Paying athletes...

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Usc_teeth, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Usc_teeth

Usc_teeth Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Agree with you.

2. uscchris

uscchris Junior Member

Oct 2, 2019
    While much will change between now and 2023, this rule will likely benefit only a very small percentage of elite athletes, numbering in the single digits.

Meanwhile, California’s homeless population has grown double digit percentages over past few years, and now stands at 129,972 (2018).

So, the governor is touting the assistance provided a handful of premier athletes already receiving benefits worth more than $100,000 per year. Is it possible the governor can now reduce the homeless count by similar raw numbers? Perhaps get down to 129,964?

TroyBill likes this.
  3. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Oct 2, 2019
    If the governor would quite passing legislation that makes the homeless situation worse, that would be a good start.

4. jerald grossman

jerald grossman Points Member

Oct 2, 2019
    I have read this article, and in my opinion it really do a lot harm to college athletics. It allows CHEATING on a grander stage then ever before. It is not good at all, and it should have never came up period. Athletes get most everything free now. Free education, free books, free room and board, and free clothes plus most all student athletes get a stipend every month. How they spend it, is their choice.

5. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Oct 2, 2019
    I don't actually live in CA anymore, Newsome is not my guy, don't have a dog in this fight.

But it is a FB site, and you're ranting about a Governor.

And just for perspective, this issue has reached a national level with other states getting involved now to have a say in how this plays out:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/27751454/congressman-propose-federal-legislation-paying-college-athletes

Imagine that, a Republican Rep. from Ohio, arguing for the same thing.

So now that this not a lone CA issue, can we debate the actual issue and take the political rant to the OT?

6. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 2, 2019
    Creepy.

Lol. Okay. However, your initial comment had nothing to do with your alleged awe-inspiring 1-on-1 skills.

What does the WNBA have to do with anything? The discussion was around paying college athletes and you said, "Keep the biggies like football, hoops, baseball, track and maybe some swimming or tennis...screw the rest."

Newsflash....football is likely the only revenue-generating sport at USC. And again, the men's sports aren't delivering results other than tennis or water polo. Could you beat one of our women's water polo players in the pool? Highly unlikely and I know you damn sure couldn't beat any of the men. How about beach volleyball, stud? You gonna out hit, out block, out serve the ladies? Lol.

But I digress. Your comment was, "How much sense does it make for a school like UCLA to fly a softball team to Florida for a softball game and 3 nights in a hotel. That trip would probably cost 50k when all is said and done. Just stupid and irresponsible. Happens at all schools multiple times a year. They don’t make a thing...even the home team loses money. Not enough people care to watch it, let alone pay to watch it. " I gave you very specific FACTS. Not opinion, FACTS. UCLA softball generates revenue! People DO watch. In FACT,

"Tuesday’s Game 2 of the UCLA-Oklahoma Women’s College World Series final earned a 1.1 rating and 1.80 million viewers on ESPN, up 18% in ratings and viewership from Florida State-Washington last year (0.95, 1.52M) and flat and up 3% respectively from Oklahoma-Florida in 2017 (1.1, 1.74M).

The Bruins’ win delivered the largest WCWS audience in four years, since Michigan-Florida Game 3 in 2015 (2.27M).

It also delivered the fourth-largest baseball or softball audience on cable this year, behind three Sunday Night Baseball games."

I would bet you that if you compared the academic resumes of the Women of Troy and the Men of Troy across all sports, you'd find a significant advantage by the Women in who could/did earn an academic scholarship outside of their sport. Only 4 women's sports are headcount, meaning they can earn full scholarships. All the rest have to earn part-tuition/financial aid through academic achievement and that includes the 3 women's sports who have been winning at USC...water polo, beach volleyball, soccer. The men's team with the largest roster and coincidentally is one of the 2 male headcount sports is football! I had no idea the football team were all National Merit Scholars tearing up the GPA.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. Too bad it isn't based in fact. Oh, and when was the last time USC baseball was entertaining?

nvargas and norcalsurfer like this.