Official: Helton retained, to continue as USC head coach

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 4, 2019.

1. 1969Trojan

1969Trojan Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I have seen a few periods of mediocrity in USC football including the current one. The last three ADs made poor decisions regarding the hiring and firing of head coaches. We blamed these decisions on their lack of administrative and leadership experience. However, we were optimistic that Mr. Bohn, who has good sports administrative experience, to make the right decision and find and hire a championship-caliber coach for the program. However, by keeping the current head football coach the new AD started his tenure with a highly unpopular, unwise decision. The three problems that will come knocking at his door will be: (1) The current football program has lost the USC fan base, (2) The current coach has lost the top recruits and is almost last in Pac12 in recruiting, and (3) The tremendous loss in ticket sale and TV contracts next year will be hard to swallow for the University administration. In addition, the season will start with a game against Alabama and the anticipated humiliating defeat in front of the national audience will be very embarrassing for the program. It is so plain and obvious that the current football program has serious flaws in player development, practice regime, strength and conditioning, player motivation, game adjustment, and fundamental coaching philosophy and approach. I am positive that fans are shocked, bewildered, and highly disappointed by this action.

LR4TROY and 84Trojan like this.
  2. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I wouldn’t call it mediocrity. Last years bad showing gets kind of washed with this years decent record.

This years recruiting has taken a hit, but years past it has been solid.
    Keeping CH is not a good move because we’ve seen the best he has, and for
    USC that’s not enough.

It’s far from mediocre, but it is challenging.

3. bigSCreen

bigSCreen Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    So here’s my take now that we have a resolution. Firstly, I don’t believe Bohn didn’t have talks with Stoops and/or Urban. I believe he struck out and that’s the reason for the delay. With that, I get the animosity towards Clay. He had a bad year last year, but this year was actually better than expected given the rash of injuries. As much as we hate to admit the adversity the team had with injuries, it is a real factor and not a lot of coaching staffs could’ve done better all things considered.

That said, I totally get that it’s the type of bone headed penalties and mistakes the team continued to make this year that frustrate most fans. I personally hate it and knew not enough changed when on the very first play of the season we got a penalty for two players wearing the same number. I mean how idiotic is that? After all of the preparation in the offseason we managed to get a mind numbing penalty which seemed all too familiar in the Helton era.

However, what were truly the biggest disappointments this year? Special teams and the defense. Both somewhat fixable problems if we just get better coaches. If we make the changes in those two areas I am pretty optimistic about things even with Helton still in charge.

Despite everything though, we still did manage to go 8-4 and that’s actually pretty good considering all of the injuries and poor coaching on D and ST. Once upon a time Pendergast and Baxter were actually great coaches, so it’s not that foolish as to why Clay didn’t think they’d bounce back, but for whatever reason they seem to have lost their mojo all together and they have to be gone, which it sounds like they will.

Despite all of the hatred Clay gets though, why does Tom Herman, Chris Peterson, Gary Patterson and Brian Shaw all get passes for their seasons? They were all projected to have great seasons and started off ranked for the most part, and I don’t think any of them had any material injury issues, yet no one is blasting them for their down years. I mean what has Tom Herman done in virtually the same span as Helton? Outside of one good year at Houston he hasn’t done squat with Texas and yet many SC fans drooled over the possibility of hiring him, yet he has not even matched Helton’s accomplishments thus far in all reality at Texas, a school with similar expectations. He’s on the hot seat now after averaging 5 losses per year, but national media wise he hasn’t been blasted nearly as hard as Helton.

I think Bohn and Folt came to the determination that we as fans are just being too harsh on CH. He certainly hasn’t showed he is an elite coach, but the sample size is pretty small. Not saying he’s the next Saban or Dabo but go check out their records early on in their coaching careers and it may be eye opening.

Ultimately, Pendergast and Baxter gotta go and that could be enough to solve most of our issues... Hopefully. Don’t get me wrong, I was rooting hard for Urban, but the more I think about this logically I think Clay is kind of getting worse criticism than maybe he actually deserves. We all complain about player development, but you look at Slovis and he damn sure did develop this year. The secondary played beyond their years and developed significantly this year despite its youth and lack of experience. The OL was dramatically improved over last year and backups were ready to go under Drevno. So it’s actually not factual that players didn’t develop as much as fans have been claiming. Some units did underperform, most notably special teams, and the defensive scheme didn’t seem to work. Offensively, though, we were much improved under Harrell and what’s to say changes at DC and ST coordinators won’t provide that boost to get us over the top.

Anyway, it’s done, so there is no point in debating head coaching moves. Helton is on his last life, so let’s just see what happens before we write next year off.

4. KeepCalm&FightOn

KeepCalm&FightOn Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    We are drowning as a program. Harrell got us closer to land but even with an equivalent coach at DC and Special Teams next year, we still die twenty feet from shore. Closer, but not enough to restore us to glory.

The real issues are not going to be fixed and they will keep us from being elite. Its as simple as that.

84Trojan likes this.
  5. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    This post is very true.
    But as fans there is not much we can do but protest and put the football program
    lower in our agenda.
    The wrong people are in power and just have to go with the flow

Rodgarnay51 and 84Trojan like this.
  6. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I didn’t say that they would be stars from day one. We DO have most of our veteran OL coming back and AVT is a stud!

Rodgarnay51 and USCAlumFightOn like this.
  7. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Let’s move USC to TEXAS! And while we are at it get into the Big12.

8. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Well, I was hoping I was all wrong about Folt and Bohn, but they are what you see. The BS was very thick from day 1. This team is gonna get throttled next year and the years after. Cue the exit of GH.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  9. Ojaitrojan

Ojaitrojan Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    But he was the same coach as this year and those three didn't blow us out? Honestly, with the coaching job we got this year, and assuming better health we're probably beating four out of those five teams. I was ready for a change, but that doesn't mean teams that will be losing key players, and only narrowly beat us, or lost to us, this year are suddenly blowing us out.

USCAlumFightOn likes this.
  10. Ojaitrojan

Ojaitrojan Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I understand that more than half the games are on the road, and I'm already conceding the game to Alabama. However, the other four teams will be regressing because they're losing very key players. I'm not saying we're going to win, but, nothing indicates we're going to get blown out. I would suggest, that even in spite of our coaching we have a decent chance to beat those four teams just because of the experience gap that we'll have over those other programs.

11. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Time to unite. Bring back the glory. Fight On!
    images (49).jpeg

12. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    You know what? I'm not even that mad or upset. Disappointed? Sure. But surprised? Not in the least bit.

I'm not vilifying Bohn or Folt, as I think they were handed a flaming bag of dog turds wrt the football team, and didn't exactly have a situation where they were set up for success. Thanks to Lynn Swann's inexplicable contract extension for Coach Helton, their hands were tied unless Helton really, really, really shit the bed this year, and honestly, he hasn't.

Tamatoa916 and 84Trojan like this.
  13. Fan Since 65

Fan Since 65 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    This a very thoughtful post, and I agree with much of it. I hope Helton turns into the coach every fan wants him to be. My beef is not really with him, but with the administration. I get the feeling they’re attitude is much like the leadership at GM in the 1970s when lower ranking managers were sounding the alarm about how the Japanese manufacturers were operating, and the quality they were instilling in their products. No one at the top wanted to listen.

As a loyal fan, I will continue to root for the Trojans. My hope for next season are back to just two games. Beat ND and UCLA. Anything beyond that is gravy. My expectations are no higher than that.

Tamatoa916 and GoSC1 like this.
  14. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Everyone seems to think that Darnold saved Clay's job when he was here. In my opinion, Slovis is already as good as Darnold was...so why can he not will the team to win just like Darnold did? The team went 21-4 during those two seasons and we have far more talent right now than we did then...and a 1000x better OC (if he stays). The schedule is no more difficult next season than it was in 2016...except there's really Utah and Oregon...and everyone else. Stanford is on a downturn unlike 2016. Same with UW. PAC12 is middle heavy right now.

Tamatoa916 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  15. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Nicely written, you got me to see past my anger.

16. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    The solace this year for me, is the UCLA victory...

17. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    If Harrell leaves, I'm concerned that Slovis will follow. Harrell also know how to use Slovis, not sure Helton does. The key will be whether Harrell stays or not, imo

18. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    REAL thick! Folt, Bohn and Helton. 3/4 of the Mount Rushmore of bullshitters.

19. Rodgarnay51

Dec 5, 2019
    To UNLV? Don't think so.

20. Rodgarnay51

Dec 5, 2019
    I agree somewhat. If it's purely passing you're talking about, I agree that Slovis is a better pure passer than Darnold.