Official: Helton retained, to continue as USC head coach

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 4, 2019.

1. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Great post! Thank you for taking the time to write this up. Fight On!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Esthersar likes this.
  2. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019

Those are just empty words. They don't exist in reality making since he never experienced bringing a school to that level.

You just described the never-ending cycle of suck.

Trojanopolis likes this.
  3. OCBeachTrojan

OCBeachTrojan Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Doing the SAME THING over & over & over again and thinking you’re going to get a DIFFERENT RESULT...you think Bohn-less would have been smart enough to figure that out with his “review of Gomer” and the “state of the USC football program”!

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  4. TrojanFireHorse12

Dec 4, 2019
    Those two things would never stack up with current elite programs, under a legitimate review and comparison. So it had to be a very short review if that's the conclusion he came to. Especially after watching the Oregon game.

Meaning, he learned nothing from his time as an unemployed journeyman until the UC came through. Where the former AD set up much of the groundwork and plans before him, and he just followed the blueprint. I'm starting to think.

I mean if the program is about championships. Then Mr. Fight would be announcing some changes. That he thinks is going to save his ass, when it's not. Unless of course, he fires himself, for his own poor performance.

5. TommyTrojan

TommyTrojan Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    So I'm starting to think the issue is with the BoT. How do they get their positions and how do we get rid of them?

6. Alvaro Carrillo

Alvaro Carrillo Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I would feel better if I knew that Helton would ax Pendergast and Baxter. But I know he would never do that on his own. They only way that would happen is if Bohn would force him to do so.

7. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I thought Helton’s comments were interesting when he spoke of the support from the administration. I seem to remember many pointing to the lack of resources USC has dedicated to the program and how far behind the program lagged from every major program in contention for titles. This is a very good start and perhaps forms the foundation for a more inviting location to build a championship program.

8. USCAlumFightOn

Dec 4, 2019

A big time assistant coach is coming. I hope that makes your day better. Fight On!

9. SCBIGTIME

SCBIGTIME Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    What does that even mean?

10. Trojans_Oilers

Trojans_Oilers Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Okay, the decision has been made, now what? With the backlash coming from fans and alumni, Clay will continue to be on the hot seat, and when that happens:
    - Harrell will look to jump at another job the first chance he gets
    - We won't be able to find a good D-coordinator or other good replacement assistant coaches with them knowing their fate will be tied to Clay's. That means we may still end up with Clancy and Baxter
    - Recruits will continue to see Clay as a dead man walking and choose to commit elsewhere

It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

11. USCAlumFightOn

Dec 4, 2019
    We need to make sure Harrell doesn't go anywhere. Straight from the top that a big time assistant coach is coming. Also recruiting will definitely pick up. CJ Stroud was just on campus on his own dime and we have some nice prospects visiting this weekend. Also reports from the insiders that a handful of blue chippers are ready to commit to Helton. Fight On!

12. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Time to offer 55

13. Debra Gentz

Debra Gentz New Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Helton is a tier 2 coach who will never bring on a tier one coordinator/assistant-- didn't we go through this already (yup he hired the o line coach dismissed by Harbaugh). And the AD from that powerhouse Univ of Cincinnati knows how to build a powerhouse football program--like the one he tried to build at Colorado? And Carol Folt also is from a smaller school with no notion of a sports program....isn't it clear that football is a strong revenue source for the dying school we have. (WIll someone tell her our colors are cardinal and gold---the woman always comes to a game in Crimson tide red---and of course, where ever there is a camera, there is Carol).
    This administration takes alums for granted--- so, UCLA games are 30% full --- thats soon coming to USC. Many of us cannot take the Monday morning QB program excuses.... Hell, why get rid of Swann for another clueless AD. At least you had to respect Swann for his accomplishments as a Trojan

14. madstract

madstract Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    UNOFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM BOHN (:)
    I'm saddened to let you all know that I couldn't attract any coaches acceptable to USC standards and expectations. Considering Coach Helton's buyout, I believe spending money to upgrade the coaching staff is the best alternative for now. Coach Harrell is likely to leave, but there are bound to be a few talented assistants willing to take our money for a one year audition. Continuity with our offense would be nice. Then again, other coaches will have an entire off-season to outsmart Clay. Personally, the turnover margin, yellow flags, and attendance sicken me the most. Those concerns must improve or my job will be on the line, too. That's why I've made recommendations for some assistant coaches that should be shown the door. Clay has promised me he'll have those conversations.

In the meantime, please support USC in whatever bowl game it attends. I feel confident the location will start with "San."

In conclusion, I hope Coach Helton's job status doesn't get to his head. I haven't fired him yet, but I have a feeling I will be at USC further into the future than him. A bad bowl loss and early season blowout by Alabama will not help his cause. Wins, turnover margin, penalties, and attendance will determine how long he lasts. I fully realize USC has high standards. Even though I'm probably the first USC athletic director with actual training for the position in your lifetime, I realize you likely think I'm a worthless tool or boner right now. I'm here for the long haul though and I'll do the best that I can.

Fight On! ... most of the time ... just not very much right now

15. USCAlumFightOn

Dec 4, 2019

They also brought in Kliff and then Harrell. Football isn't that strong of a revenue source for the school. It's very strong for the athletic department but small potatoes in comparison to the other revenue streams.

16. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    That's where you're wrong accepting a loss to Alabama as a given. Alabama is the very team SC needs to beat but mediocrity has set in where it's okay to lose to the powerhouses. That's not the SC I'm willing to settle for.

17. TrojanFireHorse12

Dec 4, 2019
    JUST STOP with the bs

Do you also believe in unicorns? do you not remember, the freaking Oregon game at all?

Because he's not learning shit if he can't even prepare his team for the most basic coaching ever. He's been here long enough. He shouldn't 'learn" at the expanse of the team or others.

Also, many years to come? no seriously do YOU have a skull? lol. The dude doesn't know how to motivate players at all. Otherwise, after that dumb ass kickoff, the team would have bounced back like a well-coached team would. Otherwise ASU would have never been in that game, Otherwise, UCLA wouldn't have given up 500 yards on the defense.

No coach is growing after going 5-7. So this isn't growth, I'm tired of folks trying sugar coat this shit.

Do you know what growth is? Clemson, LSU, Georgia that's growth, two of which in the toughest conference like many believe. And those teams would kick our ass, you can spot the differences.

Furthermore, you don't have two winning seasons, then go to complete shit, like that and barely get out the water the next year. Thinking it's an uptick...total nonsense. The fact of the matter is, no matter what is changed or who is added, HE, the Head Coach is responsible for everything, for making sure his team is always prepared no matter the situation.

You don't learn that, that's an instinct, a drive. Mr. Fitght does not know what toughness is and teams need to play with it. See the disconnect? he refuses to practice live tackling, he refuses to follow through on his promises to improve things, he doesn't utilize all his practices in his dumb belief in "fresh legs'. He plays favorites, he has no core beliefs that result in clear progress, that the team can rally behind.

The guy can't even get his story straight on what type of team he wants to field. He's a fool with no focus and no plan. Other coaches understand that now, the fox broadcasts were disgusted after that game, seeing the level of idiocy of that kickoff return.

KeepCalm&FightOn likes this.
  18. TrojanFireHorse12

Dec 4, 2019
    Because they know what they're doing.