OT: World Cup

Discussion in 'Trojan Huddle' started by Boselli, Jun 21, 2018.

1. OT: World Cup
    Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

Jun 21, 2018
    I am still struggling to understand offside in soccer but then I have never figured out what offside is in Ice Hockey.
    But
    It is fun to watch. It is almost unbelievable how those guys can control the ball with their frigging feet. Except when the goal keeper shows he can't.
    And then while I am getting used to sportsmanship in this game Vontaze Burifict kicks the ball right into the dudes head when he is down.

Thinking

Pehaps more like Juan Marichal and Johnny Roseburrough.

Anyway I am enjoying most of it and understanding more each game. It is a good time to watch and learn futball (the original)

2. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jun 21, 2018
    I’m far, far from a soccer guy, but offsides is when an offensive player is behind the last defender when a pass to him is initiated.

Which, IMO, should be legal. If the defense lets you behind them, then they should pay the price. It would put some more scoring into the game.

Like I mentioned, I’m hardly a soccer guy, so my opinion means squat, LOL.

3. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    I think that would slow down the scoring, since it likely forces every team to keep a couple guys back all the time and there will be less guys on the attack. Basically would force teams to devise an 8-man attacking scheme for an 8 vs. 10 disadvantage, and eliminate fast breaks altogether.

4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    More specifically, when the ball is struck. The pass doesn't have to be to that player. If the player isn't involved in the resulting play or the other team regains possession, it may not even be called.

Defense "lets you"? Short of tackling, what is a defender to do to keep another player in front?

5. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jun 22, 2018
    It's one of the subtle skills in soccer....knowing when to go forward/make an attacking pass without getting called for offsides....

Spain had a couple of tiny midfielders (David Villa was one, played for Galaxy recently) that they used sort of like quarterbacks/pg's, that were awesome in that role. Got them a World Cup, Euro titles....

Truth be told, I've been getting up early to catch the 5am game, before heading off to work....then I would go to a small Mexican restaurant next door from work at 11am to catch the 1st half of the last game......I guess I can livestream while at work to catch the 8am game, but I better not push my luck....LOL....

6. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Well, one of the “trick” is when a last defender sees a guy even with him, to step up so that the opponent is offsides PRIOR to a pass being made. So in a way, he is “letting you” behind him to cause an offsides. A nuance of the game with the current rules. And disastrous if the player doesn’t time it right.

7. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    So did anyone watch that game? Argentina vs Croatia?

orangetrojan likes this.
  8. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Jun 22, 2018
    To me the stupidest thing about soccer--and there are so many--is that they keep the clock running during injuries, etc., then make a wild guess at the end of the game about how much time to add to the clock. It wouldn't occur to them to just stop the clock, would it?

And how about more yellow cards for obvious flopping? Or, like in American FB, having to leave the field for a time if you claim to be injured?

9. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    I believe the ref has a stopwatch that tracks the stoppage, and is what the extended times are based on. It’s not to the second, but soccer isn’t necessarily a to-the-second game. I like the continuous clock because it keeps the game moving and avoid the 3+ hour games due to clock stoppage.

Wholeheartedly agree with the flopping though, I think flopping should be yellow cards. Use replay to confirm if it’s questionable, and issue yellows. It will slow down the game initially for the replays, but I bet it will virtually stop the practice after a while and the need for replays will reduce greatly after a couple of years.

As for the games, Argentina got their butt kicked and Nigeria handled Iceland pretty easily today. I’m thinking Croatia (who beat Nigeria 2-0) is pretty darn good and may vie for the semis.

10. USCTrojan1990

USCTrojan1990 Points Member

Jun 22, 2018
    better get used to soccer because it will replace football after all this CTE research is done

11. bell

bell Active Member

Jun 22, 2018
    TO BE OFFSIDE...

1) The attacking player must be in the opponents' half of the field.
    2) The pass must be from a team mate.
    3) There must be no more than ONE opponent ('keeper, defender, midfielder and/or attacker) ahead of him/her when the pass is made. (Since the goalkeeper in most cases is the last player, it often looks as though it is ZERO defender).

It is comparable to the "3 second" rule in basketball where they don't want players camp in the paint. The offside rule is often made somewhat more complicated when the ref tries to decide if the offending player was participating in the play or not. As far as I concerned you are participating if you are on the field because the opponent has to account for you.

(On a related subject, looks like the SC women could be formidable this year after getting some good recruits and transfers, at least one from Notre Dame).

BlueBlood likes this.
  12. HelixTrojan

HelixTrojan Junior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Haha!!!

I can sympathize . . . but it's only "stupid" to our American eyes.

In fact, they do track time lost to in-game injuries, and know exactly when to end the game past the 90 minute mark. And referees can issue a "card" for flopping or faking contact when it is egregious.

My youngest son has played the game for years, and is member of an Academy club team. So over the years, I've developed an appreciation for the "beautiful game". It is a physical AND free flowing game when played at its best.

But even though it's growing in this country, the rules of the game just do not conform to our American ideals.

Here are my top (5) reasons Americans do not like the game of soccer:

1) American use their hands for everything.

Because . . . why not? It only makes sense.

2) Americans hate ties.

If we are going to sit for over two hours to watch a game . . . somebody better win, and somebody better lose. And we don't care how many overtime or extra innings it takes to get a winner.

3) Only one referee on the field

With over (20) players on a field bigger than a football field, there is only one referee in between the lines to administrate a soccer game. So a lot of penalties and fouls are missed.

Soccer fans worldwide accept this, and chalk it up to "human error" being a part of the game.

Americans want everything called, measured, and replayed.

If the game was invented in this country, there would be at least 4-6 referees in between the lines, a replay official, sideline and goal line technology, etc.

4) Americans hate going backwards

In soccer, there is a strategic advantage in "playing the ball back" . . . many times all the way to the goal keeper when you have possession.

American games penalize moving the ball backwards.

In football, if an offense goes backwards they are worse off and will lose possession. In basketball, if a player goes too far backward, they'll get a "back court" call and lose possession.

5) Americans hate flopping

In soccer, faking an injury to gain a strategic advantage to win a game is accepted and taught.

Americans will accept bending or even breaking the rules in order to win a game - the old "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin" ethos.

But to fake an injury in America is tantamount to treason.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  13. Globe

Globe Junior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    One comment on understanding offside in soccer and hockey is they have absolutely nothing to do with each other. In soccer it’s all about where defenders are when a pass is made. In hockey it’s complexly irrelevant where defenders are when a pass is made.

14. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Bottom line, the ball cant be passed to another offensive player until there is at least one defender between he and the goalkeeper

15. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Or even with the last defender.

16. PGSC94

PGSC94 Active Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Does it go without saying....?

17. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jun 23, 2018
    I didn't grow up with soccer so I'm totally clueless. Really difficult to watch as far as I'm concerned, but no matter. A lot of people think baseball is boring and I understand that, but having grown up with baseball I know it and "get" it.

And John Roseburrough???? Roseboro.

18. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Just so we’re complete on this rule, this ONLY applies if the player is on the opponent’s side of the field. If there is no defender between him and the goalie on his own side - another words everyone (except goalie) on the other team is on your side of the field - it is not offsides.

19. RCT7

RCT7 Member

Jun 23, 2018
    The World Cup is fun to watch for 4 weeks out of the year. The rest of it -- English Premier League, Bundesliga, the horrid US pro league -- forget it.

As for the Cup winner -- please, anybody but mexico.

20. holt7153

holt7153 Junior Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Germany no effing way.