Pac-12 player group threatens to opt out, makes list of demands on injustice, safety

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by LaissezFaire28thStUSC, Aug 1, 2020.

1. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Odd. I did not think the 2020 season had been played yet.

2. Ricky Bell 42

Ricky Bell 42 Junior Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Wasn't pavilion $.75? Back to my point about the dork saying billions. Going on the high side, at 30000 paid seats, that comes out to about $12,500,000 in tickets sales

3. SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 5, 2020
    This thread almost makes me want to take a certain poster off ignore. The responses are hilarious and I can imagine the posts causing those responses.

4. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

LaissezFaire28thStUSC Junior Member

Aug 5, 2020
    If your kids have your level of logic, that won't bode well for their futures. But unless your kids have Communist Chinese Party leader money or Silicon Valley elite money, you'll be disappointed by today's admissions odds. But more to the point, I wasn't talking about my children. I was making a general statement. Try to follow this, if you can.

Conservative parents are wising up that many colleges have become Marxist, anti-American indoctrination factories, and have abandoned traditional academic standards. Many very intelligent and well information people (including some on this board) won't send their children to a liberal propaganda factory masquerading as colleges. As a result, those kids will go to school that educate and will network and feel as greater sense of loyalty to one another.

That type of loyalty used to be called the Trojan Family at USC. But Folt Gulag is trying to diminish that loyalty through a series of stunts chronicled on this board. But USC isn't alone. Too many colleges are doing the same thing. Many would rather admit foreign students who won't ask for scholarships and make demands. If they try to steal technology while they are at the school, liberal administrators will just try to sweep that under the rug to keep the money flowing.

5. aimeedee

aimeedee Points Member

Aug 6, 2020
    I guess you didn't get the memo. My kids do alright in spite of their "idiot" mother and "idiot" Illinois teachers, but I'm not supposed to speak up for them because, well, I'm me.

I don't have anywhere near elite money. I have had 3 kids accepted to USC in the last 10 years. Two graduated from USC and the third chose another great school. I have a fourth who will be applying in a few years and I am sufficiently concerned about his chances. He is just as great a candidate as the previous 3, but every year the window gets more narrow. So it is just fine with me if "wised up conservative" parents don't want to send their kids to USC -- less competition for my kid.

Oh spare me the drama. Major universities have been left leaning for a long time. Certainly, USC was generally more conservative when I attended. But, of the professors who made it known, most were liberal. I can think of three who were particularly pushy in liberalism and I wasn't afraid to push back, publicly. I also made a point of calling that out in my semester end reviews of them. I can also think of a few liberal professors that were pretty cool, including one with whom I am still in contact today. If you rear your kids with good values and confidence, you should trust them to pursue their dreams -- even if that means allowing them to attend the college of their choice that you may not like. It doesn't surprise me, given the bubble of confirmation bias that exists here, that many "wised up conservative parents" would choose a bubble of self-selection and like-mindedness for their kids.

But hey, if parents would rather send their kids to a school run by this guy, go for it:
    falwell.png

Notwithstanding the more charming characters on this board, I still have a strong loyalty for the Trojan Family. (Hence my disappointment in those who reduce fellow Trojans to mere entertainers.) And spare me your foreigner paranoia. USC was boasting that they had the most international students -- can't recall if that was sheer number or percentage -- when I was a freshman in the late eighties. This is nothing new. Louis Zamperini went to school with a Japanese national who would go on to be one of his captors when he was a POW in WWII. (I suppose USC hated 'Murca in the thirties and forties?) I'm not saying it is a great thing when we educate people who turn out to be our enemies. But the idea that welcoming international students is some new, cynical practice is absurd. And I don't believe we should throw the baby out with the bath water. International students contribute a great deal to the community.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  6. TheRealAirbns

TheRealAirbns Junior Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Hard to figure out what that miserable woman is even trying to say. Whether she thinks Liberty U is being excessive in its response, or whether the actions of that university's president indicate hypocrisy...

Frankly, at least they're holding the guy accountable, unlike USC, which gave its own disgraced President a lifetime seat on its board of trustees. These days, you couldn't pay me enough to send my child to USC, much less have me pay for it.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  7. August West

August West Points Member

Aug 7, 2020
    P12 Suits say fuck off to 50% revenue sharing.

Check.

Your move, ungrateful brats.

8. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

LaissezFaire28thStUSC Junior Member

Aug 7, 2020

SCBIGTIME and TheRealAirbns like this.
  9. TheRealAirbns

Aug 7, 2020
    Hey, she said it, who are we to argue? Her kids have an idiot mother and idiot Illinois teachers. Okey-dokey. It works.

Nice reply to the Karen, by the way, even if you haven't figured out how to use the quote function.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  10. aimeedee

aimeedee Points Member

Aug 8, 2020
    I'm just embracing the local vernacular. There have been multiple threads attacking Illinois and Illinois teachers. Congrats on being able to distinguish the rest of Illinois from Chicago. Judging from the comments on the board, the two are synonymous. No need to move to Indiana. Didn't you hear Notre Dame is in Illinois? ;-) https://wearesc.com/forum/index.php?threads/could-we-swap-illinois-for-western-canada-w-canada.70993/

I suppose that depends on how you define "liberal colleges." I'd say my kids have learned a lot of valuable information from what you would call "liberal colleges." If you want to encourage kids to boycott colleges that is fine.

As far as I know, on the row, that has always been the case and is true today -- or at least as recently as when my son was in a frat in 2014.

I attended USC a few years later and there were several more. I wasn't going to mention him by name because I am pretty sure he is dead and I know his family loved him. I hope he found peace before he met his maker. But, since you brought him up, I was a work-study student under Dr. Berg. He was, without a doubt, the most angry, miserable, abusive man I have ever encountered. His administrative assistant at the time was a very nice, very liberal woman, and she ended up suing the university over his abuse. I don't know what became of the lawsuit. I remember one day discussing Reagan and his impact on college students (to my peers in the office.) I was defending Reagan and he came out and publicly berated me as "selfish, spoiled" etc. He was literally yelling at me and then retreated to his office. Later, I quietly handed him a note asking for the opportunity to discuss the conversation, but he never responded nor apologized. Most everyone else in the Institute (including all students but one other girl) was liberal, but they were all nice to me. Anyway, he didn't scare me away. I stuck with the job throughout the year. Point being, USC has always had liberal professors, regardless of what you saw in the student body. And, yes, if you limited your interactions to the fraternities, of course you encountered conservative students and that hasn't changed.

Finally. That was the last straw after several embarrassing antics by the man over the years. https://thebulwark.com/jerry-falwells-zipper-has-been-down-for-years/

Tyndall was held accountable. It certainly was past due, but he was held accountable. And, unlike Falwell's public spectacles, Tyndall's crimes weren't publicly known. What Heisman Trophy winning AD are you referencing? Mike Garret? Because I don't know of another one. I agree with you about Dean Ellis (as does the "cool" liberal professor with whom I keep in touch. He is good friends with Ellis and was very upset by the move. Imagine that, colleagues that can not only respect each other but be friends, despite political differences!) My son, a Marshall grad, was also outraged. We had the opportunity to meet Dean Ellis at a Marshall reception for a ND weekender in Chicago. We were very impressed with the fact that be seemed to really know our son -- recalling specific anecdotes about him. What happened to Ellis was, indeed, wrong.

And if that is how they want to limit their kids, that is fine. Personally, I think cutting off your kids from more than half the opportunities out there is short-sighted. I know a couple who literally drew a circle, with a 200 mile radius from their home, on a map and told their daughter she could go anywhere inside the circle. I would never limit my kids' opportunities like that. But to each his own.
    LOL! You can project all you want, but USC has become one of the most desirable institutions in the country. So again, by all means, encourage your conservative pals to keep their kids away from USC -- that makes it easier for my kid to attend.

Meanwhile, from the Falwell article I linked above:

In fact, since 2015 (the year Falwell became nationally famous for his support of Trump and a comment about shooting Muslims), freshman applications to Liberty have dropped by a whopping 60 percent. Transfer applications have declined too, by 30 percent. If you’re following the math, this means that higher enrollment reflects higher acceptance rates, not some kind of Falwell-induced higher interest in Liberty University.

Huh. I guess someone should tell Silicon Valley, then. When my daughter was recruited by one of the major tech companies, she was told that they only recruit from 3 schools and two of those are USC (meaning Viterbi and SCA.) Again, I don't know who you're talking to, but my kids and their USC friends are all doing great. Feel free to take your ball and go. That is what choice and the free market are all about.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  11. TheRealAirbns

Aug 8, 2020
    Umm... how would she know? She's had most of us on ignore for the past three plus years.

Huh, because about fifteen or twenty years, ago, Google announced it was changing its hiring policies. Until then, it had hired from top five schools, but it was discontinuing that practice, because it found it was getting candidates with too many undesirable characteristics. Google wasn't the only Silicon Valley company to reach that conclusion.

Furthermore, USC is not even particularly thought of in Silicon Valley, which has Stanford and Cal nearby, both with far better computer science departments. It seems highly unlikely *any* Silicon Valley tech company would recruit nearly exclusively from USC. This claim is almost certainly a lie, or at the very least, an exaggeration, like so many other things the Karen says.

No, his description of the student body in 1981 is accurate. USC was a center right place, throughout the student body. What kind of dingbat would assume that the student body ten years before her, was the same as it was when she was there? That's just sloppy thinking.

As we've discussed several times, here on the board Karen doesn't actually read (allegedly), the decline started with Zumberge, who began his tenure in 1980. By the time she attended, almost ten years later, the change was well underway.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    SCBIGTIME likes this.
  12. SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 8, 2020
    Maybe. But USC was still definitely not a liberal school in 1990.
    Annenberg certainly was, and the "social science" areas were...but overall, USC was still very much a conservative leaning school in 1990.