Pac-12 conference to part ways with commissioner Larry Scott

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 21, 2021
    Larry Scott's legacy
    1. He's Lazy
    2. Undersold his product
    3. Horrible negotiator
    4. Lacked ambition
    5. Lacked vision
    6. No drive
    7. No balls to stand up to anyone.
    8. Weak minded
    9. No problem solving skills
    10. Empty suit.

He single handedly turned one the greatest conference's in the NCAA into a middle of the pack organization. Before Larry it was the SEC and Pac 12 neck and neck in football.

Now the
    SEC
    ACC
    BIG 12
    Big 10
    AAC
    Have passed them up in football. I have the Pac 12 7th in strength of conference in football. Hell even the Sunbelt League is catching up. The Louisiana Ragin Cajuns and Coastal Carolina would probably win 8 games in the Pac 12. The AAC champions Cincinnati would have won the Pac 12 in 2020 and gone undefeated. Tulsa probably finishes third.

2. dp4life

dp4life Points Member

Jan 21, 2021
    Only if they are also deaf and blind..........

TrojanMafia, usc1011 and gubo&palanka like this.
  3. ClovisTroy

ClovisTroy Junior Member

Jan 21, 2021
    Right.

I'm good with a two weeks notice.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  4. TrojanHoss

TrojanHoss Junior Member

Jan 21, 2021
    I love this line from Stewart Mandel's Athletic article today:

At first, Scott became a convenient scapegoat for a conference that just hasn’t been very good at football over the past five years. It’s not the commissioner’s fault USC keeps bringing back overmatched head coach Clay Helton.

Mandel is consistent in his evaluation of Clay Helton - it matches what nearly all of us know. He's been clear in all of his writing, and for a long time, that Helton is overmatched at every turn. He nearly always predicts that we will lose the games on the biggest stage, even when others such as Feldman think we just might beat a powerhouse like Oregon or Iowa. No, Mandel has been very public for a long time about CCH.

I would argue, however, that Good Buddy Larry is a big part of why we have Helton in the first place. It's not a well-kept secret that a large part of his mandate at the time of his hire was to "keep USC in their place." While most conference commissioners famously champion their showcase programs, not Little King Larry. In fact, just the opposite. No help with the NZAA. Play on a Thursday in Pullman or Corvallis five days after a Pac-12 After Dark in Tucson? No problem. Officiating crews that specialize in 15 yard penalties just because? What a bonanza. Bonus points for a disqualification for targeting. (I'm looking at you, Jay Stricherz aka "Glasses Ref.)

And, I will always believe that there has been subtle and not so subtle pressure on his part for us to keep Clay. The last thing Little King Larry wanted from us was a powerhouse coach like Urban Meyer, someone who would challenge his incompetence and demand change. Between that and Folt's leadership, we continue to be stuck in the mire with Helton.

With this doofus gone, perhaps we are a step closer to becoming USC Football again.

5. Cardinal&Gold

Jan 21, 2021
    Cupace20210121121042.png

6. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

Jan 21, 2021
    With Gene Smith's ties/relationship with Urban Meyer, I don't think you would get Folt to buy into him.

7. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Jan 21, 2021
    Sending a black armband for CC

8. Cardinal&Gold

Jan 21, 2021
    Cupace20210121141539.png

9. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Jan 21, 2021
    The PAC 12 network has seven channels, but I guess I was lucky just to get the local one.

While a potentially high profile PAC 12 football or basketball game was on live, we were treated locally to a game that was played last week, or last year, or 10 years ago on our local channel.

While the PAC 12 basketball tournament was playing semi final or quarter final games live that featured any of the 10 non-local teams, we could not see them. Instead we get a game from 2015. What a freakin joke of a network!
    I hope this ass's replacement can get us a live feed of ALL live relevant PAC 12 games on all seven networks, instead of the 2006 volleyball championship.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  10. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Jan 21, 2021
    There's an expression in the Film and TV industry that "Content is King". There's a corollary to that. Content is worthless without distribution. Larry Scott's strategy to retain 100% of the equity in the PAC 12 Network seemed like the right thing to do, but it ended up so off the mark. The SEC sold equity in the SEC Network to ESPN who now pimps the SEC religiously. Meanwhile, PAC 12 Network couldn't even get a deal done with DISH and never really got a national footprint. Scott had the Conference playing important games starting at 8:00 PM PST (11:00 PM EST), which meant most people on the East Coast were already in bed. The result is that the PAC 12 Network and the Conference were basically relegated to regional distribution of their content, much like a G5 school. It was a disasterous result that the PAC 12 will face extreme challenges recovering from.

The best hope for the PAC 12 is to sell equity interest in the PAC 12 Network and to push for an expanded 8 team CFP Playoff with guaranteed slots for the five P5 Conference champions, plus 3 at large P5 teams. Give the G5 their own separate 8 team Playoff and money commensurate with their viewership.

11. TrojanMafia

TrojanMafia Points Member

Jan 21, 2021
    Conquest4eva

LoyalTrojan likes this.
  12. ForwardUntoDawn

ForwardUntoDawn Points Member

Jan 21, 2021
    I don't see the purpose in an 8 team playoff unless there is a huge change in parity in college football.

No one even belonged in the playoff this year except for Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson. Even then, the gap between Alabama and #2 Ohio State was almost hilariously high.

Notre Dame at #4 had no business calling themselves a playoff team. Adding more teams would do nothing but kill the bowl games and produce more blowout wins for the #1-3 teams.

13. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jan 22, 2021
    I still believe in an 8-team playoff, Alabama's brilliance notwithstanding. However, I believe that the 8 teams that get in need to be allowed to get there based on winning the games they need to (i.e. winning their conferences) and not still be the beauty pageant it is today. Notre Dame getting in over say, Texas A&M was a travesty. The voters simply liked the Irish better, and I think that's BS.

As far as Larry Scott getting jettisoned like an unwanted passenger in James Bond's Aston-Martin, Thank God!

However, I've heard Rick Neuheisel's name getting tossed around... [shudder]

14. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 22, 2021
    This is REALLY good news, and its importance cannot be overstated. IMO he did more damage to USC football than Haden, Swann, Sark and Helton put together. The Pac-12 needs to get someone in there who will recognize and promote the USC brand before it's too late. By tearing down USC he has succeeded in tearing down the whole conference.

Question on Scott - is he corrupt, agenda-driven, stupid or all of the above?

15. Rodgarnay51

Jan 22, 2021
    That's true. They put up with his incompetence for 11 years, which not-so-coincidentally is roughly the same time period that USC football has been stuck in mediocrity. His parity thing backfired in a big way.

16. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Jan 22, 2021
    Who's Eva? A girl who dumped T-mafia boy when she saw him naked in his mommy's basement typing away? He shouldn't worry. I'd never be interested in his sloppy seconds.
    you-still-live-e2dvxr(1).jpg
    TrojanMafia perusing beastiality sites.

17. TrojanMafia

TrojanMafia Points Member

Jan 22, 2021
    Caitlyn Jenner is that you!?

18. Rodgarnay51

Jan 22, 2021
    You forgot corrupt, PC and agenda-driven.

19. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Jan 23, 2021
    I hope the next person focuses on the Football refs. Those refs are part of the reason our conference plays soft football. The PAC 12 refs suck.

20. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Jan 23, 2021
    I just have a picture in my mind of Scott dropping a grenade and walking away - he blew up the conference. Pac12 is a MESS because of him and especially because of his stupid P12 network that no one can or will watch. Bad game schedules and so much more.