OT: WTF Andrea Gaston leaves USC

Discussion in 'Trojan Huddle' started by Scalum76, Jul 10, 2018.

1. OT: WTF Andrea Gaston leaves USC
    Scalum76

Scalum76 Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    for Texas A & M after 22 years. No explanation on USC Trojans website, does anyone know why? she was an awesome woman I’ve met her several times and I will miss her as well as her Student athletes.

2. desertfoxx

desertfoxx Member

Jul 10, 2018
    That is a surprise.. not close to the program at all but my guess is she got an offer we would not match ..
    The University has to understand in the world of athletics it is not 1980 any longer
    You just should not lose a coach with a National Championship pedigree
    I wish Andrea nothing but the best at A & M

3. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Thought she had a serious medical problem but still worked. When SC promoted the former women assistant to HC I assumed she had medical relapse. How does A&M have so much $$$ to spend on athletics?

4. VM805

VM805 Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Maybe she wants to retire eventually with more of her hard earned money...??? California is probably one of the worst states to retire in from a financial standpoint.

Alfa1 likes this.
  5. BehindSunset

BehindSunset Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    $EC. But not to worry, we have the Pac 12 Network, so...

6. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    • It's a very exciting opportunity for me, I had a lot of success at USC and I'm very proud of that. This is my opportunity to bring my knowledge and skills and bring a powerhouse to Texas A&M.
    • A lot of things brought me to A&M. Leaving after 22 years is definitely not easy but Scott Woodward did a great job recruiting me. He is great at what he does. Their core values were in line with mine and that was important. I'm very proud of my career, but I have had a chance to think about things the last few years and A&M seemed like the right place to be.
    Just a couple of her comments. Think of it this way....it's giving Silverstein an opportunity if they give him a shot.

7. oldtrojan93

oldtrojan93 Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Oil $$$

8. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Think you nailed it, planning retirement. Guy I know couldn’t talk his son to come back to Cali to practice with him. His boy said he had in Texas a house 4x the size of his daddy’s home in San Clemente.

9. Damien

Damien Points Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Went from a 1000 sq ft condo in HB to a brand new 3600 sq ft housr with pool in AZ. Not close to retirement but planning for it. Easy drive to Tempe or Tucson when SC comes to the state. It is like Palm Desert with jobs out here.

VM805 likes this.
  10. Lunderful

Lunderful Junior Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Silverstein is a lazy hire, typical Swann, think Mark Trakh. Looks like a "Who cares?" hire.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  11. MediaCapital

MediaCapital Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Perhaps Gaston’s success became too exhausting to keep repeating. It’s hard to imagine 13 straight years of Top 5 finishes. In a situation like Kentucky or Duke in basketball, in the past few years, her players have done so well that they’ve left early after qualifying. Can you imagine having your top 2 players leave for the pros in the middle of the season? Like having Sam Darnold and Ronald Jones unexpectedly leave in October without having backups.

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/uscs-gaston-leaves-become-head-coach-am/
    https://www.golfdigest.com/story/andrea-gaston-leaving-usc-womens-golf-program-after-22-years-3-ncaa-titles-to-coach-at-texas-aandm

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  12. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Lighten up Sunshine, I didn't say he had been hired, only that there's a job opening if Lynn goes that way.
    She's beaten uterine cancer....so far....I don't think she's exhausted. In fact, I think she's invigorated, putting more money in her pocket, has an AD who VALUES her, and the opportunity to put her name down at 2 different schools. Isn't that what successful coaches do?

I find it interesting that folks are so shocked about this....expecting her to stay put or be loyal or that somehow USC is THE place to be for everyone for the long haul. It isn't. PC moved on....Saban moved on...Meyer moved on....Eauxgeron moved on....Gillispie moved on....Riley moved on....successful coaches do that!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Troy70, Alfa1 and CrownoftheValley like this.
  13. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jul 11, 2018
    What do you do in the hot months? hot is not just June-Sept as well.....Curious....

14. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Well, he did go that way. And maybe he is the best person for the job. But it does not seem like any search was done at all. But then again, we don't know for how long the Andrea move has been known.

15. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Hadn't seen the hire, thanks for the update. I do think it's a lazy hire by Swann because it was probably one of THE top jobs open in the country.

Curious though....why would you think she would want to get back to having a team where the players stay, and relationships are developed? Is that Saban or PC wanted? Or did they want to WIN, regardless of location?
    College Station isn't as bad as the Southeast in that regard.
    https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate-on-your-site.php?id=ustx2165
    I agree with you.

16. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jul 11, 2018
    You're kidding, right?

17. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jul 11, 2018
    It is my myopic opinion that A&M is not and never should be an SEC school.

18. Damien

Damien Points Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Sit in the pool and go on vacations like everyone else. It is hot everywhere during those months. I would still rather have 110 and low humidity than 90+ with humidity. 3rd gen CA and used to go to Havasu or Palm Desert when it was June gloom at the beach. Dont miss CA at all and can drive or fly if I do. Was just in Italy, France and Spain and it was hot and humid there, wife and I are glad to be home.

19. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Jul 11, 2018
    So something about “SouthEAST” that bothers you too, huh?