Official: Helton retained, to continue as USC head coach

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 4, 2019.

1. prescottbear

prescottbear Member

Dec 5, 2019
    As a 62 year Trojan supporter, I am disappointed that I will probably not see USC be a contender in my lifetime. I do not hate Coach Helton, would love to see him happy somewhere else. Alabama first and we should be beaten soundly.

Ztrogan likes this.
  2. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    All I know is that I will not be travelling to see that beatdown like I did a few years ago......

84Trojan and KeepCalm&FightOn like this.
  3. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Texas, more so. Anywhere should Daniels start

4. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    The gaps in college football are getting wider. That's why I don't understand the move to retain Clay Helton. It's like nobody at Heritage Hall is paying attention to big picture realities. It's not enough to have a cupcake offense. The handful of truly elite teams recruit supreme athletes and prioritize play to play defensive intensity that wipes out the cute stuff. Meanwhile the pretender teams merely spotlight offense. That's the lazy approach. It's been the one undertaken by Oklahoma, although they have at least boosted the defense to average level this season.

Check out the national leaders in defensive yards per play. You might recognize a few teams:

http://cfbstats.com/2019/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort02.html

I see zero evidence that Clay Helton has even a 1% grasp of what it takes to threaten the top of that list. There have been some teams in the Pac 12 making a recent legitimate attempt, like Washington and Utah. Oregon under Cristobal showed signs of physical legitimacy this season. IMO, Helton will continue to screw around with the same type of team, a 52-35 type of team.

I turned off the Oregon game before halftime because the outcome was inevitable. One team was there to hit people and challenge underneath garbage. The other team was hoping for a 52-49 game and somehow wind up on top.

Miami 2001 is the all-time leader in final power rating in Jeff Sagarin's computer model. The Canes finished above 106 power rating. Ohio State is above 106 right now. That team will almost certainly finish with the highest power rating of all time if it sweeps the remaining 3 games. I realize nobody pays attention to power ratings. But if you do it is glaring that it the aspirations need to be higher. You can't expect a half loaf team to be any threat at all. Every season there are teams above 100 on that model, when previously it wasn't unheard of for a 95 team to top the list.

Urban Meyer was the only hope I maintained for someone who could set foot in University Park and immediately demand that this soft service-break football would no longer be tolerated. You have to break backs and keep that opposing 0 on the scoreboard as long as possible. Nick Saban has been overly lax during the Tua years, more accepting of high scoring games since he assumed Tua would merely outscore the opponent anyway. I can almost guarantee Saban is livid now, and that type of team will no longer exist is Tuscaloosa. Meanwhile USC under Helton will be all prancing smiles and have no clue whatsoever they are about to be punched in the face.

5. Ztrogan

Ztrogan Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Well one silver lining is traffic around LA on game days next year will be very light! This is so disappointing it makes me sick! I guess the “great recruits” (all the 3 stars) will have fun playing in front of 8,000 fans! I’M DONE WITH USC FOOTBALL!

Esthersar and ConquerorSC like this.
  6. prescottbear

prescottbear Member

Dec 5, 2019
    The new chant.......We were SC.

7. Ztrogan

Ztrogan Points Member

Dec 6, 2019
    You can’t spell “suck” without USC...thanks Bohnhead!

ConquerorSC likes this.
  8. TruGenX

TruGenX Points Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Chip had Helfrich or Allioti as assistants at Oregon. don't underestimate the value of quality of assistant coaches, the guys who actually game plan and teach and motivate the players. I would almost guarantee the ucla would be a better team if Chip had them as assistants in westwood. But ucla would have have to pay them big money.

9. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Dec 6, 2019
    images (55).jpeg

Stay calm. Be strong. We got this. Fight On!

10. Gold Trojan

Gold Trojan Points Member

Dec 9, 2019
    2nd 3* de-commitment drops USC to a historic low of 87th in the nation.

11. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    I'll just throw this perhaps far-fetched hypothetical out there as a counter balance to the doom and gloom permeating this board and conspiracy theories being tossed about:

BoT conspiracy aside, but what if Bohn has a master plan to hire Urban Meyer next year or he has another candidate in mind? Perhaps Helton is the best door stop for one season? I think it's clear that Helton is not the coach USC needs to be in serious contention for national championships. Yeah, this may be pie in the sky thinking...butttttt...maybe Meyer isn't feeling it and he's going to give being a studio analyst another year to see if his brain cyst can be managed to where he can coach again. Keep in mind that a brain cyst is not cured but rather it's managed under medical supervision over the course of one's lifetime. My medical theory is that a brain cyst fluctuates in concert with atmospheric pressure changes. Low pressure atmospheric conditions cause the cyst to expand and high pressure causes the cyst to shrink. Los Angeles in it's normal state has clear skies and sunny days, which is mainly due to constant high pressure systems. Not to get too technical but the best weather region for Urban Meyer is either the deserts of the southwest or the Mediterranean climate of California, in general.

There, that's my wishful thinking hypothesis. Call me crazy but I accurately predicted LSU beating Bama, seeing a changing of the guard, winning the SEC and going on to play in the National Championship Game (pending) That post is out there on this board somewhere. Anyway, unrelated, but so far so good... ; )

84Trojan and Cyrus like this.
  12. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Good theory but hopefully Notre Dame won’t have a job opening next year. We know that Ohio State and ND were Meyer’s dream jobs. And ND fired one coach (willingham) thinking they were going to get Meyer. So we have to root for Kelly to do well next year and not retire or go for another job.

13. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Dec 10, 2019
    That is a tired line from bRuin fans and that makes you sound like one of those assholes. When you look in the mirror this is what you see.
    download - 2019-12-06T063058.648.jpeg

14. ZiaSon

ZiaSon Active Member

Dec 11, 2019

15. ZiaSon

ZiaSon Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Like most of your posts.