People who graduated after 2014

Discussion in 'Trojan Huddle' started by SCFTFO, Oct 11, 2018 at 1:42 PM.

1. People who graduated after 2014
    SCFTFO

SCFTFO Junior Member

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:42 PM
    I'm genuinely curious, what is your perspective on USC under Helton?

You went to USC after our last generational coach was gone (Carroll). You've only really seen this program go through sanctions, drama and messy tenures by Kiffin and Sark. Helton has started with a pair of 10 win seasons and a Rose Bowl victory. And several high profile losses to to good or great programs.

What's your perspective on Clay Helton? What year are you?

2. xxTommyTrojanxx

xxTommyTrojanxx Active Member

Oct 11, 2018 at 3:32 PM
    I graduated in 2016. I was fortunate enough to run into Helton (while he still had the interim tag) and Cody Kessler on campus and got a picture with both. Helton couldn't have been any nicer. Really a great guy.

After meeting him in person, I was genuinely rooting for him every step of the way. The Rose Bowl game was the greatest height the program has been to since I've been a Trojan, and I thought that cemented Helton for awhile. Then came the Notre Dame game last year, followed by the Cotton Bowl. The Texas loss was the final straw for me. He's a great guy but not an elite head coach.

Since my time as a Trojan we've been a middle of the road program that isn't even expected to win any big games. That needs to change.

RPBSC and reaLchaZZZy like this.
  3. Fifty55Five

Fifty55Five Member

Oct 11, 2018 at 4:11 PM
    I’ve been a lurker for years and years and made an account to respond to your question. I graduated in 2014 so Lane Kiffin’s first year was also my first year at USC. I didn’t grow up in a USC family nor did I watch football in general so I joined the Trojan Family with arguably as clean of a slate as you can get. The only baseline before Helton I have is Kiffin/Sark. The only perspective I have of Carroll’s teams are what posters here talk about.

For the good, he brought program stability and me my first Rose Bowl and conference championship as an alumni. USC is supposed to be in contention of and winning these constantly but as they say your first time is always special.

For the bad I think he is not elite but serviceable head coach and he should never have been hired or even in the same breath of being a candidate. I agree with many posters here that USC should not be for on-the-job training. I don’t fault Helton for taking the job. I fault USC and the administration for offering it in the first place. One thing that is troubling is that the reliance on in-house promotions and hirings is indicative of a culture of nepotism that seems to have infected our program. You would have thought after seeing the incredible improvements Deland Mccullough had for the RBs in just one season we would have seen more outside hirings.

That being said, now that we’ve hired him I am also a big proponent of giving Helton a chance to right a rocky ship by making adjustments to his staff. I think giving Helton time is also two-fold. If you want to have a chance to hire an elite coach you must be in a position to hire them in the first place. If all that is out on the coaching market are B level coaches or unknowns I would rather keep Helton as our own version of Nebraska’s Bo Pelini than bring in a coach that is marginally better. I don’t want to be Penn State or Washington level. I want to be Alabama or Ohio State. I want a dynasty and you only get those by getting an elite slam dunk hire coach. And you can’t get an elite coach if you’re constantly hiring and firing some poor sap every few years.

4. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Oct 11, 2018 at 4:31 PM
    I damn near hit the like button on this post, and almost did again. But I am afraid that Hellton has circled the wagons and will resist input from Swann as he has clearly ignored the writing on the wall heretofore and paid only lip service to the uprising. But you don't have the benefit of seeing these warning signs that some of us observed over the decades. Even some without inside info that some of us have, have concluded this ship has sailed and that the Admin sold us short, thus the comments about Haden's residue on the program. As an example, McCollough was a great hire and we should have done whatever we could to keep him, even if Drevno's return was already in the works. But the problem with that is that Clay has severely resisted releasing his friend Callaway. This is the writing on the wall.

You are quite right that the program, our players and the rep of all of us having been a part of the program deserve better and that we should not allow OJT here and get a top 5 type of HC. It truly is one of the best jobs in the country and the occupant of the HC's office in the McKay Center needs to rise to the occasion.

5. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:22 PM
    I fear even if Pete watched practice & made suggestions Clay wouldn’t change

Alfa1, Merlin4SC and reaLchaZZZy like this.
  6. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:35 AM
    Or, he would - but only temporarily. It would be like one of those episodes of "Kitchen Nightmares" where chef Gordon Ramsay goes to a failing restaurant and points out all the things the restaurant is doing wrong, and how to fix it.

The restaurant looks good while Ramsay is actively steering the ship, so to speak, but once he leaves, a lot of the time the owners have fallen back onto their old habits of failure.

Helton is who he is - a good, decent man whose program has so far been scandal-free and who is a good recruiter and whose teams win more often than they lose. He is also emphatically NOT a coach who can realistically go head to head with the Sabans and Meyers and expect to come away with a win.

7. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:08 AM
    Yeah but in the meantime, the script requires the beneficiaries at the restaurant say OMG 5 times a cry 3 times after a cute remodel.

8. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:36 PM
    Was the AD forced to higher Helton because of the players?

I remember reading something about several players threatening to transfer if they didn’t hire Helton bc they weren’t happy about another coaching change including passing up on coach O. Unsure how true that was but only the players during that time would know.