Oregon State planning fewer padded spring ball practices

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Oregon State planning fewer padded spring ball practices
    ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Feb 27, 2020
    Oregon State has 12 of its 15 spring ball practices in full pads last season and head coach Jonathan Smith was quoted in the Oregonian saying that they would have fewer spring ball practices in full pads this year, but didn’t give an exact number.

Always a topic that gets brought up with USC practices.

2. AJSCFAN

AJSCFAN Junior Member

Feb 27, 2020
    USC need to ramp theirs up because they need to start instilling toughness in the players and team.

3. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 27, 2020
    Not a poke at anyone in particular, but it always amazes me how us message board people talk about how tough or soft football players are. I would venture to say that none of us would so much as utter to one of those big OL or DL that they are soft. I would probably word things more like, they need some motivation and a controlled swagger.

SC200SC, jjg4sc and SoAmericanTrojan like this.
  4. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Feb 27, 2020
    Good point, but sadly, there's little relationship between what's written in social media and what is spoken in person between adults.

jjg4sc likes this.
  5. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Feb 27, 2020
    I would have no problem telling any lineman he is playing soft if he is indeed playing soft i.e. getting stood up, not moving their feet to get in proper position to make a block, making the wrong block etc. I feel this coaching staff (regardless what Helton has to say) will up the toughness factor across the entire team. This season is going be a bit more like Trojan football not because of Helton, but in spite of Helton....

LDIABootney likes this.
  6. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 28, 2020
    If they're getting pushed around by nd, Whore-gone or Iowa, they're soft. Why can't we say that? Who would have a problem with that?

7. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Feb 28, 2020
    Okay I’d like to know what the elite teams do....and do that. Clemson - Bama - UCLA (just seeing if you’re actually reading) ...how many do THEY do?

8. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Feb 28, 2020
    Fail to see any kind of relevance to the topic? How did we go from a coaching staff’s decision to include practices with pads, to calling a lineman soft to his face? It’s the staff that is being called out on the board, and rightfully so.

racea911 and LDIABootney like this.
  9. SC200SC

SC200SC Junior Member

Feb 28, 2020
    Sorry Colonel I just can't resist;

10. LDIABootney

LDIABootney Junior Member

Feb 28, 2020
    Thank You, there's always some captain save em dude on here, changing the subject.

11. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Mar 2, 2020
    You brought up "softness" so I commented about message board warriors calling football players soft...when I guarantee none of us would do that to one of those players in person...mostly because I'm sure they know better than us message board warriors whether or not they are soft. So I didn't change the subject at all Sir.

12. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Mar 2, 2020
    Agree. Instead of talking about Oregon State practices, why isn't someone posting about what Clemson, Bama, tOSU are doing? (I was paying attention) Are those teams doing the same things we are doing, is that why nobody mentions it? I would assume that coaches who have come from other top tier programs would be speaking out if we weren't.

jjg4sc likes this.