Oluwole Betiku Jr #47 DE Illinois

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Cardinal&Gold, Sep 4, 2019.

1. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Again, Wole didn't develop not because he didn't care or wasn't good enough. He had surgery on both problematic hips on two separate occasions. He was at practice giving moral support to his teammates. Wole had one leg significantly thinner than the other due to muscle atrophy after each surgery. I would like to see anyone here try to compete against other elite athletes after having two hip surgeries. You can't, no one can. As a result of his medical issues, he was eventually passed up and shelved. He never really got it going. The coaches had to move on and so did Wole. Good for Wole, he's playing football. That's something Daniel Imatorbhebhe who also had a hip issue wishes he could still do. How about everyone stop bashing Wole who had a real and significant medical issue. Or would the bunch of you also like to bash Daniel Imatorbhebhe as well for being unable to play? I hope not. I think we're better than what I've been reading on this thread about Wole Betiku. Just stop it already.

Fight On, Wole!

earlandnic, Troken and Pudly76 like this.
  2. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    What's the strech? That Utah would have made "something" of him? I didn't say he'd be an AA or a 1st rd pick, only that Utah would have gotten production out of him, and Stanford would develop him to eventually get some production from him.

SC got absolutely nothing from him.

Utah takes projects every year, players SC would never even offer, same with Bosie St.

SC has perfected the art of doing less with more. This used to be Texas territory, and Michigan's for a couple years (Miami also), but now we own this title all to ourselves.

Pudly76 likes this.
  3. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    the thing was he really looked the part, but to be honest he always looked lost out there when playing. Maybe he has improved like we have seen from Houston

4. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Agree with most of this, and am sincerely sympathic to Wole's unique situation, but if I recall, he did have some stretches of health where we has able to play no? Freshman year, I think some other seasons as well?

He still has 2 years left of eligibility, Stanford doesn't even start playing most of their players until their 3rd/4th years.

Tuliapupu truly has not seen the field, either of his 2 years due to health reasons. That is unfortunate. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this wasn't entirely Wole's situation?

earlandnic and Pudly76 like this.
  5. Pudly76

Pudly76 Points Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Yeah, I wanna see him do it for a year, but let’s be honest, there are many whose personalities don’t match with a program or coach. Just because they do it with less stars doesn’t mean a thing for Wole yet. I really hope he does do great. But that doesn’t mean a thing as far as development goes from one program to the next...hell the last two Heisman trophies went to transfers. Jalen Hurts just left bama, georgia just lost a 5* qb transfer. It’s a stretch to say the schools didn’t develop them, when it might well have been scheme.

6. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    QB's at prominent programs are a whole nother topic, unique unto themselves. There can only be 1 QB on the field at a time, so when you stockpile 3 or 4 elite recruits, 1 or 2 of them will have to transfer (even though they're studs themselves).

Bama doesn't care if Hurts does well at Choklohoma, as long as Tua wins them every game.

Kelly Bryant could win the Heisman at Mizzu, but Clemson won't lose sleep as long it wins the Natty.

earlandnic and Pudly76 like this.
  7. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    all things considered USC has a lot less transfers than the norm. This was a big year, I think they were more aggressive than usual based on last year results, but typically we do not have many

earlandnic likes this.
  8. tommytrojan1122

tommytrojan1122 Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Surprised no one has mentioned BKU. I don’t know how anyone can blame Clancy for Betiku’s lack of development but Udeze gets a pass.

9. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Tak McKinley was a beast, a self motivated beast, in other words, the polar opposite of Wole Betiku. He is also a natural football player, in other words, the exact opposite of Wole Betiku.

Tak is starting in the NFL for a playoff contending team. He would have been an first rounder at USC too.

earlandnic likes this.
  10. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Kenechi just about beat his head against the wall trying to turn Wole into a football player.

earlandnic likes this.
  11. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Sep 6, 2019
    I believe Wole had one adversity after another while at USC. First, he was too raw, not enough football experience. Then he was injured. Then the defense went away from his position. I think he just was never in a spot where he could contribute to the team materially.

12. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Thanks for the background, makes sense.