OT: World Cup

Discussion in 'Trojan Huddle' started by Boselli, Jun 21, 2018.

1. HelixTrojan

HelixTrojan Junior Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Belgium wins . . . Brazil is out.

The top three players in the world - Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar - are now watching at home.

It speaks to how well the overall team has to play match by match.

Very good game by Belgium - the goalkeeper, Lukaku and Hazard, in particular.

But Brazil had its chances late . . . and uncharacteristically didn't convert on some point blank chances late.

These World Cup parties in the winning countries are unbelievable.

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 6, 2018
    I disagree. I live in one of the largest soccer regions in the country and in just 2 years (for girls, the boys have been at it for longer), the changes have been quite significant. ESL and ECNL levels have been largely gutted, high school teams are struggling to get enough players, every tournament in the last year has had Academy teams in the mix, several long-term clubs have folded in to other clubs to give birth to an Academy level, college recruiters have started to attend Academy-level bracket games as opposed to ECNL.

Pretty sure I agreed with you that good (marquee) players leave and that other players would follow. Parents often do have difficulty seeing their child realistically although I think the coaching can quite often leave a lot to be desired. I've seen some kids on the bench, not mine, and thought WTF? THAT kid should be on the field. American sports also suffers from favoritism which I don't think happens elsewhere around the world. They want to win....period.

The amount of coaches from Europe has exploded. They are tougher, expect more, communicate differently. That will take some getting used to, especially on the girl's side where some parents still think their ass should be kissed.

BvB09 likes this.
  3. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Just to illustrate a previous point: why do American's hate soccer?

Neymar, the great and glorious football god that he is, made an utter fool of himself throughout the tournament. His flop-and-roll schtick that he performed to perfection last week was topped today with a phantom foul that sent him flying. In OBVIOUS agony, he couldn't believe that the ref wouldn't give them a penalty kick for clearly having been fouled. THEN, when the ref signaled that he was going to take a look at it on video replay, suddenly Neymar was up and healthy. Nothing to see here, ref. He knew that he hadn't been touched. If the ref reviewed it, he could have been carded.

THAT in a nutshell is why soccer is a joke and why American's will never embrace it.

The Pink Panties Award of the day goes to Neymar.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  4. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Goodbye South America. Only 6 European teams left.

5. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Do South American teams do well in the World Cup held on European soil? Not from my memory, they don't.

6. BvB09

BvB09 Junior Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Well, all regions are different. I can see where that might be the case, but I was referring to significant improvement in the level of play. I think it will take years to see that play out.

I played for many years. High school, college and some adult league ball. I graduated from HS in 1980, so things have changed quite a bit since then. In those days, 77-80, a lot of high schools didn't have teams. We struggled to find enough players. We did have a foreign coach and some pretty good players.

The photo is from 1978 I believe on my Germantown team. The big guy standing next to our coach is Joachim Leisenheimer, a German kid with a shot like Thor. We had a Mexican winger (bottom row, last on the right) that could really play. I'm third from the right on the bottom row in the middle. Gary Leventhal was the coach. Excellent football guy that coached Germantown to several state championships. Got in trouble while coaching the girls team, which included National Team star Cindy Parlow. We had a powerhouse program in those days. The women were ranked #1 in the country several times.

[​IMG]

7. BvB09

BvB09 Junior Member

Jul 7, 2018
    The flopping is out of control. It seems like a more recent development, as I don't ever remember seeing anyone do that when I was playing. Someone on our own team would have kicked your ass if you'd pulled that stunt.

8. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Now that I can agree with. Structure and process has changed but talent still lags. I do think the draw of other sports and making more money tends to keep more talented athletes from sticking with soccer.

There is no lack of players in CA...even 30 years ago, we have a ridiculous amount of kids who want to play...at least for a few years.

9. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Three Lions on to the semis with a real chance at going to the finals. May be it wasn’t so bad after all flopping in that Belgium game...

10. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Jul 7, 2018
    The Three Lions has always been my team, excluding the US of course. It started for me in 1986 and suffering through the "Hand of God," the great run of Italia 1990 with Gaza and Lineker, and the 2006 loss in penalty kicks to Portugal.

I was but a toddler the last time they won it all at home. I hope that they can finally do it this time.

11. BvB09

BvB09 Junior Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I think a French-English final would be epic.

12. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Jul 7, 2018
    A sentimental favorite of sorts for me, since I have some relatives & acquaintances there. Really like the new bloods on the team with Kane, Maguire, Alli, Stones, etc. France-England final would be truly epic.

13. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 7, 2018
    In consideration of some fan reaction....there are things I noticed that once again, highlight the differences between American soccer fans and others around the world.

Here is Ian Wright and Kelly Smith in the studio celebrating England's first goal....
    https://twitter.com/IanWright0/status/1015617257756614657

Hellllllooooo......#MeToo....no way that American announcers can celebrate this way.

More celebrations....
    https://twitter.com/HQSportsBar1/status/1015605541618503681
    https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1015607680713547777
    https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1015625936006500353

All men....no women....visible groping. This isn't going to catch on in America.

14. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Jul 7, 2018
    And taking perfectly good beer and tossing it up into the air to shower the rest of the crowd. Not just one person does this, but pretty much everyone does.

Nice. Getting into your car in sticky beer clothes. Sticky beer hair. Sticky beer shoes.

15. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    I normally like to see a country that has never won before to win the WC, but this time I hope to see a France-England final as that is probably the best matchup. Also with all the major superstars (Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar) out, this game would feature two of new stars from this tournament (Harry Kane & Kylian Mbappe). But the French better not take Belgium and Romelu Lukaku lightly. Same with English vs Croatia and Luca Modric.

16. BvB09

BvB09 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    The bar scenes are heavy with men, but you'll see quite a few women at the actual matches. I think another reason why soccer is more popular outside of America is the community factor. The cultural identity of many smaller towns and cities is inexorably linked to their soccer team, and this goes back 100 years. St. Pauli is a good example of this. So are Rangers and Celtic in the Scottish league. These are deep, deep ties, somewhat analogous to what you see in American college football.

17. BvB09

BvB09 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Modric and De Bruyne are two of the top five players in the world. I'd argue both are better all-around players than Ronaldo and Messi and more critical to the success of their clubs.

18. HelixTrojan

HelixTrojan Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Eeesssshhhh . . . always a debatable topic.

Few, if any lists will have Modric in the top 5, although KDB is the closest and is a rising superstar.

And the different positions they play make for different skill sets.

I'd agree that they are among the most valuable to their national teams in this Cup.

But Messi and Ronaldo are counted on exclusively by their national teams - probably too much. If they are not in the middle of the action, their teams don't win. Consequently entire defensive strategies are focused upon them because of their skills.

Also, the national teams that Modric and KDB play for are just better all around right now than the national teams that Ronaldo and Messi play on.

19. CCTrojans

CCTrojans Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    I think anyone who believes this is just burying their head in the sand. I used to hate soccer, but I watched the 2010 world cup and it changed my mind. Now it's my favorite sport. There are others like me, and its not ridiculed by young people like it used to be.

I think it's gradually increasing in popularity here. When I'm sitting in court instead of talking football we talk Premier League now. But maybe I'm just imagining the changes.

All I know for sure is I've been spending way less time on WeAreSC and more on ThisIsAnfield.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  20. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jul 8, 2018
    I didn't know Russia had leaf blowers.