OC plans to turn Ayres Hotels in care centers for homeless in Laguna Woods

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by reTiredEngr, Apr 2, 2020.

1. OC plans to turn Ayres Hotels in care centers for homeless in Laguna Woods
    reTiredEngr

reTiredEngr Junior Member

Apr 2, 2020

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Truly cannot understand this decision. Despicable they did it without any input from the people who live there and will be most impacted. 24/7 security means those security guards will potentially be at risk and won't those security guards possibly be using local services, spreading the virus? Just why in hell should folks at that point in their life have to live with an added burden of health risk when it's already there? Horrible, horrible decision.

3. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Apr 3, 2020
    Ayres must be in the red up and going for the money. Why else would they do this ? .

4. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Owner made a deal to fill an empty hotel, can not argue with that. We need to keep sick homeless off the streets or this whole process is a waste. They made deals all across the state, not just laguna hills

5. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    They have a LOT of empty hotels. The reason they picked this one, just like the one near UCIMC, is it's proximity to Saddleback Hospital. Another dumbfuck idea because that hospital and it's ER is FILLED WITH SENIORS.

Putting sick, likely drug-addicted, criminally-minded homeless people, right by the most vulnerable in society is fucked up. Why am I not surprised that you don't care. And this is really just a long-term way to get homeless into a place they will probably never leave. This is costing the county $16K/day! The homeless community is finite. They aren't currently out and about with the public in general. But now they are within spitting distance of seniors.

6. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Vball it does no good for everyone to lose their jobs if we are just going to let the homeless run wild with the covid. Everyone is making sacrifices, what counts now is quick decisions. Newsome is on the right track. If they put it in Mission Viejo someone else would complain. Maybe we need 3 years of hearings.

7. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    HO CARES?...ACCORDING TO A.O.C (Ass Of the Century) WE WILL ALL BE DOOMED IN 12 YEARS ANYWAY!

8. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Apr 4, 2020
    Isn’t it down to 10 years, 5 months and 28 days now?

9. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    It does no good to pay $16k/day to put the most vulnerable in danger of a virus that they have worked VERY hard to avoid. We are essentially saying we value their lives less than drug-addicted sick homeless people, many of whom PREFER to live on the street. When was the last time you crossed paths or got within 6' of a homeless person in your hood or where you shop? What good will it do to send them to Saddleback Hospital when that place is filled with seniors?

I would also complain about Mission Viejo because they rank 15th in the country for urban communities (population over 250k) for high percent of senior citizens. The problem with the MV location is it's distance from hospitals. Set up triage tents and let them be treated that way, away from senior citizens. They are being assigned medical care so does it matter where tents are set up? This is about Ayers hotel wanting the money, Newsom manipulating things so down the road he can boast how he reduced the homeless population, and an OC governing body who made a close-door decision that has dismissed the concerns of what is typically a very vocal and participative/activist group. There are Ayers hotels in Newport Beach and Seal Beach. Why weren't they in the running?

10. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

LaissezFaire28thStUSC Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    This is near Leisure World, a large 55+ area in Laguna Woods. Old people are the most vulnerable to the China virus. It is another example of government incompetence to put patients with the China virus near a large retirement area. Put up a tent or use an empty flea bag in a remote area instead.

11. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Of course Newsome is on the right path. I mean, he was sure not to pick a hotel in his or Pelosi's backyard.

DJ4SC and Troianus Acies like this.
  12. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    They have already contracted 7000 rooms, it't not only Laguna Hills. $16k is a drop in the bucket to the tax revenue they are losing with all malls and car dealers closed. You said it, the criteria was close to a hospital. Personally I want to get this over with ASAP and doing something with the homeless is a must do or we are just wasting out time.

Maybe you have never paid attention, but I have no love for the homeless or drug addicts. They had a chance and blew it, I could care less of their destiny. But I do want to get people back to work

13. Troianus Acies

Apr 4, 2020
    You have to love 901...he always makes things clearer for my posting errors...

Sincerest Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  14. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    I mean, no one is thinking that killing off large numbers of seniors is the only way to save Social Security?

15. Troianus Acies

Apr 4, 2020

That is at the very bottom of the list for reasons why this Covid 19 ultra panic promotion is being pushed to the hilt...

There is much more than meets the eye here.

16. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    It was tongue in cheek, but the government often does things that wind up being worse than the most diabolical machinations of an evil mind.......while honestly trying to do good.

When this virus exploded by late February/early March, I recall that there was concern about it getting into the prison population and among the homeless (oops - can't even call them that anymore - it's "people experiencing homelessness"). I was puzzled because I was pretty positive that, if it was already in among suburban dwelling folks who generally have good sanitation services and hygiene, then it was definitely going to have already spread to the prisons and the homeless.

17. reTiredEngr

reTiredEngr Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    You do have a tendency to lose focus, don't you? The issue is not the cost; the issue is that the government is plunking a bunch of covid-19 patients right in the middle of a place with 18,000 very high risk residents. The fact that you have no love for the homeless is irrelevant in this case.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  18. SonofGodzilla

SonofGodzilla Points Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Wait, weren't those close to the end expendable to keep the country from an economic disaster ?