Paying athletes...

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Usc_teeth, Sep 30, 2019.

1. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Do you ever bother to research things before you post?

"Tuesday’s Game 2 of the UCLA-Oklahoma Women’s College World Series final earned a 1.1 rating and 1.80 million viewers on ESPN, up 18% in ratings and viewership from Florida State-Washington last year (0.95, 1.52M) and flat and up 3% respectively from Oklahoma-Florida in 2017 (1.1, 1.74M).

The Bruins’ win delivered the largest WCWS audience in four years, since Michigan-Florida Game 3 in 2015 (2.27M).

It also delivered the fourth-largest baseball or softball audience on cable this year, behind three Sunday Night Baseball games — Red Sox-Yankees last weekend (1.97M), Braves-Phillies in March (1.87M) and Cardinals-Cubs last month (1.81M)."

And....

"According to the Department of Education, college softball teams reported $450 million in revenue in 2016-17 (the last year data has been reported). The top school listed -- Florida State (the 2018 NCAA champions) -- reported $2.2 million in softball revenues. Baylor University also reported $2.2 million in revenue and 42 additional programs reported more than $1 million in revenues.

When we look at all college sports, we see that only three men's sports -- football, men's basketball, and baseball -- report larger revenues than women's softball. The Department of Education reports revenue on at least 30 men's college sports, so at least 27 men's college sports are not doing as well today at women's softball."

You seem to not realize that the increase in female athletes at universities around the country has allowed a generation of women to get their college education while also competing for their University. Plus, if we remove women from the graduation success rate, a lot of schools drop significantly.

Jack53 and sctrojan2006 like this.
  2. CCTrojans

CCTrojans Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    I'm a 40-year-old adult professional and I can't work outside my current job without approval from my employer. It's not farfetched to place limitations on outside income. I understand the opinions of those in favor of this legislation, but someone is either an amateur athlete or they're not. If they can make money off of their likeness and imagine INDEPENDENTLY of the school they're attending, let them leave and do so. But there's no need to act like college athletics is oppressing them. Most of them would be nobodies if they didn't have a well-known school jersey on their back. Let the exceptions leave. Don't blow up the entire model for the sake of a few people.

Usc_teeth likes this.
  3. TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Someone else who didn't read.

No one is paying athletes. This California law simply challenges whether or not it's correct for them to be able to prevent a person from benefiting from their own likeness.

If someone's daughter were at USC and she invented a programming language that was widely accepted. She would own the intellectual property and would be able to financially benefit from it. Even if she were on the full academic scholarship from USC.

Yet, we are okay with this massive double standard when it comes to athletes. These former NFL players literally spend most of their lives developing these talents. I've literally seen people who have their four-year-olds running up and down a football field. And then they get to some place where they can showcase those talents they have been cultivating. And we tell them that it's not okay for them to profit off their labor.

4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    I've never had the limitation place on me by an employer. In fact, I wrote and published material for which I was paid and my employer didn't care at all.

It isn't about oppression. If anything it was about the greed and profit being made by the NCAA, schools, conferences, athletic departments from selling the image or "results" of certain athletes. The current formula makes no sense for the 1% of athletes who fall into this category. They know they can either stay to play while everyone else makes money off of their name and image, or they can scoot to the pros where THEY can make money off their own name and image.

yah20002 and nvargas like this.
  5. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Aside to this thread.

I suspect we will see it more and more. Also, limitations on what you can post on social media,

Anything that can identity you to the employer the employer may not want out there.

6. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    I agree. We should pay the players minimum wage and then let them get tips from the fans based on their play on the field. This team would be getting tips equivalent to McDonald's. Maybe next season they can move up to In-n-Out. Score a TD, get $10 from the fans who want to give. Get a turnover, get a $10 from the fans who want to give. I love it. Heck I'd give $10 to any player who scores a TD or gets a turnover. It would be well worth the money given how much we pay for tickets and concessions only to see crappy play on the field.

7. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    I have had limitations on this my whole career.

8. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    That is already in place. People lose their jobs these days over what they may have put on social media when they were 12.

zitorocks likes this.
  9. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    No, it's about boosters being able to pay recruits, pretending they "work" at the booster's firm.

10. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Actually, most FB programs lose money. It's only the top teams that make money in football.

11. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Bad comparison. The "amateur" stuff is intended to level the competition. Doesn't work, but that's the idea: Alabama can't have boosters buy players. Your computer example doesn't fit. No one is arguing for a level playing field, so that all colleges have access to the same computer geniuses. I'm also not sure Fletcher Jones lets USC use his plane to recruit computer engineers.

12. SCBIGTIME

SCBIGTIME Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    The problem with all this is how this will affect women's sports. The NCAA's role (although very flawed as we'd all agree) would direct the profits from men's football and men's basketball to be used in funding all the non-revenue generating sports programs, including women's sports. Things will change, not all for the better.

13. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Not sure how this affects women's sports. The money won't be coming from the School, it will be from boosters who want to buy players. It's possible that a rich booster may want to buy a women's soccer player or other athlete, I suppose, but that isn't coming from the school.

Posters keep wanting some rich alum to buy out Helton's contract and help pay for Urban. Why not also ask them to finance the roster? Paul Salata started the idea of endowing scholarships for roster positions...I guess this is the next logical step--endow a specific player, not just his position?

14. NHHSFan

NHHSFan Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    I wonder about how this can impact team moral......
    Yes, now the “elite” players get media, pro team, and fan recognition, but no additional benefits until they move on to their pro careers.
    What happens when that “elite” player is also getting endorsement/compensation?

DJ4SC likes this.
  15. Globe

Globe Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    I agree. The only problem is you're gonna get those people who tip 15% no matter how crappy the service is. I never understand that.

16. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Reggie Bush should not have to work with drug dealers in order to allow his parents to go to away games. We need some changes my suggestion would it class specific so nothing as a freshman increasing for seniors

17. Globe

Globe Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Do states really have to pass bills to stipulate that certain groups can be paid for the use of their likeness/name, etc? If Starbucks baristas could land endorsement deals would their states have to authorize it?

Or is this just the State of California's throwing down a challenge to the NCAA?

18. Carlsport

Carlsport Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Additionally, if said Computer Engineer Student developed that computer language with the assistance of a Professor as part of a University class/research project, the University would indeed own the rights, not the Computer Engineer Student (unless very explicitly contracted for).

Wouldn't that be akin to a Star player (like a Computer Engineer Student), playing with other students and for a Coach (like a professor)?

That all being said, I'm for some form of re-distribution of wealth from the schools, broadcasting networks and coaches (crazy they can make $8Mn a year coaching "amateurs") to the star players (and to a lesser extent, other players so long as their sport is generating income).

19. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    It would be good as a business lesson to allow upper classmen to work with industry to earn a stipend, Think of it as semester abroad

20. Trojanopolis

Trojanopolis Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    It sounds like you didn't know ANY of the details. And you're the one calling everyone like LeBron and Newsome idiots. Maybe you should relegate yourself and this topic to the Off Topics/Crank forum.

nvargas likes this.