Oklahoma whatever-raid

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Boselli, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Oklahoma whatever-raid
    Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Apr 29, 2019
    Watched it again on ESPN last night.
    Not that impressed with that Okie offense. The QB won the Heisman and was then the number one pick in the NFL draft... so? It has been said, and if you were not listening, "that a quarterback can be the great equalizer". You do the history but there have been many teams who have risen up to NC level on the back of a very good one and this Oklahoma team is one of them... yet Texas still made it hard on them.

That being said, we in no way have that kind of a QB. Putting Jack Sears and JT Daniels in a spreadsheet with Kyler Murray is like =((sears+daniels)<.2*murray) and it becomes obvious our QBs are not comparable to him so picking one on the basis of who has the best legs is not that important.

BTW if Matt Schick keeps "moving ahead with the action" and still looks the same as he did nearly two decades later then Ponce was on to something..

2. FTFO33

FTFO33 Junior Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Also had 4 offensive linemen picked in the first 4 rounds. You don't need to be impressed, the NFL is.

3. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Yes, but we have neither of these. We have neither a dynamic "gamechanging" QB, or maulers for OL's (or an elite defense).

This is where I think any comparisons to Choklohoma's "Air Raid" and ours are baseless. Their offense was more of a "Tebow-like" offense where you just let the playmaker do his thing. There were techniques/formations based off the Air Raid/Spread, but the main ingredient was the QB that made things happen. Air Raid Air Schamde...go get an electric QB and an elite OL to transfer to your school and you'd have success with the wishbone!

If by chance Sears becomes a gamechanger like Darnold, then I think you chalk that up to player and not the system. But I agree tailoring a system to leverage the skillset of the QB is the right thing, but please no comparisons to Choklohoma. Apples and oranges IMO.

4. FTFO33

FTFO33 Junior Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Wasn’t commenting on us. My quoted post was about Oklahoma, not about us, so there was no comparison.

That being said, Air Raid style offenses (none are made equal) were said to not have OL that can be drafted. Too athletic, too small. Oklahoma proved that’s not true. WSU proved that’s not true. Can we develop ours? Drevno is a good coach. We’ll see.

5. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Maybe not. But I’m waiting to see them in a real offensive scheme before I make that judgment.

Pudly76 likes this.
  6. Pudly76

Pudly76 Points Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Yeah, I’d like to see them before I condemn them.

7. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

May 1, 2019
    I do know our offense sucked and has for quite some time. Oklahoma’s O is irrelevant to our predicament

nvargas and Pudly76 like this.