OC open dine in

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, May 23, 2020.

2. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

May 23, 2020
    Good for the OC.....

LA still sitting on its ass....smfh

3. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

May 23, 2020
    I’m gonna have to head down there.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 23, 2020
    Bring a mask because along with the opening of restaurants, comes a new requirement to wear one any time you are in public. I await my 1st citation.

5. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

May 23, 2020
    what's the status on the beaches in SoCal? I kinda wanna enjoy the good ol days and go back to surfing.

6. DaFireMedic

May 23, 2020
    I always bring a mask anyway, as most businesses require one for entry.

San Bernardino County downgraded their mask policy from “required” to “recommended”, although I still have to wear one anytime I’m on the fire engine.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    uscfd and Peete2Affholter like this.
  7. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

May 24, 2020
    Spendt my whole career wearing a mask. My fav steak & rib place owner told me he will have me as sole diner.

Peete2Affholter and DaFireMedic like this.
  8. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 24, 2020
    In OC, it's a city-by-city thing. Irvine was the first to require them and I know in Huntington Beach they are required for almost all businesses. But there are smaller places in South OC where it's hit or miss. That one Friday when the BoS voted to require all retail workers to wear a mask, most businesses enforced that on customers but after a few weeks, not so much. If you look at the wording from yesterday's announcement from the BoS, it looks like they are required where social distancing isn't possible. I still laugh at the grocery store because people with masks ignore the 6' and I see constant touching/readjusting of masks, and some are wearing scarves as if that will work.
    OC beaches are open for surfing and masks are not required. Laguna still closes at noon on weekends I think. Most of the public parking lots have been re-opened. LA County beaches are open for surfing and active use but you have to wear a mask if you aren't in the water, lol.

norcalsurfer likes this.
  9. DaFireMedic

May 24, 2020
    SB County is now open for dining in as well, with the county asking restaurants and businesses to require distancing and masks for employees and customers, although I see it being somewhat difficult to wear a mask while eating, lol.

I’m going to do what I can to support local restaurants.

10. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 24, 2020
    Customers? No. The mask obviously has to come down every time someone wants to sip their drink, wipe their mouth, take a bite. At that point, they've touched their mask so many times, it's pointless. Restaurants are noisy to begin with. Imagine the server with a mask, customer with a mask, and all yelling to make sure their order is correct, lol. Makes you not want to eat out. Hmmmm.

I'd skip LA County norcal.

"Volunteers acted as “goodwill ambassadors” to remind beachgoers to keep moving and not plant chairs and coolers in the sand, Mooradian said."

People have been putting down towels, chairs, and coolers in OC for 2 weeks. They also play volleyball, soccer, paddle ball. Lifeguards aren't interested in enforcing things and I don't think the police or park rangers are either. Fortunately, there haven't been any Karens reporting other people. Most folks just want to enjoy the beach and the weather.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    norcalsurfer likes this.
  11. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

May 24, 2020
    I have been down to the Huntington Dog Beach 3 times this week. Many people are enjoying the beach as usual and lots of surfers out. My son surfed Huntington yesterday and Newport today and said there were a lot of people in the water as well.

uscvball and norcalsurfer like this.
  12. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

May 24, 2020
    Thanks for the intel. Already here in the OC lol. Staying at the mother-in-law's place in Laguna Niguel. I forgot how great beach weather feels like. Man y'all have it nice here.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  13. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 24, 2020
    Gorgeous day today in South OC.

14. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

May 25, 2020
    We have been in a don't ask don't tell mode in south OC for a couple of weeks. But masks are a courtesy to the employees and small business owners who just want to keep open. I always carry one and use it where it is appropriate

Peete2Affholter likes this.
  15. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

May 25, 2020
    On Sunday, we did our semi-annual wide walking loop around Newport Beach which included lots of time on the Balboa peninsula and Balboa Island. As of 10 am, the beaches were practically empty but the boardwalk was pretty much wall-to-wall people with no social distancing whatsoever and very little masking other than Asians speaking in foreign tongues :-). The same held true for Balboa Island.

16. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

May 26, 2020
    We drove down PCH on Sunday, stopping in Laguna Beach to go for a walk and sat out on a blanket for a while. All the OC beaches were packed, as were many restaurants. From Laguna south -- Dana Point, San Clemente . . . every parking lot was packed, and the beaches were full. Even the State Beaches looked like a lot of people were sneaking in somehow. A lot of restaurants had pulled the tables off their patios and spaced them out by turning parking lots into additional seating with appropriate social distance between tables.

San Clemente and Mission Viejo were hopping. There were so many people out walking, lined up to get take-out at restaurants, and generally having a good time.

As soon as we crossed the San Diego county line, it was alike a ghost town. We jumped on the 5 south and got off at Carlsbad. We wanted to walk the beach but there's no parking anywhere. People were out there, but it was impossible to find a spot to park, so what's the use of putting lifeguards in the towers if people can't find a space to stop and unload their beach stuff? Compared to the OC, there was no street life, nobody walking around . . . sad.

You tell me which local economy is going to bounce back first? While restaurants and other businesses are still hurting, I would imagine that the failure rate of restaurants on the OC PCH strip will be much lower than those elsewhere. Los Angeles county and San Diego county are just shooting themselves in the foot.

80% of the people we saw in Laguna were not wearing masks. It was almost odd when you did see a family wearing them. Everyone was enjoying themselves, and the cops were ignoring us.

17. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

May 26, 2020
    Sounds perfectly reasonable.

Here in northern OC, several of the eateries we used to go to before the pandemic (and which we've continued to patronize via takeout orders) have informed us they will soon be opening for dine in service, albeit with tables spaced farther apart to comply with social distancing rules. I'm pleased with this development.

I don't understand why some people need to have an "all or nothing" approach to things.

Troy70 and DaFireMedic like this.