Pac-12 players announce demands with #WeAreUnited

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Aug 2, 2020.

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    King Larry & Clay are overpaid. A lot of teams are offering season ticket refunds so negative cash flow. What about SC? Football pays for all the other sports on campus. SC won’t use endowments. I would buy player jersey that paid player a %. CV will kill this season & any profits.

Troianus Acies likes this.
  3. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    I've always felt that the sports media types have an obvious conflict of interest in reporting on big time college athletics, especially ESPN in that it owns both the SEC and ACC networks and is a partner in others. So the take by their top college football writers is of interest...

Adam Rittenberg: Historic moment
    The organization of this push and the specificity in some demands underscore how this is a historic moment for college athletes advocating for themselves. These Pac-12 players are using a moment in which they and others have never had more leverage, as the sport tries to shoehorn in a football season amid a global pandemic. The key will be which demands or areas are prioritized over others.

For example, guaranteed medical coverage six years after eligibility expires is incredibly important and achievable. So are the items around name, image and likeness, and flexibility with transferring and returning to school depending on professional sports drafts. The Pac-12 already is the most progressive Power 5 conference, so the smart demands around racial justice also seem doable.

The 50-50 revenue split obviously will be the most contentious, especially when the players are asking for sports that are guaranteed financial losers to be restored. But it's clear a lot of thought and planning went into putting this together. It will be interesting to see if groups from other leagues will follow.
    -----------
    Bill Connelly: No more playing nice
    My main takeaway is that Kain Colter and Northwestern were playing nice. When they attempted to unionize in 2014-15, they followed the rules that existed for them and made what could only be described as reasonable demands -- long-term health care, assurances that their educational rights wouldn't be derailed by an injury, more reasonable transfer rules, more effective assistance in raising graduation rates, more expansive and realistic scholarship amounts, etc. They only indirectly even addressed name, image and likeness.

But the union got stomped down; they were treated as usurpers just looking for money, and 6½ years after their union attempt began, the only one of their demands that has been reasonably addressed is cost of attendance. The way the world tends to work, when a population that has been held back asks nicely and doesn't get anywhere, the people eventually come back in force. The Pac-12 players' list has a lot more force and, potentially, a larger number of players involved. The can can only be kicked down the road for so long.
    -------------
    Kyle Bonagura: Creating leverage through unity
    The idea that a full academic scholarship and the assorted add-ons that come with playing major Division I football qualifies as fair market value in 2020 is patently absurd. Not with the money these teams generate; not when coaches are often the most highly paid state employees. If Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott, whose tenure is widely mocked, deserves more than $5 million annually, there is no way to justify that the star athletes -- the ones who people actually pay to watch -- should be compensated peanuts in comparison. But Scott negotiated his ridiculous salary, so good for him. He used the leverage at his disposal to improve his own personal situation. Players haven't been able to use leverage in the same way for myriad reasons -- age, the short window they have in college, etc. -- but the Pac-12 players have shown, as a collective, they now understand the type of unified effort it will take to generate change. It's too early to say with any degree of certainty how this will play out, but just about everything outlined in their letter is long overdue.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29583451/pac-12-football-players-letter-most-important-takeaways-unprecedented-step

4. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    I find that statement patently absurd. The current world, even sports, seems upside down. Everyone appears to have a list of demands for themselves, kind of like a giant Kindergarten class. Anyone remember the famous line that started with "Ask not..."?

5. Trojan Forever

Trojan Forever Points Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Prayers go out to Ron Yary. Fight On!

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  6. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Aug 2, 2020
    jjg4sc, gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  7. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    I love the Oregon player - "We're not your entertainment, we're human beings." Without football being entertainment there are no scholarships.

8. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Then why is he playing the game in college... who put a gun to his head to go to Oregon for school and football? Not a bright kid... just caught up in the hyperbole that is sweeping through their culture. Would he have earned an opportunity to go to college for free with benefits if he didn't play football? From his attitude I doubt it.

gubo&palanka, DJ4SC, AlbertoC and 6 others like this.
  9. Tod78

Tod78 Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Uh, but without human beings there is no entertainment. Dismissing the humanity of mostly black players on the theory that the entertainment of the mostly white audience is more important sounds about 160 years behind the times.

Peete2Affholter and Buck Dancer like this.
  10. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    No offense heyrev, but JFK's statement should not be used in the context of colleges making millions off of college athletes, largely black student athletes, especially at at time when people view wearing a mask as an infringement on their rights. I see your point, but this is a time when people are truly looking at how we live and what we say we are and calling the question. The money has changed what college football was and it has tainted what was a fairer sports proposition.

11. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    What an idiot of a Coach. Just throwing gasoline on a smoldering match. None of the demands by this player group are things that a Coach has the authority to accept or not accept. It is up to the Athletic Directors and University Presidents. Now he's just given clear evidence to players, their families, and the media that the players have a point.

I suspect that very soon a couple of things will be the fallout of the actions by this coach... Players on the team will show solidarity with the dismissed players, the WSU AD will point out that this was not in the spirit of how WSU expects coaches to treat WSU student-athletes, Pac-12 AD will issue a statement saying they are studying the "ideas" suggested by these players, and other Pac-12 coaches will be keeping their collective mouths shut on the issue.

Tod78 likes this.
  12. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Gaslighting much? Not to mention the complete lack of nuance, perspective and context. Wow, what a bad post.

PickSicx, jjg4sc, AMLTrojan and 4 others like this.
  13. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    No offense taken.
    1. I used the statement to decry the prevailing American attitude I observe today, not merely college sports. Entitlement and envy is rampant everywhere--this issue is just another example to me. Focusing on what someone else is getting rather than what your receiving is too common, imo.
    2. I don't see what you see. Colleges don't "make millions off athletes" (black or white, doesn't make a difference to me)--I see it as CFB generating millions as a sport and entertainment. It's a win-win for all parties, and has risen the water level for many. For an endeavor that's enjoyable for the participants, affords them enormous economic value (scholarships), and done purely by free choice, where's the unfairness you allude to? Yes, they have a reasonable expectation for health and safety. But does it really require a boycott for that? Highly doubt it.

14. KeepCalm&FightOn

KeepCalm&FightOn Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    From Washington defensive back Elijah Molden:

"So I ask you all, please question your emotionally charged reaction to the news. Instead of reacting quickly, consider the entire situation…see both sides and remember that the situation isn’t binary."

Of all the groups giving out demands lately, I just don't understand why they get to be extreme and unrealistic, but then ask everyone else to show restraint and be reasonable. If the demands were realistic and reasonable from the get go, maybe they wouldn't be met with such push back or animosity. Why is it always so one sided?

On a different topic, I'll echo what others have said -- I really just miss sports. No kneeling, no slogans on jerseys, etc. Sports always brought us together. Now I just see it as another way of pulling us apart.

15. 28thstreet

28thstreet Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    This is long overdue. 75% of D-1 universities cannot exist without the revenue created by college football. Repeat that to yourself. Cannot exist. That the players want protection and that there is a debate about that is hilarious. The best thing about all of this is that college football is being exposed for the exploitive sport that it is. I hope more of these coaches and universitites retaliate against these guys. It will just speed up the death of college football. As soon as it effects the NFL, a "G-League" type of alternative to college will be available for these athletes and college football will go the way of college baseball, basketball, etc. These universities don't want to treat these guys fairly and safely, fine, they'll find an alternative -- the NFL needs talent and needs it to be cultivated and it will adapt.

16. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    That's my point. People watch major college football and pay money to do so for entertainment. For some people getting a scholarship and playing Division I football is the dream of a lifetime.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020