OL: Same Old, Same Old?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by MiketoBush61, Apr 26, 2021.

1. OL: Same Old, Same Old?
    MiketoBush61

MiketoBush61 Points Member

Apr 26, 2021
    So, like most everyone here I have been reading the reports by Eric about the practices and scrimmages. And, while I understand that "spring is spring," in other words, it's difficult to determine much about the team vs. individual players who may be standing out, I am concerned with reading that as in recent years, the offense could not run the ball effectively in short yardage situations. In fact, while a TD is a TD is a TD, it was even more disconcerting to hear that they had to play-action from the 3 yard line on one occasion to score, and, another score was because "The Drake" (apologies to all Seinfeld fans for the "steal") made a phenomenal one-handed catch, which is something not guaranteed to happen the next time he has to go up for one of those.

I don't know who the new LT is going to be (I am almost praying it will be the inexperienced but talented Courtland Ford) and I don't have a horse in the race other than wanting my Trojans to put out the best O-line they can, but again, I am discouraged to see that there is even a possibility that Voorhees may wind up at the spot.

I don't know about you but a tackle duo of Voorhees and McKenzie sounds like Slovis on the DL and Dart running for his life since the run game is not going to much better despite the bevy of talented RB's on hand.

In a REAL competition, McKenzie would probably be slotted BEHIND Monheim and/or moved to guard to compete with Jimmons or Voorhees, Dedich would be starting in place of Jimmons or Voorhees, and, somebody not named Voorhees would be situated at LT.

I fully understand that there are no clear-cut go-to options at LT and that the alternatives to the vets are fairly untested frosh/sophs, but, the vets have had 4-5 years to show they can get it done. At this point I'd rather blow it up and see Ford & Monheim in particular get as many snaps as they can handle as USC's seniors will be gone and they are going to have to come up with something to make 2022 successful.

All opinions, pro & con are appreciated.

As a Trojan fan since '61 (Hackett, Smith, Tollner, Kiffin, Sark, and, now Helton) I have a lot of tolerance...

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Apr 26, 2021
    New OL coach has his work cut out. Fall camp will show if he shakes up things

3. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Apr 26, 2021
    The obvious is our Oline is still a work in progress. The real question is if our Dline is as strong as the results are showing or is it because of our weak Oline play? That is just as worrisome as Kedon going down.
    Fight On!

Hockey10 likes this.
  4. OxyTrojan

OxyTrojan Junior Member

Apr 26, 2021
    You are spot on. Voorhees is a decent guard but was horrid at tackle. McKenzie was mediocre at RT and would be awful at LT. I don’t want to be right about this but Kedon would get hurt with them at LT. Jimmons should not start. We need to roll the dice with Ford or Monheim.

5. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Apr 26, 2021
    Hopefully Mason Murphy shows up on campus this summer ready to take somebody's job.

Ride Fly and Gilesmiles like this.
  6. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Apr 27, 2021
    I don't think Andrew Vorhees is Alijah Vera-Tucker right now, but I don't think it's fair to say he's the Andrew Vorhees of three years ago either. I think Vorhees played well there in the spring game. I do agree that whoever plays left tackle this year, there are going to be questions going into that first game.

But I would certainly hope that if Courtland Ford plays left tackle this year, he's not as good as he's going to be three years from now.

OxyTrojan likes this.
  7. MiketoBush61

Apr 27, 2021
    I hear you, but it's not likely. I base that not only on the fact that there isn't really much true competition under the helm of Helton, but, just looking at linemen coming out of high school who still need to shape that weight that they have and drop fat for muscle, etc., etc. I don't think he's even going to be considered for action.

Regardless of who starts, there are really just 7 O-linemen in the rotation right now: Voorhees, Neilon, Jimmons, McKenzie, Ford, Monheim, and, Dedich. I don't see Murphy coming in and even getting consideration over a Casey Collier, who is probably #8 in the OL room and is being publicly praised as a future impact player.

8. Alvaro Carrillo

Alvaro Carrillo Points Member

Apr 27, 2021
    I am optimistic about the mixing and matching on the OL. But I would like to know what are the coaches' intentions? Is it still an open competition? Or have they already decided on their starters and just trying to find backups? Jimmons needs to be replaced. I would also like to see Monheim get a shot at right tackle. Unless personnel changes are made, we will not see a significant improvement.

9. Ride Fly

Ride Fly Junior Member

Apr 29, 2021
    How come there isn’t much talk of Jason Rodriguez? Is he down the depth chart behind Colliers too? Jeez, I think most here thought he was going to be the heir apparent someday. Wasn’t he the highest ranked HS OL we got in the past 3 years?

10. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Apr 29, 2021
    He's been running with the second team at guard this week. I think he needed some time and things are starting to come together. He was in the 2019 recruiting class, and considering the 2020 season, this is really just his second year in the program. No shame in things taking 2-3 years to come together for an offensive lineman. Interested to see what he does over the summer and how he looks at the beginning of fall camp. He definitely didn't appear to be in the mix early in the spring, but we've seen more and more of him as coaches have taken more of a look at some of the backups. While some of the 2020 recruits still aren't really getting any kind of significant run, Rodiguez is now.

Ride Fly likes this.
  11. MiketoBush61

Apr 29, 2021
    Very good point. I think this speaks to a few things. First, since the O-line has not been a strength, how good was Rodriguez that he can't make a dent as far as being in the rotation. Second, not to state the obvious, but, if what I just said is taken under consideration, maybe because he was the "top OL recruit" in that class, Rodriguez was over-rated. And, lastly, for the umpteenth time, Helton does not believe in competition. His new defensive staff does, which is why I believe we are in the midst of a strong defensive "revival" at USC, but, I'm not so sure that the offense-which to me is more of Helton's baby, is on board with the philosophy of having to compete 24/7 to retain their status.