Pac-12 players announce demands with #WeAreUnited

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Aug 2, 2020.

1. ForwardUntoDawn

ForwardUntoDawn Points Member

Aug 5, 2020
    I was one of those who fought for a long time for players getting compensated.

But this just rubs me the wrong way as it's trying to take advantage of the fact that we have a pandemic plus the actual social injustice fights.

I personally hope people start calling these players bluffs.

2. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Ain't capitalism and free enterprise a bitch? But let's take this one step further...your #1 should move to #2 and replaced with "the prospective athlete must be admitted to the university through normal admissions processes". If they are going to be employees, the least they ought to be able to do is read their job descriptions, right?

Merlin4SC and gubo&palanka like this.
  3. ForwardUntoDawn

ForwardUntoDawn Points Member

Aug 5, 2020
    I personally think it's wrong that this has not been done a long time ago.

I will agree with the social justice warriors that we have been exploiting young men for far too long. But not for the reasons that they think. I think it's time for all universities to start emphasizing the student-part of student-athlete. What we have been doing for decades is allowing athletes to pretend to be students for our own enjoyment.

And that is wrong IMO.

If you are a guy who grew up in a poor neighborhood. No one in your family has gone to college. And in reality you aren't the most intelligent person in the world. It's not fair that you are allowed to attend a school like USC on scholarship while there are people who actually worked hard in their academics have to get student loans and go into thousands of dollars of debt.

We as fans need to ask ourselves why we think this is okay. I would be all for pulling from the student body and doing away with the utterly ridiculous recruiting process.

The glory days of USC winning national championships are over. And anyone who thinks otherwise needs to step outside and look at the current generation in California. But there is no reason why we could not pull 70 students who are in good physical condition to play football because they want to get a scholarship.

If Navy and Army can do it then why can't other schools?

gubo&palanka and AMLTrojan like this.
  4. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Aug 5, 2020
    I'm going to see how this plays out before I jump to conclusions. The ringleader appears to be the ex-Ruin union guy Huna. This might be a reach and my lack of knowledge showing, but I'm not sure the players are all in with this. We'll see.

Merlin4SC and gubo&palanka like this.
  5. Rodgarnay51

Aug 5, 2020
    Me too.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  6. SC87

SC87 Points Member

Aug 6, 2020
    It seems like there has to be some controversy about just everything. Not possible to enjoy sports for the game. Everyone is aggrieved. I can understand some resentment against the greedy Boss Hogg-type ADs that get fat on the profits of NCAA sports. But these players should stand in line with the real students who leave college tens or hundreds of thousands in debt. College football players do get paid. Just not in the way they want. They don't value the opportunity for a free education that costs other students $$s. If they don't like it and feel exploited, they should do something else in life. Maybe put in an application at the local McDonald's where they would get paid.

7. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Aug 6, 2020
    I agree. You'll gain much more contentment watching golf trick shots on YouTube instead.

8. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Aug 6, 2020
    In all due respect, I don’t understand that kind of language. "Exploiting" needs an oppressor and those oppressed to fit the word usage. Where does that exist here? Are those kids being oppressed? Not in anyone's reasoning mind. None. Would you say athletes are exploiting the school using their athletic skills for a free education? No, doesn't fit there, either. So you then say "not for the reason they think." OK, actually curious what that reason might be. I don't see it--help me.

9. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 6, 2020
    Well, Clay is doing his best to bring this -- saying "good riddance" -- to fruition even before we split into a college game played by 2- and 3-star players, and an nfl developmental league with 4- and 5-star players.

We weren't going to win anything anyway, except for maybe the South or the occasional Pac-12 --which gets us embarrassed in a similar fashion to the Cotton Bowl against Ohio State.

Merlin4SC, Troy70 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  10. Rodgarnay51

Aug 6, 2020
    So much for the "student-athlete" ruse.

11. Rodgarnay51

Aug 6, 2020
    Never say never. Hope springs eternal for this Trojan fan.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  12. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Aug 6, 2020
    This is the part a lot of people seem to miss. The "market" value of a minor league football contract would be pretty small numbers. College also allows players to develop to have a shot at earning very large amounts at the next level.

I am all in favor of creating a minor league system that allows "any" football player coming out of high school to go there instead of college to get paid while developing to potentially land a job in the NFL. College football would do just fine and stay very competitive without them. The other benefit is the market would determine these players value very quickly.

gubo&palanka and IETrojanFan like this.
  13. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Something to consider is that, though the scholarship is "valued" at ~$70k a year, the actual "cost" is really far less. So, if a player can take a $55k salary from the XFL and also have them cover his education expenses at a community college or Phoenix University, that's a pretty good comparison: Do you want all expenses covered toward a premier college degree, or do you want $55k per year and you cover your own food and living expenses? Some players will undoubtedly find the latter more appealing.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  14. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Lets see what happens to young 18-19 QB'S like Slovis when he gets crushed by an ex NFL player or a 18 year Pittman comes across the middle and gets lit up by a grown man who got cut from the NFL. How about a young 18 yr old RB getting gang tackled or stuck in the chest by grown men because of a missed block. They'll have there careers ended all for chump change compared to what they would make when they go to college and receive training, coaching, meals, ect, and most importantly a college degree. These kids won't be ready physically or mentally to play at a Pro level. They will not have been prepared enough by HS to go up against players who are grown men who were cut from the NFL.

Rodgarnay51 and Troy70 like this.
  15. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Well, if football had a minor league system similar to baseball, there would probably be tiers corresponding to experience/talent level.

Some physical phenoms, like say, Adrian Peterson or Hershel Walker, could probably have played NFL football out of high school. Most aren't ready at that age, and would have played the equivalent of Double-A or Single-A level ball until they proved able to play at a higher level.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  16. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Aug 6, 2020
    I'd love for a college athletics administrator to speak on the economics of athletic scholarships/room/board/training vs. revenue opportunities from having a FB program. I'd love to hear what these "schollies" truly cost the school, other than opportunity-cost of having some other student pay full tuition.

Schools already have the dorm space, already have the class space, pay for food in bulk...is it really a ~$70k "cost" per student? I'd say no.

And again, if a program were losing money, and were saddled w/ absorbing this "$70k" per year/student, why would they bother? Why wouldn't they determine this is a losing proposition, they're in the business of education, not pissing money away on fball...right?

Could it be the actual mathematical, financial benefit far outweighs this supposed "cost of benefits" they have to endure? I wonder...

The value of a scholarship has remained pretty much static, the cost of room & board. The revenue being generated by programs however, has exploded exponentially. If a school can afford to pay a HC $2-5M, and AD $2M, Asst. Coaches another $1M+, then is that program really strapped? So if the revenue pot has exploded, why do fans think players should "shut up and be grateful" for their schollies? I think HC's should shut up and be grateful they can earn $1M for yelling at kids all day. I think AD's should shut up and be grateful they can make $2M+ for railroading their alma mater into the ground like Haden/Swann.

28thstreet likes this.
  17. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Aug 6, 2020
    I know that music :-)

18. Tod78

Tod78 Junior Member

Aug 6, 2020
    It’s a monopoly. The players that are the centerpiece of this multi-billion dollar industry are given a “take it or leave it” deal by the NCAA and member universities. You can say the deal is fair, but your opinion is not the same as testing the deal in an open market, or even negotiating.

I think 50% of the gross was asking way too much. But I’m not offended that they are pushing for a better deal than they got.

Peete2Affholter and nvargas like this.
  19. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 6, 2020
    There's only aprx 25-30 5* recruits each year and up to 300 4* recruits. After each NFL team builds there minor league team, they would only be able to draft from HS players. Seven rounds. That's not too many HS players getting drafted. If college's cut football, most kids won't have a place to play. Most likely only 4*& 5* recruits out of HS get drafted. In a couple of years, maybe less, the players will have caused for a huge amount of them to end their careers at HS before they have even peaked.