Paying athletes...

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Usc_teeth, Sep 30, 2019.

1. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Who was the last OL that had a billboard petitioning for a Heisman? Rarely do WR's even get that kind of attention.

Who was the last OL to win the Heisman? That's pretty unfair, since "It all starts up front".

Who was the last 2nd string LB to make the cover of Sports Illustrated like Maualuga/Matthews/Cushing? Perhaps that tore at Mays and some of the other players and caused upheaval in the locker room?

2. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    The NCAA has had a decade to think this through, but they didn't (and got rich along the way). Time's up, do something now with a counterproposal or something will be done for you.

3. flyerz73

flyerz73 Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Correction ... They'll be lured to schools whose boosters are willing to create lucrative endorsement packages.

4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Exactly. QB's have been getting the star treatment since Pop Warner. This isn't anything new. The QB touches the ball on every single offensive play and is often at the most risk for injury. A good QB is probably the rarest of all players on the field...they have to receive the ball, read the defense, successfully hand-off, check down receivers, throw the ball, etc. Nobody else is doing that much.

It's like the big outside hitter in volleyball...nobody really cares who comes in to serve and play back row. Or the key striker on the soccer field...nobody really cares that much about the outside backs. The end of the line-up doesn't usually get paid as much as the #4 hitter. The pitcher makes more than the catcher. These are basic elements of competitive team sports.

5. silversprint

silversprint Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    True. However when such inventions are commercialized USC has a Royalty Sharing agreement with the inventor. Meaning the student still gets paid for their discovery regardless of if they are on scholarship.

Zuckerberg's college didn't get a piece of Facebook when he invented it in his dorm room. A football player won't be able to get paid for a computer discovery even if it's not football related, WHY?

Regardless this is not the same thing. Football is not a discovery or invention. It's not intellectual property.

6. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Not sure why folks are still talking about "endorsements." That's not what this is about. It will be about boosters paying to bring players in. USC has no chance of competing with some other schools, such as Oregon or the Big 12/SEC. Heck--T Boone Pickens himself would sponsor players if he could (when he was still alive). So yes, a booster might very well pay an OL to come to 'Bama or A & M. It won't just be about QBs.

uscvball likes this.
  7. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    It may cause an issue, but I think that could be dealt with. The real issue, I believe, is the fraudulent use of endorsements as a conduit to pay recruits to choose a particular school.

Very few O-Linemen or other non “skill” position players, regardless of their recruiting ranking would be likely be paid for the legitimate use of their name/image, etc. They just don’t have the public visibility that the skill position players do.

However, because they win football games, the elite of these at all positions will be getting paid to choose to play at a particular school by their boosters under the guise of endorsements.

8. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    If you believe that, i would like to talk to you about some property I have for sale. :)

9. SouthbayTrojan91

Oct 1, 2019
    You sure about that?

10. SouthbayTrojan91

Oct 1, 2019
    Yes. That is what will happen.
    If the USC QB, on top of everything USC gives him (food, room, education, training) is pulling in $250K a year in endorsements, how is your perception of them going to change? They certainly are not a "kid playing a college game", not in the same way they are now.

Maybe it will all work out. But I can certainly see a scenario where it gets really out of hand.

I can also see a scenario where no team from the PAC12 every wins another championship in football, basketball, baseball, softball or track....unless it is Oregon.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  11. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Lol. You are just going to confuse him with all these facts and figures. His head is going to explode when he realizes how ignorant his posts were.

12. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    It doesn’t matter what joe fan thinks about who is most valuable on the team, it only matters what the players feel.
    You are fooling yourself to think that there will not be some strong feelings among the support players.

13. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Your opinion doesn’t factor into importance on the team, only the players.
    If the star QB is making big bank then rest assured that the supporting players see that and are shaking their heads and looking into their empty wallets. Human nature.

14. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    I have yet to see any athletes saying they are opposed because support players won't get jack.

The argument thus far has centered on football simply because it's the largest revenue generator and one of a handful of headcount sports. But this bill impacts ALL athletes and the majority of student athletes play equivalency sports which means they don't get a full ride.

" It’s a common misconception that college athletes graduate debt-free or studied on a full scholarship. In many cases, especially among those who don’t have the ability to play professionally after college, student athletes struggle for money. A majority of NCAA athletes come from black, disadvantaged, inner-city families, living below the poverty line and relying upon loans to cover basic costs such as room and board. For these students, one bad injury or a sudden loss of form could be the difference between a professional sports career and a lifetime in serious debt."

Take someone like Michael Norman. With this bill in place, he might have chosen to run at USC for another year. Kelly Claes and Sara Hughes might have made some money during their Championship run because they were the #1 pair. The other pairs wouldn't have cared. If support players have "feelings", then they should become QB's, RB's, and WR's.

15. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    That really is a dumb argument.

16. Usc_teeth

Usc_teeth Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    I was waiting for your response. I watch sports to see athletes do something that I can’t...I can beat every woman at usc in basketball and I’m 37. That’s why it sucks. The WNBA is a joke. It is subsidized by the NBA because nobody cares to watch it.
    Hooray for women’s tennis and water polo but when it costs the school millions to keep these teams and their athletic schollies steal schollies from smart people, I think it is a waste. You can have your opinion, I’ll keep mine. They aren’t entertaining. Period.

17. Usc_teeth

Usc_teeth Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Nope, I didn’t research a thing before posting. I didn’t care to. Is newsome a good Governor?? He was an idiot before taking office. He ran SF into the ground and now their is poop all over their city. He sucks. And Lebron is a fool. No need to explain that.
    I could have read this bill and researched for an hour, or just post on here and now I know all I need to know in 2 minutes. Thanks.

18. Usc_teeth

Usc_teeth Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    I have always enjoyed your football posts but defending newsome and his stupid laws, taxes and continuing to run this state into the ground, you’ve lost credibility.

19. Usc_teeth

Usc_teeth Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    They feed them 2 elite, amazing, spectacular meals a day. They eat better than most students already.

20. Usc_teeth

Usc_teeth Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Not ignorant at all. If you enjoy women’s tennis at usc, and think it’s worth millions to keep the sport going, then I don’t know what to say.