OT - USC Students Deaths

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by mfortroy, Nov 10, 2019.

1. OT - USC Students Deaths
    mfortroy

mfortroy Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    With all due respect, there are some things going on at SC that are far worse than our football situation. Of utmost concern are the number of USC student deaths since August. Right now it appears to be between 7 - 10 fatalities. This is very serious. Some of them are presumed to be suicides but others are probably drug related. These are tough times for college students.

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Of course football isn't as important as life itself. Do you have an article you could link? A death is a fairly finite statistic....saying 7-10 is odd. It's going to be a hard number.

At least 2 that I know of are alcohol related and one was natural cause.

3. mfortroy

mfortroy Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    No, this is definitely a national problem.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  4. mfortroy

mfortroy Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019

5. mfortroy

mfortroy Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Following is the message sent out by senior SC administrators related to this tragic situation:

USC sent out this message at 11:35 p.m. last night:

Dear USC Community,

We are writing tonight because we have had a number of student deaths over the past several weeks. These student losses are devastating and heartbreaking for all of us.

People are searching for answers and information as we attempt to make sense of these terrible losses.

There is a great deal of speculation about the causes of these deaths and most are being attributed to suicide. This is not correct. These tragic losses have resulted from a number of different causes. In some cases the cause of death is still undetermined, and in others the loved ones do not want details disclosed.

Nothing is more important than your wellbeing and we urge anyone who needs assistance tonight or this weekend to reach out to our counselors, public safety officers or staff. If you are in need of immediate help, please let us know by calling our 24/7 number at 213-740-WELL (213-740-9355). For those who are concerned about the wellbeing of others, please let us know through Trojans Care for Trojans so we may reach out directly with support and intervention.

For students seeking academic support, please reach out to your academic advisors and individual faculty members to discuss specific concerns and options.

Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with the families and friends of those we have lost.

We will continue to work tirelessly to address these losses and do all that we can to improve wellness for our students and our entire community.

Sincerely,

Carol Folt

President

Winston B. Crisp

Vice President for Student Affairs

Varun Soni

Vice Provost for Campus Wellness & Crisis Intervention Dean of Religious and Spiritual Life

Sarah Van Orman

Assoc. Vice Provost for Student Health Chief Health Officer, USC Student Health

6. HOFFA

HOFFA Points Member

Nov 10, 2019
    The ease of access to dangerous opioids on campus is worse than it's ever been. I know it's a nationwide problem, but it seems especially bad on the SC campus right now from what my kids have told me.

7. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    When I teach, I am always watching for signs of this. These kids are under a tremendous amount of pressure to maintain grades to keep their student loans and it's bringing out behavior I never saw as a student. The university provides plenty of "behavioral" resources but that doesn't change the underlying problem.

I don't doubt that opioids are a big part of this but there are plenty of other options for "self-medication".

aimeedee and TrojanFireHorse12 like this.
  8. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Alcohol being a huge culprit.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  9. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    This is a tremendously fragile generation with a limited capacity to manage stress. While there is no single reason for this, increasingly psychologists and social scientists are pointing to the near universal use of cell phones and computers for 4, 5, 6 or even more hours a day. With their noses stuck in a screen since they were 10 or younger, they have not learned basic human coping skills.

Look at the larger society and you'll see that the stigma of suicide isn't what it was even 10 years ago. When kids see people like Robin Williams, Kate Spade, Anthony Bordain, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Chester Bennington, Chris Cornell . . . kill themselves, it feels like a viable "solution" to their momentary troubles and anxieties. It's sad, and sadly, it's becoming more and more common.

10. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Common this is ridiculous. Faculty members rarely give a shit about a student's progress, and our "academic advisers" were absent most of the time and didn't care either. You have to sink or swim, and if you cannot cut it, then cut bait. With the internet resources available today and the unlimited access to it, anyone halfway interested in their subject of study should be able to get the XYZ for Dummies primer or Cliff Notes on any subject. And if nothing works, then realize not everyone is destined for college or university life.

And, students shouldn't let professors bully them around. If the A-hole prof won't make himself clear or plays games, get in his/her face so you can learn. In LAS we have had a number of professors who couldn't speak English well enough to teach their class with absentee TA's and no one from the Dept. gave a shit. In one of my 400 level courses, half the goddamn class failed every semester and no one cared. We all found a way to learn the material, even if they didn't want us to learn it. There are a lot more learning resources now than when I attended SC, and they are far more lenient on foreign languages and written proficiency now. Why is this suddenly a crisis for which to commit seppuku? I don't get it.

11. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    "A Newport Beach University of Southern California student has died after being struck by two vehicles while walking in the southbound FasTrack lanes north of 37th Street just before 2:45 a.m. "

Walking on the 110 at 2:45AM....it wasn't a suicide. Classes hadn't even started yet. There was one suicide at the Teke house in September. I read about a cinema student but no cause of death was given.

Trojack and TrojanFireHorse12 like this.
  12. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    yep

13. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    I could not agree with this more. When I teach my class, I make it a point to give them the slides AFTER the class so they are forced to interact with me and not with their computer. And I tell them this in very forceful language.

But this is also a very metrics-driven generation. You are only as good as your numbers and a student with lower numbers but higher social skills is marginalized. You should see the look on their faces when I tell them that potential employers don't give a flying fuck about their numbers but care deeply if they can solve problems without using algorithms; it's as if I insulted their mothers!

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  14. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Especially when mixed with benzodiazepines and antidepressants.

15. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

LaissezFaire28thStUSC Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    I talked to a pre-med student from TCU who told me that many college kids today take adderall. It is designed to be used to treat ADHD. But apparently an alarming number of college students are taking adderall to help them focus while they study. One negative side effect is the increased tolerance for alcohol. Students can be more drunk before they realize it.

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/g19682257/adderall-side-effects/

JC SOXX and TrojanFireHorse12 like this.
  16. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    What’s new. Recall back in the day a guy hung himself in Trojan Hall. My son said he had a dormmate jump out of Pardee dorm . He went to three drinking events; Hollywood, the Row then dorm party. DPS asked for info but kids clammed up. Drugs & booze a way of life for some.

17. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Just curious as to the typical number of student deaths in any given year.

I'd imagine that within a community of 25,000+ students, a handful each year will die by various means, whether suicide, homicide, overdose, over-gold, accident, general stupidity, or freak medical condition.

18. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Anytime anyone passes is tragic. But when you know them, it really hits home.