Paying athletes...

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Usc_teeth, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Paying athletes...
    Usc_teeth

Usc_teeth Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    has a thread already been created discussing this??? If it hasn’t, this should be interesting.

So Gavin “dipshit” Newsome is apparently signing a bill to make California the first state that will allow Universities to pay athletes. I’m not sure of any details but if other states don’t follow our (idiotic) lead on this, won’t thus create a huuuuuge recruiting advantage for California schools??? I mean even a few thousand a month will seem like heaven for these kids who have no clue how much they are already being given just because it isn’t green Bills in their hands when they get housing, tutors, books, education, medical coverage, dental coverage, etc

Basically we could hire anybody and our recruiting classes should be top 10 no matter what. We could almost stop recruiting if these other states don’t follow. Kids will beg to come. Of course Helton would still lose with the 25 best kids every season because he has no clue what he is doing but for football and hoops, this will be interesting.

2. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Depends on the state of USC by 2023 which is when this bill takes effect (we really don't know how the NCAA will compromise on this).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Usc_teeth likes this.
  3. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Sep 30, 2019
    No. Universities will not be paying athletes under this bill. This is about college athletes being able to profit off their likeness via the corporate sector in the same way that other students are, the same way professionals are.

4. TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    As it should be.

No institution should have the authority to tell someone they can't sell something that they are or belongs to them.

Nor should they be able to control what others want to give to them.

5. Usc_teeth

Usc_teeth Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Are you referring to me being triggered? I just saw some stupid discussion with Lebron, Diana Taurasi and other idiots who have no business in speaking politics, as well as retard Newsome.
    Anyways, didn’t know all the details so it’s good to hear that university isn’t paying. I’m fine with players banking off their names through an endorsement or autographs or whatever.

6. TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Yeah, as far as California laws go..this one is completely justified. The NCAA acts like it is the federal government and it's not. It should only exist to coordinate sports, protect players, and hold institutions accountable.

It has no business telling individual players what they can and cannot do financially.

Peete2Affholter and PickSicx like this.
  7. norcalsurfer

Sep 30, 2019
    CA won't be the last state to push a bill like this. CA is weird at times but this bill I have no issue with. Plus it's a f*ck you to the NCAA and nobody likes the NCAA (well except for Indiana).

Ride Fly likes this.
  8. Usc_teeth

Usc_teeth Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Exactly why I agreed with you. I wasn’t triggered. Newsome is still a retard and basically anything he touches turns to dog poop.

9. Usc_teeth

Usc_teeth Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Speaking of laws, why do we have a law on plastic bags, yet, they still have them if you want them...they just make you pay for them. Sounds like another way to make us pay for something that used to be free...AKA more taxes for us. This state is so pathetic. Can’t wait to retire elsewhere.

earlandnic likes this.
  10. CoachRoy

CoachRoy Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Ending amateur status will not go well with the NCAA and how would you like to be banned from that group! Governor Freesome can do whatever he wants, but paying athletes will never fly unless the NCAA is disbanded and then bidding wars start to get high school players! It will bankrupt colleges and the making a huge divide in schools!

ca4usc likes this.
  11. CoachRoy

CoachRoy Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Troken likes this.
  12. Usc_teeth

Usc_teeth Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Interesting info NorCal but a part of me thinks that these numbers are made up. Maybe not, but I feel there is probably some reason they say they aren’t profiting.

As for losing money, cut out chicks sports lol. Cut out half the men’s sports too. Keep the biggies like football, hoops, baseball, track and maybe some swimming or tennis...screw the rest.

13. Usc_teeth

Usc_teeth Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    How much sense does it make for a school like UCLA to fly a softball team to Florida for a softball game and 3 nights in a hotel.
    That trip would probably cost 50k when all is said and done. Just stupid and irresponsible. Happens at all schools multiple times a year. They don’t make a thing...even the home team loses money. Not enough people care to watch it, let alone pay to watch it.

14. norcalsurfer

Sep 30, 2019
    Title IX has a say in that.

Plus a lot of those programs are developing grounds for players trying to qualify for the World Cup and the Olympics. The patriot in me wants to beat Saudi Arabia or England 9-0 in a sport that the Arabs care more about than Americans do.

Besides at least the US National Women's soccer team wins something. Sure beats the US Men's losing to some country no one can point on a map.

sctrojan2006 likes this.
  15. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    This legislation is coming down the pike and will be nationwide by 2023. But while I agree that its fair for athletes to profit from the use of their names/images, etc., I see problems coming, including under the table bidding wars for recruits. The schools with the most enthusiastic boosters willing to offer large endorsement deals could have a big advantage over other schools in recruiting. And then there's free agency through the transfer portal. Are star players going to be courted by boosters to enter the transfer portal with offers of lucrative endorsement deals? Not sure how those situations would be handled and where USC's boosters stand in comparison to other schools in that regard. And of course, most three star and even many 4 star recruits will be left out in the cold as far as endorsements and such.

This could get interesting. College football may not be the same in a few years.

16. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    I don't care if every state passes the law, it is still an advantage for LA schools. Pro players come to Los Angeles for the added endorsement possibilities, certainly USC and UCLA would have an advantage. In the words of Bart Scott, "Can't wait!!!!"

nvargas likes this.
  17. VM805

VM805 Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Good riddance.

nvargas likes this.
  18. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    So easy even a caveman can do it. "Chick's sports"? At USC, the only profitable team is football. I don't know what makes you think that basketball football, track, swimming or tennis are "keepers". Other than tennis and water polo, men's sports at USC haven't exactly been dominating. In fact the majority of national championships at USC over the last several years have been won by the Women of Troy, not the chicks of rome.