OT but need advice: recovering from a concussion

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Rodgarnay51, Mar 24, 2020.

1. OT but need advice: recovering from a concussion
    Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Mar 24, 2020
    I figured since many of you are ex-football players someone might be able to answer my question.

What do I do to pass the time so my brain heals? Sarcasm is fine but I'm serious. I got my bell rung pretty good last Thursday and I've never had a concussion before. I'm told it could take weeks before the symptoms (mainly dizziness) are gone.

I have a very active mind, I'm restless by nature and I just can't slow it down. I tried to take a nap today without success. When I'm awake, when I'm home I'm always either watching TV, reading, listening to music, talking on the phone, working on projects or on the computer. None of these are something I should be doing, but WTH I can't sleep 24/7!

Any ideas? I can do a little bit more but I still get dizzy and need to take it easy. Anything helpful is appreciated. Thanks.

gubo&palanka likes this.

2. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Mar 24, 2020
    Oh man, sorry about the concussion.

Hmmm...lessee

Stop doing anything that causes eye strain, for sure. That will only increase recovery time. Notice I put this in large type : )
    Are you staying hydrated enough? Do lots of that.
    Avoid bright lights, definitely. Wear sunglasses when in bright light.
    Maybe up your proteins. Amino acids are a plus. Maybe some more Omega-3s as well.
    Music is okay but not loud music.

I'm sure there are a few more but it's all about getting rest.

Take care of yourself!

3. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Mar 24, 2020
    What happened to you?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  4. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Mar 24, 2020
    Listen to your doctor

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  5. Rodgarnay51

Mar 24, 2020
    It's kind of embarrassing, but since you guys are helping I'll come clean. I literally backed into and fell backwards into the tub. Nothing to break my fall. I hit the back of my head on that soap holder in the wall of the shower so hard my wife and son came running in. I'm surprised I wasn't KO'd. I was hoping since I didn't pass out I would be OK but no such luck. Very dizzy the following morning. That's the main symptom.

6. Rodgarnay51

Mar 24, 2020
    I asked him what I should do about the computer and reading etc. and his response was "what do people do when they're inside for days at a time and there's no sun or anything?" In other words, I should be able to amuse myself by just lying there.

He did say it was OK to start exercising a little bit. It happened Thursday night and I'm a little more steady.

I now understand why they have concussion protocol. I could no more exercise full on, much less take a hit now than fly. The doctor also said the best thing I can do is don't get another one.

I appreciate your help. Fight On!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  7. Rodgarnay51

Mar 24, 2020
    Thanks N8tiv! I noticed that about the music this morning. I took a short drive this morning and had some music on, and I had to keep it low. I'm definitely sensitive to bright light too.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try listening to some music in bed. And I'll go drink some more water now. Appreciate your help. I'm confident it will pass but not sure when.

SoCalN8tiv likes this.
  8. NYTrojan

NYTrojan Junior Member

Mar 24, 2020

9. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Mar 24, 2020
    Rest and get better Rod. Watch replays of SC football game, especially those 16 all time great games that were listed here by Erik. But avoid games from the 18 season.

10. NYTrojan

NYTrojan Junior Member

Mar 24, 2020
    R51 - I got a concussion skiing last year and ended up getting Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment, which really made a big qdifference. It's off-label for concussions, but basically you lay in a glass tube with pressurized pure oxygen. Originally created to save divers who got the bends, it's now mostly used for treating on-label indications like diabetic wounds, radiation burns/burns, and crush wounds. There are a number of studies being done for the military on HBO's effectiveness in treating TBI and PTSD and a number of former football players (e.g., Namath, AD) say they've had success with it in treating brain injuries from their playing days. Not cheap, but worth checking out.

Rodgarnay51 and SoCalN8tiv like this.
  11. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Mar 25, 2020
    That's frightening, '51. Last thing I heard about fall stats is that folks 65 and older who fall and break a hip show that 25% are gone in six months to a year due to complications. If you don't have handrails and anti-slip appliqués for your shower or tub - no matter what age you are -then install them asap. Doing this because is worth every penny. Take care, please take care.

12. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Mar 25, 2020
    So you're saying the bathing habits of the typical ucla student -- a shower/bath once a month on the first Sunday, whether needed or not -- has a silver lining?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  13. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Mar 25, 2020
    That's rather harsh. We need them to stay healthy and fit enough to deliver us pizzas, ya know.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  14. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Mar 25, 2020
    I don't want to contradict your doctor without knowing all the context but fwiw, that's the exact opposite advice I've experienced with concussion protocol in my 20+ years of coaching. Immediate shut down of all physical activity has always been first priority. The above serious recommendations by others are all good ones and match what I've been taught: low light, noise, constant hydration, and no sudden movements. The rest your body is requiring needs to be satisfied to best of your ability. My two cents...sorry about your accident.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  15. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Mar 25, 2020
    I've had three, but the last one was over 20 years ago, so I'm sure things change.

Found this online and it all sounds like good advice.

Reduce screen time. ...
    Limit exposure to bright lights and loud sounds. ...
    Avoid unnecessary movement of your head and neck. ...
    Stay hydrated. ...
    Rest. ...
    Eat more protein. ...
    Eat foods rich in omega-3s.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  16. Rodgarnay51

Mar 25, 2020
    Why isn't Pac-12 showing replays of SC games? I'm sure it would improve their ratings.

17. Rodgarnay51

Mar 25, 2020
    I know, but I fell INTO the tub, not in it. I can eliminate that simply by not being so dumb!

18. Rodgarnay51

Mar 25, 2020
    LOL!! Oh come on!

19. Rodgarnay51

Mar 25, 2020
    Thanks. The sudden movements are still causing little jolts of dizziness.

20. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Mar 25, 2020
    Dunno Rod dear, but you shouldn't be watching the telly!

I say this for your own health and well-being....stay off the board for awhile and cut out the eye strain/focusing. It isn't advised. And if I have to, I'll start spamming the board with articles about Title IX! Lol. I keed....but seriously, give your brain the chance to heal properly. All it needs is rest and relaxation.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.