Oregon Defensive Coordinator candidates. One name is very interesting.

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by LDIABootney, Jan 9, 2021.

2. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jan 9, 2021
    They aren't going to pay for the buy out with other viable candidates readily available. JMO

LDIABootney likes this.
  3. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jan 9, 2021
    I doubt it. Kevin Steele would be a nice fit and he has worked with Cristobal before - Leonard from Wisconsin would be a scary good hire, but I think his next move is to head coach somewhere. Don't think Orlando is ready to leave unless things get even more shaky with Helton.

EdtheConquerer17 likes this.
  4. BESCFAN

BESCFAN Junior Member

Jan 9, 2021
    Oregon is a substantially more stable environment than SC is at this point. If I were making a career move as an assistant, SC carries high risk compared to many other possible opportunities. Plus, I can’t imagine having to call Helton “boss”.

5. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Jan 9, 2021
    While they may have lower floors than Orlando, I think Oregon has a couple of internal candidates that have much higher ceilings...Especially Heyward! Joe Salavea'a wouldn't be a bad choice either. But, if they don't go with Heyward, I think they should go after either Tosh Lupoi or Bo Davis. Damn, imagine having all of those guys on a staff. Talk about a recruiting juggernaut!

While we're talking about coaching changes, can we PLEASE get rid of John David Baker and hire a dedicated linebacker coach (CC) for crying out loud. Snyder is more than qualified to handle both special teams AND tight ends. Having Baker take up one of the coaching slots just because he is Graham Harrell's pro wrestling buddy is absolutely ridiculous. I could see making a concession like that if Harrell was the second coming of Bill Walsh, but I think we have all seen that he is nothing of the sort.

Also, while we're handing out pink slips, can we please send one Mike Jinks' way. I really like Jinks too, this team (and fan base) just desperately needs a new running back coach. Even if running the ball "isn't what we do here," the fresh blood on HJF will at least give us lowly 100 dollar donors a little bit of hope. Sadly he'll just be another in a long line of Helton assistants forced to take a bullet for the real offender(s).

Hey, I was just thinking....maybe Cristobal will anger and alienate Heyward by going outside the program for a new DC. I would gladly trade Naivar for Heyward. Imagine Heyward coaching our safeties and Williams our cornerbacks. We would own the living room! Just do what Oregon does and throw around job titles. Associate head coaches, assistant head coaches, co-defensive and offensive coordinators, etc, etc...Make it happen Bohnerino.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    AMLTrojan likes this.
  6. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 9, 2021
    I think there are more potential head coaches with defensive backgrounds then offensive coaches. That may have been a sticking point with Fickell as he probably would have like to bring over his DC if he did come here, but that is a mute point now as his DC moved over to work for Kelly. This could be a good move for Orlando as I also think he knows the dangling carrot (replacing Helton) is not very likely. It just puts Bohn in another difficult position should Orlando get poached. Just please do not let Orlando take Williams. Both Graham and Orlando’s contracts are timed with Helton’s so if either go, it will be tough bringing in a coach on a one year deal with no guarantee they will be around when they replace Helton! Bohn is definitely earning his paycheck!
    Fight On!

LDIABootney likes this.
  7. LDIABootney

LDIABootney Junior Member

Jan 9, 2021
    Orlando was a DC under Cristobal before.
    So they would be comfortable with each other.

8. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Donte Williams from Socal, and in 1 year has already made his mark, plus a promotion with title and pay...

Even if Helton wereto get booted out, DW will always have a job here, me thinks....

9. ICEnEC

ICEnEC Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Nothing about the quackers is interesting. Ever.

10. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Come on man, linebacker play has been our strength (sarcasm emoji)

big_pete likes this.