to see how the O-Line shapes up, especially as Austin Jackson gets back up to speed.

10. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Rainman...... you just picked six players (left out Tufele and Carr) that for reasonable people that are not geographically challenged (SEC lovers) would almost certainly have to be considered for some national recognition. Well....maybe not Sears....... yet.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  11. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Aug 13, 2019
    How much of this analysis is based on first-hand observation at games, camps, summer throwing sessions, and practices? Or is this mostly based on second-hand analysis and reports?

12. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Aug 13, 2019
    Pittman seems to not be all that talked about in camp, maybe he’s just steady and solid but we are hearing about St. Brown, both with skills and leadership. Vav seems to be giving way to Carr and Stepp, but I too expect him to be the main guy at the START of the season. JT is pretty much a lock I’m guessing, but Sears is more interesting athletically, like the other poster said, the backup is always the most popular.

13. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Aug 13, 2019
    He has been talked about tho

14. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Aug 13, 2019
    100% based on second hand (I'm not local). So I rely on the WeAreSC columnist, other publications, and the posters here who have attended scrimmages. Just having fun comprising my take on it all.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  15. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Aug 13, 2019
    If roles were reversed, with Jack Sears being named the starter last year, it would be easy to believe that JT would be "more popular" as the backup, (which is an ambiguous way of saying "the new shiny object"). But in this case I disagree. Jack is not the new shiny object. He got passed over in the naming of JT as starter last year. Looking back we can see that part of the brain trust that made that decision are gone (the QB coach and Tee), though Helton remains. It should be a clean slat now. JT has an edge coming in w/game time experience. Other than that, each has their own skill set and intangibles. There is probably no perfect answer. As I said above, the Trojans can win with JT at QB. I just think they are better w/Jack Sears (from my seat 500 miles away ;-)

16. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Aug 13, 2019
    Yeah, there are others you could pick for sure - my list were just guys I feel particular penchant for. It isn't intended to be overly scientific analysis.

17. VM805

VM805 Junior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Offense: Pittman, ARSB, Stepp
    Defense: Tufele, EA, Hufanga

Fuggetaboutit!

18. Coeur

Coeur Points Member

Aug 14, 2019
    I like your groups of 3. I don't have any good reasons for groups.

Wr's: this group has super crazy potential as far as how professional Pittman and vaughns and even arb should be. So the * is Devon Williams then watch the heck out

Rb's: underrated as can be. Carr is a super stud. And 3 more ready to thrill. Great group.

It's the superstars on defense about to bust out. 1. 78. Couple more.

DaFireMedic likes this.