Pendergast & Baxter

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by twenty twenty, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Pendergast & Baxter
    twenty twenty

twenty twenty Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Pendergast & Baxter were informed two weeks before the Iowa game that they were out.
    You do not fire the coaches before the bowl game and expect a good result. Coupled with the four silent commit nonsense and SC leadership continues to amaze.

2. AJSCFAN

AJSCFAN Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    So if that's the case, what is taking so fucking long to find replacements??? You would've thought feelers would've been put out before then.

3. AJSCFAN

AJSCFAN Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    I agree.

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  4. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    It's because they had to wait for the NE Patriots to end their season. Bill Belichick is going to take our DC job. I heard he was tired of winning Super Bowls and TB12 is not what he used to be.

Seriously, there could be plenty of logical explanations for not announcing a DC hire yet. I'm hoping that it's logical anyway...probably an NFL guy who is currently still coaching in the playoffs.

5. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    The whole mess, one way or another, should have been dealt with decisively immediately after the UCLA game. At the latest. Isn't there still a recruiting period going on? What are they doing??!!

6. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Reminds me of a time when I and our whole shift (almost whole) was laid off from a job (union and layoff based on seniority). Our lead told us before work began who was going at the end of the shift. Everyone who was laid off, and some who weren't, walked out during the shift, except me and another guy because we were working on a machine further back so they couldn't find us.

Note to anyone who thinks administration have their back: The union didn't do a single thing to help those who walked out. They got fired for walking, including the guys who were not laid off who walked in protest.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  7. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    I have a hard time imagining an NFL DC, whose team made the playoffs, is just waiting until his team loses because he has an opportunity to step down to the college game and work for Clay Helton. We're down to 8 playoff teams.

Minnesota, SF, Tenn., Baltimore, Houston, KC, Seattle and GB. I don't follow the NFL closely. Which DC(s) from those teams do you see as interested in working for a hot seat college coach?

I think your're slipping into the "hoping for anything good even if the hope makes little sense" mode. Welcome to the party.

8. JImmytheGreek

JImmytheGreek Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    The USC athletic department is the Keystone Cops without the catchy background music.

Gjimmy, ClovisTroy, OC2SC and 3 others like this.
  9. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    interesting. I heard they are waiting for the Seattle season to end so Pete Carroll can become our DC.

10. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    I wasn't thinking DC...more so a position coach in the NFL...like a DB, LB, or DL coach. I agree, likely no NFL playoff team DC would be coming to USC unless they are going to be fired from their NFL job.

I suppose you could also include someone who's waiting for the HC positions to be filled in case he is a potential member of the new coach's staff.

11. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    I would take Wade Phillips if he actually recruits.

12. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Me too...even if he didn't leave campus. If his staff went out and told recruits that Wade Phillips was the DC, that's about all it would take to get some top guys.

TheTrojanKnight and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  13. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Monte Kiffin Rev2?

14. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    I think good ole Monte didn't adapt to new offensive schemes as well as Wade. Denver won their last Super Bowl against Carolina completely on the backs of their defense. If you remember, Manning was absolutely horrendous that season and was hurt for half of it...Siemian ended up starting several games. The defense completely shut down sCam, which is what USC needs since they play at least half their games against RPO/running QBs.

15. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Monte was still hired by the Cowboys, even after the SC debacle. Someone still thought highly of him.

Goes without saying Monte's signature defense went the way of the dodo and never had a chance in college. I doubt Wade would be about that, but again, Wade is accustomed to thinking at a very high level, with professionals. Expecting him to be as effective with 18 yr olds and enjoy doing so...is a whole different story. Not even mentioning recruiting, discipline, high energy and the other intangibles.

I don't think Patton would have been a good West Point commander, or had the patience to want to be.

zitorocks likes this.
  16. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

23 Blast on 3rd and 7 Points Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Remember Jerry Jones hired Monte after the USC debacle. That tells you everything you need to know really.

17. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jan 9, 2020
    And you know this how? The mistakes made by SC players during the game were mistakes of ongoing poor coaching and scheming, not something that would have been affected by coaches hearing that they were being let go. If true they were told, perhaps to let them respond if other organizations were reaching out to them?

18. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Actually there isn’t a logical explanation other than pure incompetence on the part of USC.
    And what successful pro D coach would take a pay cut and step down to coach a train wreck?

19. Arthur Jury

Arthur Jury Points Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Re. Pendergast and Baxter: Have you noticed no other team has "snatched therm up" to be their coaches ????? Has anybody ever told these clowns "you're the greatest coaches ever" ? Nope. Did they ever wonder why ?