OT - again; "free tuition?"

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Merlin4SC, Feb 20, 2020.

1. OT - again; "free tuition?"
    Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    How else can Folt and BoT find ways to denigrate my degrees that represent blood sweat and tears. Those were really my hardest dollars to earn and now they made those dollars practically useless by giving tuition away for free. I hope they don't also make the degrees useless next.

Does this mean they are going to lower admission standards as well just when we surpassed ucla and Kal? Not everyone is meant to have college degrees and it is supposed to be a proud achievement to all those of us who struggled to make it.

Too many head scratchers out of this Admin so far. Am I missing something here???

CrownoftheValley likes this.

2. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    I’m hoping it’s just another form of extreme financial aid - hopefully won’t lower any standards for anyone, but encourage qualified people who may be afraid to apply because of the price.

3. woohit42

woohit42 Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Not exactly. There's a small percentage of students who will be awarded additional financial aid if their families make under $80,000 a year. They're also not going to factor in home values as they're so inflated. It also doesn't lower admission standards. The program starts in fall 2020 and is only for incoming freshmen.

jpq21, J4SC75, aimeedee and 1 other person like this.
  4. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Winning at baseball sounds great.

Kaptain Karl likes this.
  5. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    What do you mean "not exactly?" I paid for what financial aid did not cover and still had to work my way through school in spite of my schollie. I could have claimed as an "independent student" not on parents tax returns that I made less than $80K just like these people. So, fast forward from 1989 to today. I wasted about $45K according to Folt, and those were very hard dollars to earn then. So how is this "not exactly?"

6. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    USC should rename the free tuition with merit scholarships.
    Than it would be easier to swallow.
    Like the posters above I am not rich and worked my way through USC.
    To use the the word "free" devalues my degree as I was working I was
    going to school.
    It was not easy but I made it on my own.

7. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Admissions standards are about supply and demand and this just opened the floodgates of people would never have thought about applying. To raise standards would be to be more selective like Furd and take fewer people, not more. Are you telling me tuition is free at Stanford?

8. aimeedee

aimeedee Points Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Not sure about MIT, but most of the others are.

nvargas likes this.
  9. aimeedee

aimeedee Points Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Yes -- for people below a certain income level it is. Also, Stanford, Vanderbilt, WashU, UChicago etc. have "no loan" policies, meaning that all demonstrated need-based aid is in the form of grants, not loans.

Lucky and nvargas like this.
  10. aimeedee

aimeedee Points Member

Feb 20, 2020
    This also benefits CA residents immensely. I've always thought it was unfair that cost-of-living is not taken into account, much, in FA decisions. Someone residing in a $750K home in St. Louis is likely in a MUCH better financial situation than someone in residing in a $750K home in L.A.

jpq21, nvargas and VM805 like this.
  11. aimeedee

aimeedee Points Member

Feb 20, 2020
    USC has merit scholarships -- generous ones for extraordinary applicants. These are need-based aid. I worked two/three part time jobs while attending USC full time and I also got very generous scholarships/aid. It seems to me that USC has gotten to be more of a financial burden in the last two decades. (I'm not blaming that on USC. There seems to be tuition inflation all around.) I have two kids who are recent alums and they have a fair bit of debt. It is manageable and they have no regrets. At any rate, I am thankful for what I got from USC and don't begrudge future students getting a better deal than what my kids had.

nvargas, youngdna, VM805 and 2 others like this.
  12. SCAnteater

SCAnteater Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    It's not open admissions. Kids would still need to have the chops to get admitted. Cynically, we're talking about a few unicorns here. The kids who come from low income households who can amass all the goodies needed to gain acceptance to schools like USC are rare.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  13. Damien

Damien Points Member

Feb 21, 2020
    When learning is 100 percent online, state colleges will be free or close to it. Technology will solve the cost problem. Record lectures, books online, etc. Campuses will be ghost towns. Private schools will have decisions to make because the price may outweigh the value.

14. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    I WAS "BELOW A CERTAIN INCOME LEVEL" and I had to work my way through two degrees. Now that would no longer be necessary AND I took out loans. You might feel good about giving stuff away but I don't. Back to the main point of the OP; some people have the fortitude and drive necessary to make it happen and others don't. Now there's no difference, just show up and say I don't have money and want my free shit! GET THE PICTURE!!!! It cheapens my effort so you can feel good about giving shit away while I earned it.

PS. in case you are interested in facts, the Fed governs how much tuition can be increased each year, and last I checked it was 7.5% maximum and almost all private schools use that maximum every year.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    TXTrojan_itul1 likes this.
  15. Lucky

Lucky Points Member

Feb 21, 2020

16. Lucky

Lucky Points Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Yes.

17. Yup All Right

Yup All Right Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    These days tuition compared to average salaries is outrageously higher than it was even one or two decades ago (even counting inflation). Almost all of the top private universities offer this type of benefit. A higher number of elite students who couldn't otherwise afford USC will now consider it. And good PR comes from this.

It does suck for the students who just miss out due to income level or graduation date. And there's definitely an understandable sentiment of "back in my day the school didn't pay for my tuition." But as I mentioned, tuition has skyrocketed, so it's not really a fair comparison.

Altogether this is a good move.

18. USCHusbandUCLAWife

USCHusbandUCLAWife Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    MIT is tuition-free under $90,000, not much above USC now.

aimeedee likes this.