Offensive line, play calling, and schemes.

Discussion in 'Trojan Huddle' started by Troianus Acies, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Offensive line, play calling, and schemes.
    Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Really like all the defensive progress in recruiting, practice and so on. Bright future there.

But...I have not heard very much about the weakness we displayed with non creative play calling, not so physical offensive line play, few if any Q.B. behind center plays, dual running back plays or tight end plays. There is also the issue of the type of blocking schemes employed and some trouble at third and short conversions.

I will plead my ignorance early on about being anywhere near to a seasoned novice football analyst...but it is of great concern to me (I.M.H.O.) whether or not we are actually emphasizing a dominant physical offensive line with improved play calling, or whether it is more of what we have already seen in the last two seasons.

Again I.M.H.O., it seems that physically tough and dominant offensive lines and superior play calling (to the strengths of a team) are hallmarks of National Champs. It is said that defense wins games...and that is partially true so long as you also have a dependable physically dominant offense capable of controlling the time of possession and scoring points.

Does anyone know if the offensive line is getting the same attention (recruiting and S.& C. training) as the defense and if there is a desire to create more innovative play calling.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018

2. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jul 12, 2018
    The assumption is that Tyson is gone and Drevno was brought in, but we’re not going to find out until we play Stanford. Staff won’t be tipping their hats until then. But those are THE questions...

3. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Jul 12, 2018
    We know it's going to be all Drevno, no matter what is put out by Hellton for public consumption.

4. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Fall camp if open will be revealing.

5. Jcanderson69

Jcanderson69 Junior Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Depending on who you speak to Callaway was going to be gone after last season, but will stay for the last year of his contract and basically retire. Drevno appears to be his and Tee Martin’s replacement as most think Tee will be gone after the season for greener pastures. I’m not sure what HC job will come available that will pluck him as I don’t see him leaving as a lateral.

I hope Drenvo brings and is able to implement more power schemes they ran at Stanford and Michigan and help develop the Oline that way. Would be a huge program boost.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    TrojanHorse and CrownoftheValley like this.
  6. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I’m in this camp.

Sure hope they are working to correct the woes we had last season. The bright side is a lot of players got meaningful reps last year.

7. biglouie

biglouie Junior Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Why does a QB have to scramble to find an open reciever so frequently if the game plan is well conceived. Could it be the other team knows what we run and when we will run it.

Trojan Man 30 and oldtrojan93 like this.
  8. oldtrojan93

oldtrojan93 Junior Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Does anyone know if Neil signed an extension?

9. Jcanderson69

Jcanderson69 Junior Member

Jul 13, 2018
    no he didnt, this is last year of his deal per previous reports. If something got signed SC isnt making it public. which would be odd not to for an assistant coach

10. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Not sure about that. What did we learn after our first Stanford game last year? The way we manhandled them in the running game you'd have thought the OL was going to be a strength all year. Instead, as has been mentioned here a thousand times, we were inconsistent at best. We either peaked early or the Trees just weren't ready for us.

Trojan Man 30 and Troianus Acies like this.
  11. Troianus Acies

Jul 13, 2018
    I

I truly worry that the offensive line will again be a weak spot along with the blocking schemes, game plans, and play calling.

For two seasons we have heard how the Trojans are returning to the physicality they have been noted for. That the running game will be improved and will produce against the Ohio State, Notre Dames, and other top teams. That we have a great balance of offensive running and passing plays in games, that our average yardage per game are good, etc...etc...means nothing if you cannot compete in bowl games against other top teams, have difficulty converting critical third down situations and do not have convincing wins over lesser opponents.

I am dyed in the wool of cardinal and gold and will always support the Trojans, win or lose. But I fear we are wandering away from what makes great teams. Alabama is an example of physically overpowering your opponents, play calling to your strengths, in your face smash mouth execution and serious game plan preparation. Alabama is nothing more than a mirror image of past Trojan teams and how they once played the game.

I want to hear someone say..."I fear we have awoken a sleeping juggernaut in USC football" and then shove it in the NCAA's face!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  12. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jul 13, 2018
    I wouldn't mind if USC decides to have a "you call the play" fan day for a few games. Fans usually call for the flea flicker. I hope something more creative like what the Eagles and I think the Bears called using that misdirection lateral, handoff thing near the goal line. That would be cool ; )

13. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Jul 13, 2018
    . Our plays are designed for the qb to run around like his hair is on fire. :-)

Trojan Man 30 likes this.
  14. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jul 13, 2018
    I appreciate your dyed (not died) wool loyalty but let's all give the Alabama thing a rest. It's become such a tired standard by which we judge all things USC. Yes, they are at the top but from where USC was after the debacle of Kiffin, Orgeron, Sark, Haden, and harsh sanctions, expecting our team to execute at that level in this amount of time is just plain delusional. Our recruiting towards a full roster--especially along the LOS--has just caught up some 2 years ago. I guarantee you Alabama has been doing that since Saban arrived in 2007, and they weren't that bad before he got there.

Besides, it's not just Alabama's OL or offensive physicality--it's their defense that allows their equally pedestrian offense to succeed. If and when we get a defense like that, then we won't need to score 30 points a game to win. We won't need to pass 50-60% of the time. We won't need to throw passes inside the 10-yd. line. We can then afford to play more power-oriented football like years past.

Btw, Alabama also has some discouraging performances over "lesser opponents." All teams do--that's CFB.

Troken, TrojanFireHorse12 and Pudly76 like this.
  15. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Jul 13, 2018
    What I want to know is... what about 2016 season did you NOT like, once we got past the 1-3 start? The reason there were such high hopes for 2017 season was because in 2016 we WERE blowing lesser opponents out (7 wins by 3+ scores), beating the “elite” teams (Washington, Penn St.), and becoming the USC “of old”. So you are basically basing this “worry” on 1 season where we didn’t pass the visual test?

By all indications, our offense in 2017 was vastly better than our defense, ranking in the top 20 in total, passing, and scoring offense. I know we can complain about certain aspects of the offense - red zone playcalling, offensive line play, “uncreative” playcalling (which I disagree is an issue) - but we are really nitpicking about a team that averaged 34+ ppg, because they didn’t average 41 ppg.

We had a season that, while winning 10 games, felt unsatisfying and didn’t meet the expectations we had set forth. Most season, a team will either surpass or fall short of their expectations. Most teams don’t “meet” their expectations, they either fall over or under it. Ohio State didn’t meet expectations. Washington didn’t, Notre Dame didn’t. Oklahoma State, Florida State, Michigan... I could go on and on. We had one full season where we in a way exceeded expectations, and another where we in a way fell short of it, under Helton. It’s not something to “truly worry” about, because there is not track record one way or another to ma of judgment. There’s been no pattern to establish any conclusion. We should all relax and let the season unfold, this season might actually give us a clue.

Troken and Pudly76 like this.
  16. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Jul 13, 2018
    I mean the lack of the offense's ability to score near or in the red zone was very problematic. Despite some of the rankings, especially in the Ohio state game and other games last season, where we had many chances to even the score or win. It's been a huge issue.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    oldtrojan93, yah20002 and DJ4SC like this.
  17. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Jul 13, 2018

I think our offense would be more effective if we put our QB under center from time to time. It would definitely keep the defense honest.

18. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Jul 14, 2018
    There were enough times last two seasons for me where the red zone effectiveness was frustrating, but to single that out as an issue that would be “truly worrying” of our offense in general is a stretch. It’s certainly something the team has to work on, but it’s not like our offense has to be completely redesigned. It’s an aspect of the game that needs improving, not an indictment on the entire scheme, staff, players, etc. It’s not like we averaged 20 points a game, which WOULD demand a wholesale change. But we were still a top 20 offense despite that particular shortfall. Otherwise we’d be saying that the only way we would be happy is if we were a top 5 offense? That’s a very lofty expectation...

Troken likes this.
  19. Troianus Acies

Jul 14, 2018
    Set the bar at normal and you get normal achievement.

Set the bar just a bit higher and you get the desire to reach that level.

20. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Jul 14, 2018
    I disagree because I think the red zone performance was symptomatic of a larger problem: the offense was too dependent upon big plays and failed to live up to its potential because it couldn’t finish drives and couldn’t avoid shooting itself in the foot.

You talk about total offense — yards — but you win games with points. USC had yards against Ohio State and Notre Dame, but those offensive performances were horrific. RoJo had lots of yards against Wazzu, but the running game that night was deplorable.

The offense was awful in the red zone and in short yardage, and that means yards often didn’t turn into points. The offense turned the ball over and had too many stupid penalties, which led to the same shortage of point despite the yards.

You win games with points. And despite the yards, USC — with Sam Darnold and RoJo in the backfield! — was right about at the median in the conference for points. It was often an undisciplined mess with poor scheme and play calling that relied on transcendent talents to just out-talent the guy across from them.

I’ve wondered for years how a program like LSU could be so poor offensively with the remarkable offensive talents that have come through that program. USC isn’t at that level of talent-wasting, but you certainly don’t get the sense that the offensive staff makes the whole better than the sum of its parts. Tee and Clay are great recruiters, but they don’t create opportunities for the guys they recruit like the elite offensive minds do.