OT: World Cup

Discussion in 'Trojan Huddle' started by Boselli, Jun 21, 2018.

1. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    All-male crowds in bars with groping and beer tossing is going to catch on? Bars in America depend on female customers.

I never have hated soccer. I've been a soccer mom for longer than you've decided soccer was a great sport. Sure, there are new fans but in America, the NFL, the NBA, and MLB are king. Elite athletes who don't flop around like babies are what Americans like to watch for the most part.

It's like when you are about to purchase a new car and zero in on a particular make and model. It seems that all of a sudden everyone is driving that car. It's human nature to want to feel like your choices were good ones that others also aspire to. That said, you are likely in the minority because Lizelle's tweets from court during a football trial were more compelling and got more attention than this thread. Fox is in way more homes than Telemundo but Telemundo crushed Fox in terms of viewers.

It's the off-season so most folks are probably spending less time here.

Another issue with soccer is that the World Cup is only every 4 years, whereas the Super Bowl, CWS, College Football Championship, World Series are every year. I just don't believe that droves of Americans are going to give up watching those things to watch Premier League waiting for 2022. And even then, World Cup lasts for a month! Maybe Euros and Latin/South Americans can manage to take a month off from work, sit in front of a huge TV downtown, and watch/drink all day but that's not how things happen here. But you never know....the Irish bar down the street from me was packed at 7AM for Mexico/Brazil.

2. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    The World Cup is like Olympic Women’s gymnastics here. Every four years people go nuts over it and then it’s meh. Soccer as a sport is gay. World Cup as an event can be compelling at times; but mostly gay. The thread would have zero play if it were during the CFB season.

3. bell

bell Active Member

Jul 8, 2018
    LET THE NAYSAYERS HAVE THEIR SAY, BUT I CAN ASSURE YOU...

...history will pass them by. Let them keep ignoring all the indices that are pointing higher and higher. Those under 30 years would think soccer has always been around while those who are over can see the difference between then and now - more fields in parks, more schools fielding teams, more kids thinking it's in to know the stars and the big clubs, more kids opting for and sticking with it, more college scholarships, more live coverage of college final fours, more college scholarships, more cities pleading for pro franchises, more franchises having soccer specific stadiums. more soccer-themed TV commercials, more media coverage, increasing professional salaries, increasing attendance, greater TV contracts, more non-soccer personalities (Magic Johnson, LeBron J, Garciaparra, etc) investing their moneys in soccer (they must know something), more, more, more - it's like night and day.

I'm amused by those who say they'll never adopt soccer because players feign injury (a bad habit for sure when it occurs) but it's like people saying they hate football because players pile on long after the play is over. Or that big defensive guys roll on the ground to prevent the offense from running a play. Or that it takes the ref 5 minutes to throw his flag, consult with his buddies, announce the infraction, and finally spot the ball. Or that it has too many stops. Or that only a few players on offense or defense get to actually touch the ball. Or that teams steal signals.

Come 2026 when the US is WC host, I predict soccer would be on a different level and by then all today's naysayers (already decreasing by the year) would look back and say why did we choose to be blind? Remember Jim Rome, the TV host who made a career out of hating and predicting the demise of soccer? Looks like soccer has outlived him.

4. KeenObserver

Jul 8, 2018
    Gay post

5. BlueBlood

BlueBlood Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    I've been a massive WC fan since 1990. Played soccer in hs and used to work overseas. But for me, the WC and Euro Cup are about as far as I go. I don't even have a favorite MLS side.

Come on England!

The Lizard King likes this.
  6. Globe

Globe Junior Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Nice!. Is it still 1970 in your world?

7. BvB09

BvB09 Junior Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Well, here's a big one where he's 6, and KDB is 4. You can bet that will change after the WC. Anyone that doesn't think he's top five or shouldn't be knocking on the door didn't play much soccer.

agreed

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  8. Sam Bam

Sam Bam Junior Member

Jul 9, 2018
    KDB has been under rated for awhile, at least in terms of media attention. This year though he really was the driver of Man City and their stellar EPL campaign. I would give him the nod over Modric because I think he is more likely to put the ball in the net in addition to being one of the best through ball passers in the world. Also, he is more likely to attack between the lines with a dribble if there is not a pass option.

Modric though has lived up to his promise here and was a reason I picked Croatia to get to the semi's.

9. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Seriously? If players pile on, they get flagged. What game are you watching?

5 minutes to throw his flag? At the most, 5 seconds.

If a defensive player pretends to be hurt, he's pulled from the game. If he does it repeatedly, he's flagged for it.

Too many stops? As in "plays"? Yeah, the game stops after every play. Its called football.

Teams steal signals. Its the game. I've never heard anyone complain about that.

Your complaints are completely empty and without merit.

10. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Football could learn a lot from soccer. Soccer games are about 2 hrs with constant movement. College football runs about 120 plays per game. Thats in 3600 secs. One play every 30 secs, and plays last about 5-7 secs. Throw in TV commercials and you get a near 4 hr game time with approximately 840 secs of action or about 14 mins of actual game surrounded by about 190 minutes of sitting around.

bell and BvB09 like this.
  11. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Lots of standing around and jogging in between sprints IMO.

bell likes this.
  12. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018

Ok, I am old, but I get soccer. Its a chess game at high speed. They pass the ball, pass it again and again, till finally they get an overlap or weakness and then try to exploit it. That doesn’t happen often but thats how you score.

Valuable skills: Accurate passing, catching the ball cleanly on your foot with no bobbling, jumping ability to head the ball, kicking the ball with alternative english on goal, dribbling at high speed; pitch sense , meaning knowing where your teammates are at all times; being where you are supposed to be at all times.

Endless flopping hurts the game and should be handled with fines and penalties till wrung out of the game forever but the game itself fun to watch. The USC/ Colorado football game was a snoozefest. Football has become boring because its too long. And pretty much most USC alums agree with me because they don’t attend games, and “ the vibrant LA entertainment scene” draws USC alums to the beach, (in November), or golf ( you got 46 other Saturdays to play those shit SoCal courses, plus Sunday afternoons and even saturday mornings for a USC night game), or Temecula wineries(zzzzz), or museums ( who the hell would go to a museum on a Saturday afternoon during football season?) and given that there are 52 Saturdays in a year, football in person is so boring 80% of USC alums make sure to schedule themselves anywhere doing anything for just 6 Saturdays than at the USC game that day.

So spare me the BS that football is better. It isnt or the Coli would be sold out for the spring game and every season game and folks would travel in droves to Pullman or Salt Lake City.

Cyrus and bell like this.
  13. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jul 10, 2018
    The amount of money that will be spent, generated, what have you when 2026 WC arrives in North America will boggle the mind.....well, that's if the USofA have not completely shut down it's borders to foreigners, but that's another topic....

For that 1 month, the US will be the central focus of the whole world, every country will be tuning in, and maybe some of you guys will finally understand by then...but then again, probably not....

I didn't think France and Belgium were going to win but they did. I got England and Croatia correct...

France over Belgium
    England over Croatia

England wins it all.....

bell likes this.
  14. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    You know I agree that most of the excuses for not going to USC games are lame. However, football is still better because I would never even consider going to an MLS game. And given the choice to either watch USC on TV from the comfort of my home or watching a World Cup game, it's USC all day. I'd probably pick USC water polo over pro soccer.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  15. KeenObserver

Jul 10, 2018
    Only my wardrobe

16. bell

bell Active Member

Jul 10, 2018
    YOU KNOW, AS THEY SAY...

...to each her/his own.

17. bell

bell Active Member

Jul 10, 2018
    AS FOR ME...

...I have France over England, Caution: I've been wrong before in this tournament.

18. BlueBlood

BlueBlood Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    My 3 Lions will handle France. This is our year!

19. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jul 11, 2018
    England needs to handle Croatia first...

What an accomplishment...a country of 4 million people on the cusp of a WC Final....

And they were in a brutal war just a generation ago....

20. BlueBlood

BlueBlood Junior Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Told you guys!!!!!!!!!