O/NSO: Oklahoma rivalry edition

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Mar 27, 2020.

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Greg, you got the score of 1982 game reversed. SC won 12-0.

3. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Mar 27, 2020
    Cyrus, did that darn Barry Switzer get into our admin or did somebody try to rewrite history? Yes, the Trojans shutout the Sooners, 12-0, and it has been edited to reflect the correct wonderful outcome. GK

DaFireMedic and Cyrus like this.
  4. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Mar 27, 2020
    yes, our defense broke the wishbone that year.

5. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Mar 27, 2020
    I mentioned in another thread recently that the 1981 game was one of greatest I ever attended at the Coliseum. My buddy and I got to our regular seats and he had a large USC flag with him...along with a pint of Old Grand-Dad which he smuggled in. While leading our section in cheers while waving his flag, he quickly downed the pint of bourbon which he had spiked two extra-large cokes with. In spite of his efforts, the Trojans were down 21-0 and seemed destined to be blown out of the stadium. When the Trojans started gaining momentum in the 2nd half, I excitedly turned to my buddy....only to see that he was asleep and snoring loudly in the seat next to me. He missed one of the most exciting comebacks in USC history, with the #1 Trojans scoring in the last 10 seconds to win 28-24. The crowd was going bonkers..except my buddy. My other memory of that game was being one of the last two out of the 80,000+ fans to leave the Coliseum that day. It was just impossible to wake my friend up. Coliseum security finally came up to me and said they were going to have to arrest us if we did not leave immediately. I had to pick him up and drag him out of Coliseum and somehow get him to his car in the Shrine parking lot on the far side of campus. He threw up all over the interior of it when we finally arrived there.

.....I'll never forget that second half comeback. My friend sadly cannot say the same.

Troy70, KiwiSCfan and gubo&palanka like this.
  6. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Mar 27, 2020
    In terms of competitive excitement, the 1981 game is likely the best of these games. I watched that game as a teenager while I was on a trip to Big Bear with my family, and I remember it well, especially the ending.

But for Trojan fans, the one to cap the 2004 NC season was the one that drove the final nail in the coffin of the 20+ years of relative mediocrity following JR1, and represented the peak of one of the greatest eras of Trojan football. I consider that game to be my finest hour as a USC football fan.

7. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Mar 28, 2020
    Btw, the 1973 game forced Coach to retool the O-line which paid dividends later. Respectively, I did get a couple of fingers on an OU FG attempt which allowed us to hold OU to only 7 points. Defensively we understood how to play against option teams. Lots I could say but this was a memorable game but the Joe Washington pint return is hilarious for me to watch. Missed him twice...good hustle lousy execution!!

8. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Mar 28, 2020
    Who else for non conference rivals?

Ohio State? Texas? Alabama?

We’ve had some special games with each of ‘em.

9. Bilbo

Bilbo Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Mar 28, 2020
    Michigan ?
    Can you please skip the 1948 or 1949 rose bowl...
    thanks for the stroll down SC v OU memory lane .. 81 game was an all time great

10. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Mar 29, 2020
    You guys really were quick to attack the ball carrier and the backs who did not get the ball. No hesitation at all. Great defense.

11. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger Junior Member

Mar 31, 2020
    In more ways than one. Switzer abandoned his beloved wishbone after that game, frustrated that he couldn't get the ball regularly to star freshman halfback Marcus Dupree. USC's shut out was the first time Oklahoma had failed to score since 1966 vs. Notre Dame. Oklahoma's 181 game scoring streak was an NCAA record at the time. The following game was the first time Oklahoma was out of the wishbone since the game prior to the Texas game in 1970. Dupreee was phenomenal out of the slot I formation the remainder of the season. I think it was 7 consecutive games with a 70+ yard touchdown run. Something like that. After Dupree left the program early during the 1983 season, Oklahoma stuck with the same offense before returning to the wishbone in 1984. Then a national championship followed in 1985 with freshman Jamelle Hollieway.

Switzer was always incredibly frustrated with those first two games he coached in the Coliseum, 1973 and 1981. Oklahoma controlled play in both games but ended up with a loss and a tie. The stats were lopsided in 1973...389 yards for the Sooners to 161 for USC.

USC was a 7 point favorite in that 1973 game. The Sooners would not be underdog of that size for more than a decade. That 1973 game is also the last time Oklahoma has covered a game against USC.

Here are some of the others:

* 1981: USC -3.5 hosting Oklahoma
    * 1982: Oklahoma -1 hosting USC
    * 1988: USC pick'em hosting Oklahoma
    * 1992: Oklahoma -10 hosting USC
    * 2004: USC -1 neutral site vs Oklahoma

Cyrus likes this.
  12. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Mar 31, 2020
    I was at both those games and I don't blame Switzer for being frustrated. Our defense wasn't really stopping the wishbone much in either game. In the 81 game they fumbled a ridiculous number of times. In the 73 game our defense toughened up when they got in the red zone so they couldn't score much. We actually could have won that game but Haden's TD pass to our TE was nullified by a penalty. But McKay was a fast learner. Later in the year we broke fucla's wishbone pretty good.